Are people still playing 8th Edition?

The place for any general Warhammer rules queries, rumours and general discussions.
TheTinGod

Are people still playing 8th Edition?

Postby TheTinGod » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:08 am

I know it sounds ridiculous but the death of 8th has made me want to play 8th! I have a few friends who will probably carry on playing but they live far away, so I was wondering whether there are people around here who still intend to play 8th or 9th, so that I can justify getting into it. If people also have any views on whether they think Fantasy will survive nationwide (in terms of tournament scene) then I am also interested in hearing about that!

I am not at all interested in Age of Sigmar, although I realise that is at least an extra thing that can be done with the models (along with KOW).

Thanks,

Jonny
Badrott

Re: Are people still playing 8th Edition?

Postby Badrott » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:28 am

TheTinGod wrote:I know it sounds ridiculous but the death of 8th has made me want to play 8th! I have a few friends who will probably carry on playing but they live far away, so I was wondering whether there are people around here who still intend to play 8th or 9th, so that I can justify getting into it. If people also have any views on whether they think Fantasy will survive nationwide (in terms of tournament scene) then I am also interested in hearing about that!

I am not at all interested in Age of Sigmar, although I realise that is at least an extra thing that can be done with the models (along with KOW).

Thanks,

Jonny

There are people who will happily play a game of 8th at the moment, although I expect that number will dwindle as people get in to KoW, one of the community led variations of 8th in development at the moment or other gaming systems altogether.

No one gaming system is going to become the default for a few months at least - people are still trying things out and waiting to see what tournaments do.

But, people will continue to play fantasy themed ranked up mass battles on square bases in one form or another.
Kings of War UK number one ranked Orc general.

2016 Bristol Vanguard Dreadball League Champions - Da Pirates (Orcs+Goblins)
TheTinGod

Postby TheTinGod » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:48 am

There are people who will happily play a game of 8th at the moment, although I expect that number will dwindle as people get in to KoW, one of the community led variations of 8th in development at the moment or other gaming systems altogether.

No one gaming system is going to become the default for a few months at least - people are still trying things out and waiting to see what tournaments do.

But, people will continue to play fantasy themed ranked up mass battles on square bases in one form or another.

In what ratio do you think people will follow each path you outlined? Thanks alot for the response btw.
Badrott

Postby Badrott » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:54 pm

TheTinGod wrote:

In what ratio do you think people will follow each path you outlined? Thanks alot for the response btw.

No idea how many will do what. Early days yet.

KolgothMountaineater
Flag: Great Britain

Postby KolgothMountaineater » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:51 pm

To build on what Matt has said there are numerous players still around that will play 8th (I am one of them) as very few people seem to actually like AoS. The other big event being worked on at the moment is 9th age (essentially a ruleset with 8th ed Warhammer Fantasy battle at its core but tweaked in such a way as GW should have done, to make the game balanced (I have my first play test with the beta set of these rules on Tuesday - having written a list very little has changed in my conventional army's appearance but some of the changes should see a somewhat different performance on the battlefield (parry tweak as one example).

So to sum up - get involved. Warhammer fantasy is far from dead and if what we have seen of 9th age so far continues we will have 2 great massed battle systems to make use of (8th, should you still wish to make use of Storm of Magic and the likes & 9th), not to mention Kings of War and Avatars of War's Warthrone should you feel so inclined.

Hopefully we'll see you on the battlefields soon.
That rumbling's not thunder, the great maw hungers!!

I lead the mightiest ogre horde in Bristol!

WHFB armies: High Elves, Ogre Kingdoms, Lizardmen, Skaven, Nippon Empire, Dwarf Slayers, & Orcs & Goblins.
40k armies: Black Templars & Orks
Warmahordes: Legion of Everblight & Rhulic Mercenaries
Mailifaux factions: Ten Thunders & Viktorias
Necromunda: Cawdor gang
Dave Fraser
Flag: Micronesia

Postby Dave Fraser » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:29 am

KolgothMountaineater wrote:...as very few people seem to actually like AoS.

You keep saying this but I still don't think it's true! Plenty of people further afield like the game and there are enough people on here willing to give it a go (Sam, Rob, Warren and Slawek from the old WFB crowd have all picked it up from what I've seen on the forum). So given we were generally getting 12-14 people regularly playing 8th and that is now split across AoS, KoW and 8th (or variants) I don't think it is currently a smaller group than any of the other games. I get that you (and others) don't like it, but lets try and be reasonable/rational in our description of how the game is doing and not give people a skewed opinion of where the local scene is going currently.

