The 9th Age Website

The place for any general Warhammer rules queries, rumours and general discussions.
Munkey

The 9th Age Website

Postby Munkey » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:51 pm

The link below will take you to the new 9th Age website, it includes the current rules and an updated Beastmen army book!

http://www.the-ninth-age.com/news/index ... age-rules/

And not a round base in sight :)
Yay! I'm good with Skavens again :lol:

"F*** you Nibbles" "I thought I was going to get Best in Race...then I saw your name on the list and all hope vanished"
RichyB
Flag: Great Britain

Re: The 9th Age Website

Postby RichyB » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:16 pm

Nice one. I'll take a look at that when I get back from holiday.
Badrott

Postby Badrott » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:44 pm

Im enjoying Kings of War too much to read this in depth, but had a quick browse.

However, i'll keep an eye on this and see how it develops, as its clearly in a rough draft state at present. The positive is that at least its not round bases.
Kings of War UK number one ranked Orc general.

2016 Bristol Vanguard Dreadball League Champions - Da Pirates (Orcs+Goblins)
KolgothMountaineater

Postby KolgothMountaineater » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:51 pm

Looks very promising. I don't know enough about the existing Beastmen book to notice what has changed but if the giant rules and their much reduced cost are anything to go by, when ogres get treated I may start regularly using my giant(s) as they look quite good now at 140 points
That rumbling's not thunder, the great maw hungers!!

I lead the mightiest ogre horde in Bristol!

WHFB armies: High Elves, Ogre Kingdoms, Lizardmen, Skaven, Nippon Empire, Dwarf Slayers, & Orcs & Goblins.
40k armies: Black Templars & Orks
Warmahordes: Legion of Everblight & Rhulic Mercenaries
Mailifaux factions: Ten Thunders & Viktorias
Necromunda: Cawdor gang
Badrott

Postby Badrott » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:05 am

Who is behind this? Not sure I like the idea of changing units points costs and new army books made by some random in a shed.

Sceleris

Postby Sceleris » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:53 am

Iirc it the guys behind the Swedish comp that's used in a number of tournaments
Badrott

Postby Badrott » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:11 am

Sceleris wrote:Iirc it the guys behind the Swedish comp that's used in a number of tournaments

Will be interesting to see how it develops. Good thing is we have options.

KolgothMountaineater

Postby KolgothMountaineater » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:12 am

Badrott wrote:Who is behind this? Not sure I like the idea of changing units points costs and new army books made by some random in a shed.

It's much bigger and better than that Matt. It's a ruleset being developed through playtesting (an alien concept to GW) and community input (just spend some time looking into it on the Warhammer forum). While the ruleset is still in very early development stages, as stated above, the Beastmen already have a new army book (admittedly stated as "an example of what is to come for all races" on the 9th age website) and I believe that Bretonnia is being talked about as next.

WHFB armies: High Elves, Ogre Kingdoms, Lizardmen, Skaven, Nippon Empire, Dwarf Slayers, & Orcs & Goblins.
Munkey

Postby Munkey » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:17 am

The 9th Age is being written by the people behind Swedish AND ETC comp.

It is very likely to be adopted for next years ETC and for the American Nationals, which is huge. If it is adopted it will definitely be supported by several tournaments.

It's being written by the people, for the people ;)
Yay! I'm good with Skavens again :lol:

"F*** you Nibbles" "I thought I was going to get Best in Race...then I saw your name on the list and all hope vanished"
Badrott

Postby Badrott » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:13 pm

double post
Last edited by Badrott on Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Badrott

Postby Badrott » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:14 pm

I cant be bothered to play something that is going to change every 5 minutes because of playtesting and development at this stage, however ill keep an eye on this and see how it turns out.

Dwarfs can march 9 inches - what the actual F***? Can anyone please explain how a Dwarf can run faster than an Orc, Goblin, Human or Chaos Warrior?

I was starting to get bored of WHFB 8 by the last few league games, so I hope they make it a bit more streamlined. On the subject of playtesting and writing for the community, this is exactly how KoW was developed and its a really balanced game, so hopefully something similar can be achieved here.

When this is a bit more refined it might be quite good, but I dont expect that to be for a couple of months. Also, I want more hobby projects, Any idea if these guys will be producing rules for allies or new units?
Last edited by Badrott on Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KolgothMountaineater

Postby KolgothMountaineater » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:14 pm

James forget the tournament application as that only interests a small part of the gaming community. What is more important is that they write a balanced ruleset (which seems to be the plan) that allows Warhammer fans to continue playing the game they love.

On the matter of new units, etc. there have been a number of requests to include Warhammer forge, scibor's dwarf bear cavalry, and the fan-made army lists (Nippon, Ind, etc), to name just a few. They also intend to try and include all of the future GW AoS miniature releases so it should be very versatile and have masses of variety.
Last edited by KolgothMountaineater on Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Badrott

Postby Badrott » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:16 pm

I agree Ross - if they get balance, i.e. there is a genuine purpose for every unit the game will become a lot more fun. You wont need 25% Core, because your army of Pheonix Guard is balanced for the points costs. You wont have cookie cutter lists because there wont be much point if everything is balanced. I want to play my opponent, not a list they've got off the internet.

Azzabat
Flag: Canada

Postby Azzabat » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:22 pm

It never fails to amaze me that a handful of enthusiastic amateurs in a garden shed somewhere can come up with something much better than the 'Big Boys' can. (I guess that's why you Brits ended up with half the Globe pink at one stage)

If they do anything near what the Necromunda, Epic and Bloodbowl communities have down I have no doubt it will be a huge success.

C J... = )
I know the voices aren't real ... but they have such FASCINATING ideas!

C J = )
KolgothMountaineater

Postby KolgothMountaineater » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:21 pm

Given GW has invested very little in game development and playtesting (not even sure they understand what playtesting is) and is openly disinterested in how their minis are used as long as people are buying them (they've moved from a wargame maker to miniature maker) is it really that surprising that people who are passionate about the game will do a better job than GW these days?

KolgothMountaineater

Postby KolgothMountaineater » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:27 pm

For those that haven't been actively following this project I thought I would highlight (as stated on the website linked in first post) that the beta rule book and ravening hordes-esque army books are due for release by 11/09/15. The army books are quoted as being a stopgap measure of updating all 15 or so army books but will promptly be followed with fully fledged army book akin to the beastman list demonstrated as part of the Alpha version. Basically the game is almost all set now. Additionally battle reports are beginning to be posted on the blog section of the website for those of you who enjoy such things

Return to “Warhammer Fantasy Battle”