FOW: 2018 - player / community plans....

Discussions for all things World War 2 related (FOW / Bolt Action)

Moderator: Demenzia

Jamrowski
Committee Member
Flag: Christmas Island

FOW: 2018 - player / community plans....

Postby Jamrowski » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:03 pm

Do people have any idea at this stage what their FoW plans are for 2018 yet?

Personally, I’m thinking about:

- Playing Mid War: since it seems to the only period that reflects BF’s target state with Rules / Lists fully aligned (just taking forever
to get Eastern Front sorted. I think my V3 DAK are a lift and drop into V4 lists; ditto my US - need to check the latter)

- Playing / Painting Early War: literally, I think I’ve only ever played 3 games of Early war (but using lists that incorporated
my existing Mid War models). Immense fun, if your idea of fun is both you and your opponent failing to successfully roll any
firepower tests :lol

- Playing / Painting Team Yankee: managed to finish my 100pts of US Armour (just in time for the release of Stripes and no doubt the
need to buy more / different models :? ). With the re-pointing of T-72’s I’m back under 80pts of ‘painted WarPac’ stuff, so plenty
to do (Whilst I now have enough BMP’s to field a legitimate BMP2 ‘Spam’ Mechanised Army - I have no immediate intention to
do so - unless people start fielding British / Volksarmee / US Marines Mechanised ‘Spam’ that is....)

So what is everyone else thinking / planning? (I’m not going to start an early war Army for example if there’s nobody in the immediate community to play against etc, etc)
Team Yankee: US / Soviet Armour
Flames of War: EW British Armour / LW US Armour
DUST Tactics: Allied / USMC
Vyper

Re: FOW: 2018 - player / community plans....

Postby Vyper » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:52 pm

I'm planning on playing early/mid/late pretty much interchangeably. I have sufficient infantry and vehicles to use my Hungarians in any of the three eras. I'm still waiting on the rest of a delivery from Element Games, which I've just chased again now, but it's only really a few odd bits now.

I'd like to do a narrative campaign-y type thing, wouldn't we all, but not sure how realistic that is. Also definitely interesting in more multiplayer games!
Your local Infinity War Correspondent.
Check out my wargaming blog at http://www.lead-rising.com.
Lavallin
Flag: Great Britain

Postby Lavallin » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:33 pm

If BF exceed expectations and bring out Eastern Front, I might play a reasonable amount of MW. I agree that this seems to be the only period in which unit sizes seem to be well suited to the v4 rules, however, despite owning some DAK, I just can't get that excited about the Desert war.

Otherwise, I will continue to play a mix of EW/MW using v3 EF lists/LW. EW can be great fun, and I would like to play more. I enjoyed my tournament experience this year, and if I can find an EW tourney at a convenient time and location, I definitely would like to give that a try. For LW, I will keep playing silly lists, like my train, or my list with Cruiser support, because a game where I try something new is much more fun to me than a game where I use the same thing I've played a dozen times before, even if I do win.

I would like to do scenarios, whether they're historical or purely imaginary - I quite like the idea of taking listbuilding out of the equation. On the topic of scenarios, I would like to do a summer D-Day game, because it's an iconic scenario, and can be fun, but I just don't think the v4 bunker rules make it even remotely viable for the defence at present, so that's probably out for now.

A short campaign sounds great, but I'm attracted to a fairly simple concept, e.g. a basic branching tree structure, as anything much bigger runs the risk of fading out when real life gets in the way.

I'd like to try other rule sets, if anyone knows any good ones. I quite liked Battlegroup, but I'm not sure it's the one for me, but it hasn't put me off keeping on looking.

And, most of all, I'd like to lead a trip to Northern France. Basically, I'm going, and people who want to can come with me.
Wiggles

Postby Wiggles » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:19 pm

I don't know what I'm going to do next year.

I'm feeling a little burned out (not with flames just in general) hopefully christmas will help me recharge.

I'd like to get my French finished, finish up a fighting force of TY Germans. I'd like to pivot to mid war as thats where the rules are done, but I don't really feel like buying one of the supported lists. Well, maybe crusaders. I might see if there's an infantry list and just proxy everything.
Talk is cheap. Come, face me!
740/1550/2355pts FoW Early/Mid/Late
Armada

Obligatory Wargaming Blog
All That Remains Project Blog
andycuk

Postby andycuk » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:45 pm

Thanks to my iffy back I haven't been able to paint anything for 2 months (suspects all that "crouched over little tanks painting" was what broke me to begin with).
But with 12 days off over Christmas, with part of that time subject to a wife-imposed "no sitting upstairs, playing on the computer" ban, I suspect I'll commence again in small quantities very soon.