My observation (both locally and chat across wider UK scene)
KoW is a viable alternative, not a direct substitute as you'd expect, but a decent game in it's own right. Has it's pluses and minuses depending on what you like. Was down at BIG last week and there were 2 tables of it being played. It looked a lot like warhammer at setup but if anything turned up to 11, possibly a hint of Ancients in that it was seriously long lines of units facing each other where WFB had become smaller more flexible armies as 8th went on (and personally I like the visual of blocks aspect of the game so this is a plus for KoW for me).

8th - the game many of us loved as 'the best version of WFB ever' which I still stand by but it's in the hands of the fans now so personally I'm not touching it until it has settled down into one preferred fan made variant as currently 8th/8.5/9th age and many other tweaked versions are springing up and I'd rather have a settled ruleset to learn, guaranteed they'll all be great but I personally don't care for the playtesting & changeable nature of where the game currently is, I just want to pick up and play knowing the rules will be the same next week too.

AoS - Massively different from what came before, on the face of it incredibly simple and most challenging to me is it still a massed battle game? Not really? More warband like I suspect in which case is it better than other fantasy-ish options (WM&H, Saga, Wrath of Kings off top of my head). Because I own the models I'm going to give it a go and try and learn the game & tactics. Are their issues, bloody obviously yes as it doesn't have a clear balance system so needs something to allow people that don't know each other well to set up that social contract and (in the words of one podcast) avoid 'accidental douchbaggery' (meaning a rubbish game due to something you didn't realise was going to ruin the competitiveness of the game).

So my summary, all are valid options, play what you like and the best game will surely win out in the long run.
Azzabat
Flag: Canada

Postby Azzabat » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:28 am

AoS has it's fans, and it's haters. The comments coming out on both sides simple prove to me that those making them are passionate about the games they play.

I agree with Dave. The best game ... is the game you like playing best.

C J. . . = )
I know the voices aren't real ... but they have such FASCINATING ideas!

C J = )
TDK88

Postby TDK88 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:29 am

KolgothMountaineater wrote:as very few people seem to actually like AoS.

Again? Really. What you mean to say is you doñt like AoS

Warren, Dave, Myself, Slawek, Rob, Andi, Jim are all on the AoS train. Plus a few new faces are getting into it. Even by extension a lot of the Cheltenham guys are on it (who made up a portion of our tournment scene here.)

So please Ross. Don't make stuff up.
Party Monster!
RichyB

Postby RichyB » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:56 pm

To be fair to Ross perhaps within the wider 8th ed community there seems to have been a general recoil at the AOS ruleset as its such a change from what we're used to. Just check out some of the 8th ed bat rep youtubers and you'll see a fair number of the old 8th ed community are struggling with it. Thats not to say there is still a large base that have adopted AOS and are enjoying the changes. Ross did use the word seem and from his point of view it may feel that his social group of gamers have not adopted it as readily as some others. Needless to say its early days and the dust has yet to settle, the best game really is the one you like playing :)
Badrott

Postby Badrott » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:41 pm

Dave Fraser wrote:
KolgothMountaineater wrote:
My observation (both locally and chat across wider UK scene)
KoW is a viable alternative, not a direct substitute as you'd expect, but a decent game in it's own right. Has it's pluses and minuses depending on what you like. Was down at BIG last week and there were 2 tables of it being played. It looked a lot like warhammer at setup but if anything turned up to 11, possibly a hint of Ancients in that it was seriously long lines of units facing each other where WFB had become smaller more flexible armies as 8th went on (and personally I like the visual of blocks aspect of the game so this is a plus for KoW for me).

The long lines were in part, down to the fact that Skaven and Goblins were on two of the tables, whilst id just gone with a "how many knights do i own?" theme. Not having to spend a minimum on core opens up possibilities of proper themed armies.

Had a very elite pure Orc list in a game at home the other night and I couldnt line up like that even if I wanted to.

Up until now we have just played straight up battle line scenario - however my last 2 games Ive given the other scenarios a try and I realized that the list I had would be great at one particular scenario, whilst it would struggle in another. Playing the scenarios made the game a lot more interesting than just killing the opponent.

AoS seems to be like marmite and the various community updates to WHFB are as Dave said "in development" - so ive really got no interest in picking up a game thats going change from week to week, maybe when its fully built ill give it a go.

Oh, and I dont know if I forgot to mention, but I quite like Kings of War.

Kaseliegth
Flag: Christmas Island

Postby Kaseliegth » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:41 pm

Guys in Ross's close group of friends I'm the only one playing AoS so his statement is true.

Let's not get on the witch hunt every time someone uses a phase you don't agree with.

I for one am getting tired of "this game is best why you playing that crap for play this"

Play what you want as spare time for plastic models is dwindling (or is that just my time)

Love you all
Except Russ he knows why
Never underestimate a cornered night goblin.

Winner of the last ever game of 7th edition Dark Elves vs Dark Elves against New Ross (Rossi)

The Tomb Kings are on the march again !!! Oh.....Wait.....Maybe Not !!!
Ginger Prince

Postby Ginger Prince » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:55 am

Don't be coy Mark, you know you love me. I have the hoots to prove it!

