New to fantasy

The place for any general Warhammer rules queries, rumours and general discussions.
Relentless

New to fantasy

Postby Relentless » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:27 am

What up guys

Recently decided to pick up some skaven to start playing some AOS but have just discovered 9th Age

I feel this game could give me a little more depth so wondering if anyone would be up for showing me the ropes etc...

I've never played any fantasy or AOS but play a lot of 30k.

Curently not got anything painted and probably couldn't even muster 1000 pt's so it would require you having a spare army or I'd happily come and spectate at a game if that's an option too!

Thanks guys!
KolgothMountaineater
Flag: Great Britain

Re: New to fantasy

Postby KolgothMountaineater » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:33 pm

Hi Relentless, since the release of AoS the Warhammer community has been more or less split in half. I fall into the group that despises the AoS rules (its too similar to 40k, which is why I was such a fan of WFB, though some of the minis do look amazing) and loves the 9th age almost as much as I liked WFB 8th ed. Truth be told the AoS community is a little bit better organized at present (with Facebook groups, WhatsApp groups, etc.). A friend of mine (who has time for such things) is looking into organizing similar tools for the local 9th age players (You'll find him listed as Munkey on this very forum).
There are regular local events being arranged in both Bath and Bristol for the 9th age so you may find it useful to pop along to one of those for some insight. Skaven are pretty potent in 9th age so you've made a good choice there.
That rumbling's not thunder, the great maw hungers!!

I lead the mightiest ogre horde in Bristol!

WHFB armies: High Elves, Ogre Kingdoms, Lizardmen, Skaven, Nippon Empire, Dwarf Slayers, & Orcs & Goblins.
40k armies: Black Templars & Orks
Warmahordes: Legion of Everblight & Rhulic Mercenaries
Mailifaux factions: Ten Thunders & Viktorias
Necromunda: Cawdor gang
Azzabat
Flag: Canada

Postby Azzabat » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:47 pm

Some info on locations might be helpful to the chap Ross. Like B-I-G in Brislington, or where in Bath you meet. :D
I know the voices aren't real ... but they have such FASCINATING ideas!

C J = )
Relentless

Postby Relentless » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:54 am

Its all good, I know B.I.G and the duke as thats where i usually play 30k
Sceleris
Flag: Great Britain

Postby Sceleris » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:32 pm

There's also a bunch that picked up Mantic Games Kings of War after the death of 8th ed fantasy. Easy to play difficult to master type rules (which are availble, in a shorter format, free on Mantic's website) and an online army builder

http://kow2.easyarmy.com

Similar range of armies as whfb (plus some additional ones), no real restrictions on what models get used. It's unit based so footprint rather than model count is important.

Skaven have pretty much of a comparable army in KoW in Ratkin.

Tuesdays at BIG tends to be when most of us play

Return to “Warhammer Fantasy Battle”