So my 2018 plans are:

- Finish painting everything Late War I have
- Go back to the mid war stuff that I started with (but then found everyone was playing late war, so switched focus to LW) and round out a MW British 8th Army list... lots of sand colour spray cans.
- Roll up to the Old Duke to find that everyone has gone back to v3 rules and leave myself even more confused than I am now :P

Part of me has an inkling to start up a little British Team Yankee affair but... I've a feeling the wife/my finances may not be fine with opening a third front!
Jamrowski
Committee Member

Postby Jamrowski » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:17 pm

Has anyone else noticed that since Cai got sucked into the murky world of X-Wing, we’ve not actually seen many / any US Armies at our recent events?

Ok, BF have over-nerfed US Armour to a degree, but I may look to get my US stuff back on the board during ‘18 (sure, it’s nowhere near as good as it was in V3, but events are just not the same without them.....).
Vyper

Postby Vyper » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:29 pm

Jamrowski wrote:Has anyone else noticed that since Cai got sucked into the murky world of X-Wing, we’ve not actually seen many / any US Armies at our recent events?

Ok, BF have over-nerfed US Armour to a degree, but I may look to get my US stuff back on the board during ‘18 (sure, it’s nowhere near as good as it was in V3, but events are just not the same without them.....).

What's supposedly not good about US Armour?
Your local Infinity War Correspondent.
Check out my wargaming blog at http://www.lead-rising.com.
Jamrowski
Committee Member

Postby Jamrowski » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:00 pm

Vyper wrote:
Jamrowski wrote:Has anyone else noticed that since Cai got sucked into the murky world of X-Wing, we’ve not actually seen many / any US Armies at our recent events?

In my opinion, it less a case of what’s not good about US Armour and more a case of what US Armour has lost in the transition from V3 to V4:
- Jumbo’s lead the way dropped
- Smooth Ride rule change
- Tank Destroyer rule change
- AA Mg rule change
- FOC Morale change (US Armour Weapon Platoons generally limited to more tanks <SP Mortars are handy though>)

Let’s face it, M4A1 Sherman’s don’t ‘hold a candle’ to for me what is the late war Tank ‘standard’ - The do it all Pzr IV; people point to ‘stabilisers’ but you pay a lot of points for the privilege.......I’m yet to be convinced that with the +1 to hit it’s worth it (give me Semi indirect fire any day!).

That said, 2018 will be the year I “ make America great again “ :mrgreen:
Lavallin

Postby Lavallin » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:01 am

Jamrowski wrote:
Vyper wrote:

In my opinion, it less a case of what’s not good about US Armour and more a case of what US Armour has lost in the transition from V3 to V4:
- Jumbo’s lead the way dropped
- Smooth Ride rule change
- Tank Destroyer rule change
- AA Mg rule change
- FOC Morale change (US Armour Weapon Platoons generally limited to more tanks <SP Mortars are handy though>)

Let’s face it, M4A1 Sherman’s don’t ‘hold a candle’ to for me what is the late war Tank ‘standard’ - The do it all Pzr IV; people point to ‘stabilisers’ but you pay a lot of points for the privilege.......I’m yet to be convinced that with the +1 to hit it’s worth it (give me Semi indirect fire any day!).

That said, 2018 will be the year I “ make America great again “ :mrgreen:

I'd agree with these - in particular, the hit allocation rules have particularly hurt Allied tank platoons - Brits with Fireflies as well, but US mixed tank platoons most of all (commonly you used to see a platoon of two 75mm Shermans, two 76mm Shermans, and a Jumbo, often joined by the 2i/c in another Jumbo - huge damage output, and able to soak the first two hits from almost anything).

Morale also stops some of the previous shenanigans whereby US arty parks could hold on long after the rest of their force had evaporated. (Arty being reduced in effectiveness against enemy armour is also a contributing factor.)

I also feel that there's an operational-level impact beyond the merely tactical of stats - the missions and deployment rules no longer favour the combination of "Always Attacks, Spearhead" to the same extent as they used to. There was a period where US Armour (4th/7th) with Patton was the tournament go-to based on this rules combo.
Jamrowski
Committee Member

Postby Jamrowski » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:02 am

Well, in keeping with ‘let’s make America great again’, the first of my Early War Plastic Soldier Company M3 (Honey) Stuart’s arrived today :-)

As there’s no Early War American’s (and even I’m not brave enough to field a US Marines Sherman Tank Company from ‘Gung-Ho’....at circa 500pts per Tank!), this is probably as close as I can get to fielding something from ‘across the pond’.

British Honey Armoured Squadron in Early War for me.....

Return to “World War 2”