;)

It's like rain on your release day
It's the free rules when you've already paid
It's the good advice that they just didn't take
Who would've thought ... Space marine figures
TheTinGod

Postby TheTinGod » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:24 am

Just wanted to say thank you all for the responses. I will at the very least hold on to my stuff and wait in the hope that 9th age comes through. In the meantime if anyone wants a game of 8th at the Old Duke (sadly its hard for me to get to BIG but I can try), then I am up for it. I play Lizardmen if that makes any difference.
KolgothMountaineater

Postby KolgothMountaineater » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:34 pm

Happy to take you up on that any time Tin God, although other than Tuesday's at BIG it would have to be a weekend. My army of choice is ogres but as per my sig below take your pick on any of my armies you'd like to face. PM me whenever you'd fancy a game

WHFB armies: High Elves, Ogre Kingdoms, Lizardmen, Skaven, Nippon Empire, Dwarf Slayers, & Orcs & Goblins.
Sceleris

Postby Sceleris » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:36 pm

TinGod - happy to give you a game of 8th down the Duke during the week (afternoon/evening depending on shifts). Have an empire army

Dave
TheTinGod

Postby TheTinGod » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:09 pm

Sounds great, thank you Kolgoth and Sceleris. I am working in Singapore at the moment, but when I get back on the 16th of September I will definitely message you both for a game!
Munkey

Postby Munkey » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:39 pm

What's the scene in Singapore like? Are the people playing AoS or sticking to 8th? :)
Yay! I'm good with Skavens again :lol:

"F*** you Nibbles" "I thought I was going to get Best in Race...then I saw your name on the list and all hope vanished"
TheTinGod

Postby TheTinGod » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:41 am

Haha good question, I have no idea! I have only recently got back into wargaming, and this is my first attempt to join a community wider than simply 'my friends'.
Munkey

Postby Munkey » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:50 am

Haha thought you might not have ventured out in Singapore that way!

You've timed your return brilliantly...just as the 'community' has been fractured and is facing possibly the biggest challenge yet.

As you have read in some of the above posts, people are really divided about gaming atm. Some, like myself, have no interest in AoS and look to play 9th Age. Other people have gone completely the other way, selling their armies and starting new AoS ones. The. There are those who are not committing either way yet. Perhaps they are the clever ones?

Either way the hobby continues. There are currently still plenty of people playing with toy soldiers and that will continue. Glad to see you've signed up for the campaign. The map will be based at BIG but nothing to stop games being played at the Duke or on your kitchen table. I will be looking to set up a map online, showing various bits of progress etc.
Yay! I'm good with Skavens again :lol:

"F*** you Nibbles" "I thought I was going to get Best in Race...then I saw your name on the list and all hope vanished"
TheTinGod

Postby TheTinGod » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:06 pm

Yes I agree my timing could not be better, honestly I am a bit down about it, it feels like I took a 8 year break and everything went to hell, but I want to try and support the game as much as I can. I hope that 9th will be strong enough that the community will endure, if there is anything I can do to help the local community do let me know.

I am also starting up Infinity and may try a bit of 40k, although I am rather baffled at how the rules have changed and how broken the meta seems to be.
KolgothMountaineater

Postby KolgothMountaineater » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:47 pm

Can't speak for Infinity but I too dabbled in 40k but lost interest with most recent edition as it was getting ridiculous with the power creep (u struggle to compete unless you have the new big thing - knights for example), trying to keep up with what were the most up to date rules (and all of the riduculously numerous overpriced downloads that just take up space on the I-pad), not to mention the fact they wrote off my army as a fad (Black Templars).

There is still a significant following in Bristol although it does appear to have shrunk with the most recent ruleset (hard to tell if it's due to the rules or the short lived gaming business ventures of recent years and the fact that there are now 3 large(ish) gaming venues in Bristol at the moment)

Azzabat
Flag: Canada

Postby Azzabat » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:56 pm

KolgothMountaineater wrote:... not to mention the fact they wrote off my army as a fad (Black Templars).

Count yourself lucky Ross mate. The only Army I every completed was a 40K Squat one, and literally the day I painted my last model they dropped squats.
[Very Sad Face} = (
I know the voices aren't real ... but they have such FASCINATING ideas!

C J = )
KolgothMountaineater

Postby KolgothMountaineater » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:05 pm

Yeah I can sympathise mate, like your squats my Templars can still be used (variant guard and space marines respectively) its just not as what the past fluff dictated they were - it's just not the same

TheTinGod

Postby TheTinGod » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:08 am

I am back in the UK now, so anyone PM me if they ever want a game at the Duke!

Return to “Warhammer Fantasy Battle”