Proxies vs. Counts as vs. Converted models

40k your thing? Rules queries, rumours and general discussions, post here!

Moderator: bluffreggie

Sun Wukong
Flag: Great Britain

Proxies vs. Counts as vs. Converted models

Postby Sun Wukong » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:27 pm

Hello all!

I had a general question, I hope it can be answered.

What is the difference between 'proxies' and 'counts as' and 'converted models'?

Take the example of a modelling project I want to undertake, which is a band of Jokaero Weaponsmiths. The rules for this are tournament legal strictly speaking, because you can take Inquisitor Coteaz, who then lets you take henchmen as troops, but the problem is that the stock Jokaero model is this (and there's only so many ways you can convert it).

Is it permissible to grab models from other companies and say they are Jokaero Weaponsmiths? Take this little guy for an example. Ticks all the boxes I would guess because he is a monkey who looks like he's from a 40K setting?

Note I know that a band of Jokaero Weaponsmiths is a very weak gimmick, that part doesn't bother me, I am just curious about how 'tournament legal' it can be from a modeling perspective.

Kind regards
Shaolin Wolf
Flag: Wales

Re: Proxies vs. Counts as vs. Converted models

Postby Shaolin Wolf » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:21 pm

I use all sorts of models from other companies (for Guard/cultists etc) and have never had any issues. I guess It just depends on who you are up against or the rules and regs of the said tournament, but in my eyes as long as the model is about the right size, is armed in a way that is clear what its supposed to have, and you could guess at a glance what the model represents, then I think you are ok.

Obviously at GW stores and events etc other companies models are a big no-no, but phhhh to that.
FIRST RANK, FIRE!
Captain Taelos
Committee Member
Flag: Great Britain

Postby Captain Taelos » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:34 pm

I think in general most of us here go for "Does it look like what it's supposed to, and can it be confused for anything else in the game." In the case of your Sci fi ape above, it would be pretty clear to most people that it's a Jokaero - there's nothing else it can be - so it looks fine to me!
rossatdi
Flag: Tokelau

Postby rossatdi » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:03 am

The only thing to add is that if you're attending an event or tournament at Warhammer World - it is (very) strictly GW produced models only.

But yeah, most events are pretty relaxed if its clear what it is (like your adorable space ape).

Return to “Warhammer 40k”