Recast sprues

40k your thing? Rules queries, rumours and general discussions, post here!

Moderator: bluffreggie

ThisCharmingDan
Flag: Bhutan

Recast sprues

Postby ThisCharmingDan » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:25 pm

So I keep hearing people online talking about cheep Chinese recasts of warhammer sprues that are on the market now, the quality of them and the moral implications of buying them. Has anybody here ever bought and and if so from where? I'm tempted to try some to see what they are like
Azzabat
Flag: Canada

Re: Recast sprues

Postby Azzabat » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:15 am

A friend of mine (seriously ... It's not me, and I do have a friend) gets his 40k forge world stuff from China for like 1/3 the price, and I can't tell the difference between them.

Don't know where he gets them from though, but the quality is as good as GW.
I know the voices aren't real ... but they have such FASCINATING ideas!

C J = )
ThisCharmingDan

Postby ThisCharmingDan » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:22 am

Thats what I've heard. I don't think I'd buy an army this way as I like to support my local stores and the savings on the occasional £15 model probably wouldn't cover the postage from China. But I would consider buying something that I wouldn't be able to afford otherwise (like a titan for £25). It seems that Games Workshop has really cracked down on these guys anyway so its pretty hard to find them. Might not be worth the effort
Azzabat

Postby Azzabat » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:50 pm

I've ordered lots of (legitimate) stuff from China and the postage is about the same as ordering from the EU.

China is very protective of its own IP but notoriously lax when it comes to other people's IP. They have whole factories churning out knockoff "Volvlo's and "Sumsang's, and the government even runs their own search engine where Chinese people can find these sites.

C J = )
Josh
Committee Member
Flag: Great Britain

Postby Josh » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:03 pm

I have heard people buy knock offs of the big fe toys and the quality is good, after all they just need to make a mold from one purchased from FW. The material itself is a concern. I don't think Chinese knock off shops put too much emphasis on toxin free resin. Defiantly work with a mask if you do get any.

Ethically at the end of the day it is theft of ip. However you feel about GW it is moving a sale from a UK manufacturer to an illegal sweat shop (probably) in China. Toy soldiers is a fairly niche market and much like supporting local stores if you don't vote with your wallet we risk defrading a key part of the gaming scene in the UK.
ThisCharmingDan

Postby ThisCharmingDan » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:09 pm

The moral implications of taking business away from a local store is what keeps me from doing it full force really. And that's why if I was to buy, it would only be something like a Titan which I wouldn't be able to buy otherwise. In my mind that means that I'm not taking any business away from local stores.

I'm not sure it will ever become as prevalent as people downloading a scanned codex, but it could be a big problem if Games Workshop let it get out of hand. Especially at their price point and with the feelings that a lot of people have towards them as a company
Azzabat

Postby Azzabat » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:12 am

The trouble is it's a country (China) not a company so GW can't enforce their IP. Hell ... the American Government can't enforce IP when it comes to China.
(I must admit there is a small part of me that is quietly pleased someone bigger than GW is saying to them "We're MUCH bigger than you so we can do whatever we want." but that's just me being peevish)

Personally I'd never buy from them as I'm all about the ethics (same reason I don't buy from Starbucks or Asda/Walmart) but I can see your reasoning that you wouldn't be buying it from GW in the first place because of cost, so there is no loss of sale.

C J = )
ThisCharmingDan

Postby ThisCharmingDan » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:27 am

GW have done quite a lot to stop the recasters though. They forced them off selling sites like aliexpress and then when they made their own sites, they got those closed down as well. It seems the only way to get them now is through reddit and emailing them directly. And even then it sounds like they won't deal with you unless you are referred by a customer they have already done business with. So even if I decided to buy that knock off titan, I'm not sure if I'd be able/how to do it
Nekhromosis
Committee Member

Postby Nekhromosis » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:40 pm

However much anyone feels about GW's prices it comes down to ethics.

If I had spent time, money and talent on crafting and producing a product only for someone else to come along and cut and paste if making money from it and effectively stopping others buying it from myself, I wouldn't be happy about it.

FW products are premium products and so come at a price. The quality of the molds can be poor in some areas but then they are fantastic at replacing those parts.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie And with strange aeons even death may die."

Return to “Warhammer 40k”