Blood Red Skies

Discussions for all things World War 2 related (FOW / Bolt Action)

Moderator: Demenzia

Jamrowski
Committee Member
Flag: Christmas Island

Blood Red Skies

Postby Jamrowski » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:29 am

I’m not normally an air combat fan, but with the emergence of X-Wing, this style of game is hard to ignore (Plus Warlord Games seem to have a knack of getting things right!)

https://store.warlordgames.com/collecti ... red-skies/

WW2 and X-Wing combined in the same game?

Hell Yes! (Ordered the basic set today :D )
Team Yankee: US / Soviet Armour
Flames of War: EW British Armour / LW US Armour
DUST Tactics: Allied / USMC
Lavallin
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Blood Red Skies

Postby Lavallin » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:55 am

I haven't yet found a 2-D air combat game that feels 'right' to me - a lot of WW2 aerial combat was about managing energy between speed and altitude - but I'm provisionally interested, and definitely happy to help test this when it arrives.
Jamrowski
Committee Member

Postby Jamrowski » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:35 pm

Lavallin wrote:- but I'm provisionally interested, and definitely happy to help test this when it arrives.

Deal - I’ll hold you to that :D
Jamrowski
Committee Member

Postby Jamrowski » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:37 pm

Lavallin wrote:- but I'm provisionally interested, and definitely happy to help test this when it arrives.

Deal - I’ll hold you to that :D

In the meantime, take a look at this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EjqcjmITYgw
Vyper

Postby Vyper » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:46 pm

Lavallin wrote:I haven't yet found a 2-D air combat game that feels 'right' to me - a lot of WW2 aerial combat was about managing energy between speed and altitude - but I'm provisionally interested, and definitely happy to help test this when it arrives.

On a somewhat related note, I picked up some bits and pieces for Aeronautica Imperialis (the old Games Workshop air combat game) and wouldn't mind giving it a go sometime. 40k is basically just World War 2 (in space!) anyway.
Your local Infinity War Correspondent.
Check out my wargaming blog at http://www.lead-rising.com.
Lavallin

Postby Lavallin » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:53 pm

Vyper wrote:
Lavallin wrote:I haven't yet found a 2-D air combat game that feels 'right' to me - a lot of WW2 aerial combat was about managing energy between speed and altitude - but I'm provisionally interested, and definitely happy to help test this when it arrives.

On a somewhat related note, I picked up some bits and pieces for Aeronautica Imperialis (the old Games Workshop air combat game) and wouldn't mind giving it a go sometime. 40k is basically just World War 2 (in space!) anyway.

Likewise happy to try that.

I am - at low intensity - looking for something that covers something like a Cold War period (early gen jet fighters and AAMs etc) as part of an idea for an RPG based around being a Mercenary Air Squadron (e.g the anime/manga Area 88, Ace Combat video game series), so I'm happy to look at what mechanics I might crib from places.

Current front runner for depth and complexity is Air War C21, but it may not be the most user-friendly.
andycuk

Postby andycuk » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:37 pm

Oh heck, why did someone have to post that where I could see it, now I want one!
I'm also now tempted to go into the roof and find my Battle of Britain boardgame from ages past
Jamrowski
Committee Member

Postby Jamrowski » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:39 am

Yep looks awesome - can’t wait for it’s general release in March; Warlord have a great track record so I have expectations for the game (still think they missed a trick by not including X-Wing style ‘pre-painted’ models though.....
andycuk

Postby andycuk » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:56 am

I find the hobby part of the whole gaming world the "best bit", so I won't mind.
My painting OCD also forbids me fielding anything unpainted (I even painted the aircraft in one of my Axis & Allies editions, I'm that picky)
In fact it's prevented me playing some games for months because I hadn't finished painting the pieces
I do see your point though, I'd have hated to have had to paint all my Armada ships properly - didn't stop my painting all the fighters though :)
Jamrowski
Committee Member

Postby Jamrowski » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:58 pm

The saving grace for me is that the sculpts look half decent; not sure if they are still available, but I went with the Axis pre order set (there were also Allied sets available a few weeks ago), so Germans and Japanese for me (what’s not to like about those Zero’s :-))

*edit: just checked - pre order bundles are still available.....

Return to “World War 2”