Getting started with 30k

40k your thing? Rules queries, rumours and general discussions, post here!

Moderator: bluffreggie

ObviousPlayer
Flag: Great Britain

Getting started with 30k

Postby ObviousPlayer » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:37 am

Hello folks,

So I've seen the new Leman Russ model and am now quite keen on a fledgling 30k army. I was wondering how does one get started with the Horus Heresy? There are so many books I'm not sure where to begin. Do I also need the standard 40k rules to play or are they re-printed in the FW books? Any tips/guidance would be very welcome.

Thanks

Chris

Can play: Warhammer AOS, Batman Miniatures Game, AVP, Confrontation AoR
Interested in: Warzone Resurrection, Infinity
bluffreggie

Re: Getting started with 30k

Postby bluffreggie » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:41 pm

Hi Chris,

The first thing i would say is welcome to 30k (the bigger and better brother of 40k)!

The second is pick your legion!!

The game still uses the basic 40k rules however there are additional rules captured in the Forgeworld army books.

I think that the best way to get started is to pick the new space marine legion book up from forgeworld, this will provide you with the basic army list with most of the legions rites of war. Most legions have specific units or rules, however space wolves dont have either until their book comes out (rumoured to be this year).

The legion astartes book acts as the codex for all armies with all non army specific units being represented. specific books (the latest is book 6) covers individual chapters.

if you head over to smells like heresy on facebook its a local bristol 30k page which has a lot of info and people are really knowlegdable on the subject. Or you could head over to Bristol Vanguards facebook page and ask there as well.

if you know what army you want to start with i can try and direct you in the right direction.

Dan
ObviousPlayer

Postby ObviousPlayer » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:54 am

Thanks Dan. I am definitely after Space Wolves (I want that Primarch!) so if their book is due out later this year I will start painting some grey chaps with bolters whilst I await the full release. Thanks for the tips :)

Can play: Warhammer AOS, Batman Miniatures Game, AVP, Confrontation AoR
Interested in: Warzone Resurrection, Infinity
bluffreggie

Postby bluffreggie » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:59 am

No problem. It better be out this year Ive waited long enough.

Tactical squads are great and the main staple of the armies. I'd stop yourself from buying big toys until we know the wolves rite of War as I have a sneaky suspicion that a lot of drop pods will be involved

Return to “Warhammer 40k”