Name the legion

40k your thing? Rules queries, rumours and general discussions, post here!

Moderator: bluffreggie

ThisCharmingDan
Flag: Bhutan

Name the legion

Postby ThisCharmingDan » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:58 pm

Hi all
I caved and picked up a Betrayal At Calth box on the weekend and am now trying to finally decide which legion to paint them all up as. I'm going from the Heresy books that I've read so far (I'm on number 14 - The First Heretic at the moment) and on aesthetics. So can somebody help me name the legions in this pic? In particular I'm interested in the two middle figures on the second row, I assume one is Alpha legion, but what's the other?
Thanks

http://www.spikeybits.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/pic2-2.jpg
Zolas
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Name the legion

Postby Zolas » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:46 pm

Alpha legion is correct and the other is Son of Horus odd greeny colour (formally Luna wolves).

Hope this helps.
ThisCharmingDan

Postby ThisCharmingDan » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:44 am

Thanks! I thought that might be the case. Why are all the best colour schemes taken by traitors? I think I want a loyal legion
rossatdi
Flag: Tokelau

Postby rossatdi » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:10 pm

ThisCharmingDan wrote:Thanks! I thought that might be the case. Why are all the best colour schemes taken by traitors? I think I want a loyal legion

I think you can get away with your own scheme if you tie it in with designs and style.

Also, the Traitors are getting some significant rules improvements in the new red book (from what I understand). The Sons of Horus are no longer S***!
ThisCharmingDan

Postby ThisCharmingDan » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:56 pm

It's not that important in my mind to have a super competitive legion as the basis for my army, I care more about having one that I think looks cool and that I enjoy the Fluff for. I'd also like to be able to use them in 40k games so would prefer a legion that I could realistically play in both. I think that only leaves me with Space Wolves (who I don't like in 40k), Alpha Legion (who I don't want in 40k) or Ultramarnines. Is that a dull choice though?
captyn bob
Flag: Wales

Postby captyn bob » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:49 pm

Don't forget white scars. They are gorgeous in my opinion and now have rules, and are competative loyalists in 30k and 40k.
ThisCharmingDan

Postby ThisCharmingDan » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:59 pm

I tried to paint a white army before and realised that it's pretty tough to get looking great. Plus I'm not that big a fan of them visually but I'm not sure why.

Which legion do we think are in the bottom left of that image?
Zolas

Postby Zolas » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:23 pm

Iron warriors. From top to bottom for you here the list.

1. Iron hands 2. Night Lords 3. Word Bearers 4. World Eaters.

5. Blood Angels 6. Alpha Legion 7. Sons of Horus 8. Dark Angels.

9. Raven Guard 10. Salamanders. 11. White scars 12. Imperial Fists.

13. Iron Warriors 14. Emperors Children. 15. Death Guard 16. Ultramarines.

Note there are 2 legions missing Space Wolves and Thousand sons.

Hope this helps. :)
ThisCharmingDan

Postby ThisCharmingDan » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:46 pm

Thanks, thats very useful. Its confirmed that all my favorite looking legions are traitors.

Would you all think I was dull if I used Ultramarines? I see so much hate for them on forums that i'm afraid to use them
rossatdi
Flag: Tokelau

Postby rossatdi » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:19 pm

I don't think so. Ultras are pretty cool in 30k, they're much less annoying plus their legion rules require some nuance to use.
Nekhromosis
Committee Member

Postby Nekhromosis » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:28 pm

Speaking on behalf of the Traitors.... Iron Warriors and Knight Lords aesthetic haven't changed that much since the Heresy, so visually suited to both 30 and 40K. Same goes for Word Bearers (deep red colour scheme) and Alpha legion but to a lesser extent as you can argue both have gone a bit more spiky/daemonic since their 30K look.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie And with strange aeons even death may die."
bluffreggie

Postby bluffreggie » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:06 pm

ive done space wolves in a diferent colour, ive gone for a grey/green colour to make them different.
ive been tempted to do an utramarines army or an imperial fist army, both use the colours of their 40k counterparts so your laughing there.
ThisCharmingDan

Postby ThisCharmingDan » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:30 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys. I would like to do an Alpha Legion scheme, but I just can't bring myself to play chaos in 40k. As a result I'll be doing Ultramarines. I just need to go to the shops and pick up some blue spray paint
hannibal

Postby hannibal » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:59 pm

Like you Dan i always found Ultramarines a bit dull due to the GW fluff but read the Heresy book Know No Fear and they are great, totally changed my opinion of them. if that's doesn't convince you that 30k ultramarines are cool nothing will.
Happy to lend it to you if you can't get a copy.
I don't lose games, I just sometimes run out of models
ThisCharmingDan

Postby ThisCharmingDan » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:22 am

Thanks Hannibal, thats really kind of you. I'm looking forward to getting to that book, but am trying to do them all in order (which might not be the best idea), so I'm about 5 books away at the moment.
I can't wait to get there though as I'm not even reading loads of the material in the Calth box in case it ruins anything. It seems a little odd to me that the Ultra's have been so absent in the Heresy stories so far, but maybe the authors find them a little boring as well.
Captain Taelos
Committee Member

Postby Captain Taelos » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:49 pm

Don't worry, Ultramarines are a great Heresy choice - they have some cool models from Forgeworld and you get plenty of transfers in the Calth boxed set. The Black Library's writers have done a great job of making them cool, as mentioned above Know No Fear is excellent, but also Mark of Calth and Unremembered Empire are great books featuring Ultramarines being cool. The reason they're not mentioned early on is that they're out on the Eastern Fringe of the Galaxy and are unaware of the Heresy until relatively late - it's certainly not because anyone thinks they're boring!

Return to “Warhammer 40k”