FoW - New Player

Discussions for all things World War 2 related (FOW / Bolt Action)

Moderator: Demenzia

andycuk
Flag: Great Britain

FoW - New Player

Postby andycuk » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:53 pm

Hi All,
New player,v4 (I did dabble with v2 a little but forgotten it all now, spent all my time painting instead of playing)
I have my Monty's Desert Rats box arriving tomorrow and will get cracking on with the painting.
Wondered when (time/days) and where people were playing FoW matches?

Thanks
Lavallin

Re: FoW - New Player

Postby Lavallin » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:04 pm

Hi, and welcome! I wouldn't say we have a single day when all of us get together, but Wednesdays aren't a bad starting point. Alternatively, posting a "looking for game" thread in the forum should get a reply or two. I believe some people also use Facebook, but I am one of the few people in the western world who isn't on there, so I can't comment.

V4 is in a slightly odd place at the moment. A few of us have lists that haven't yet been fully converted over, but if you don't mind playing v3 Eastern Front Germans, Soviets, Hungarians, or Brit Paras (assuming 1500pts old is approx equal to 100pts new) then you'll certainly not struggle. Otherwise I do have some DAK Panzers but they haven't been out of their box in a little while.
andycuk

Postby andycuk » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:33 pm

Thanks, I'm not sure about sending my chaps to the Russian Front or the Ardennes though, they're in shorts! :)

I do have one of the Europe Late War v3 books (forget which) and a number of late war tanks (Sherman, Cromwells) and some infantry (If I ever get it painted), so I may be able to cobble together a V3 army also, presumably played with v4 rules?
FoW has been one of those games where I started getting stuff together then it fell away :/
Stu's Idle

Postby Stu's Idle » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:55 pm

I also have some Mid-War Brits, unpainted and not even put together yet but would be happy to give you a blue-on-blue game if you like. Otherwise I have a lot of Soviets and some Yanks, mainly late-war but could do mid-war too. Still blue-on-blue technically but less so than Brit vs Brit.
We do use V4 rules but most of us still have to use V3 lists as Battlefront haven't published all the new lists yet. We have rules for the conversion so it all works.
Flames Of War: Soviets
Team Yankee (6mm and 15mm): Soviets
Bolt Action: Soviets
DUST: SSU aka Soviets (anyone spotted the theme yet?)
Star Wars Armada: Imperials (Space Soviets, a long, long time ago)
Epic Armageddon: Imperials (Space Soviets, in the grim, far future)
Frostgrave: Dwarves (Short Soviets)
andycuk

Postby andycuk » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:53 pm

Sure, blue on blue is fine, I'll shoot at anyone, I'm not fussy :)

My work shifts will be interfering for the next few Wednesdays but I will then have 4 weeks of Weds free (I work a "4d on/4d off" rolling rota).
Where do you meet up, are you at the Duke or BIG? (yet to have been to either)
Stu's Idle

Postby Stu's Idle » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:54 am

We generally play at the Duke as I personally find BIG trick to get to. I would recommend paying BIG a visit as it's a great place although I don't think many people play Flames there (to my knowledge).
Lavallin

Postby Lavallin » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:36 am

I agree with Stu - BIG is a great facility, and has both a decent shop (although limited Flames stock) and a large gaming space. However, it's not the most accessible location for all; it's a bit out of town, and although there are bus routes in the general area, it's generally most accessible if you drive. Additionally, in something of a vicious cycle, few people have played Flames there previously, so there's less 15mm terrain (majority 28mm), so in turn fewer people play there, and so on. That said, I still recommend heading down to have a look. Jim and the team down there are also great guys.

But yes, we mainly play at the Duke. It's a room above a pub, with all the good and bad that entails. Especially for those of us for whom it's walking distance, it means being able to have a pint with your game. Conversely, it can mean loud live music means having to shout. It's got a great community feel to it, and people have chipped in a lot of good terrain to make sure we've got almost everything we could need. But it can get a bit cosy if there are more than about four or five games going on at once.

There are pros and cons to both. Try both!
andycuk

Postby andycuk » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:33 pm

Yea I enquired on the BIG facebook page and got a response along the lines of "never seen anyone play it here" so I think that answers that question :)
Incidentally, I've been digging around and found a lot of stuff I never finished from a while back, a stack of British armour and some infantry, sextons, plus the "Overlord" Late war Allied book - do you guys currently still use v3 the books and points to build armies but played to the v4 Rulebook?
Stu's Idle

Postby Stu's Idle » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:25 pm

andycuk wrote:do you guys currently still use v3 the books and points to build armies but played to the v4 Rulebook?

Basically yes.

While it's not free this is Battlefront's army builder: https://forces.flamesofwar.com/index.aspx

On here you can find the updated lists etc, which books are still used and build your lists. I find it very handy as it's often updated with any changes. Alternatively we have the v4 rulebooks here (at the Duke), including those that help you convert late war lists.
andycuk

Postby andycuk » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:59 pm

Hi Stu, thanks for your advice - looking at that site, not entirely sure what I'd be paying for.
I assume it's an alternative to buying the actual books themselves but stripped done sans fluff.
So are these just duplicating the same info as what I have in my books (I have Atlantik War & Overlord books) or are the lists here being updated to the new system/rules?
I think I need to pop down to the Duke and see the stuff for myself, work out what I'm doing before I spend money on the wrong thing(s)
(...again... like buying a bunch of Shermans a while back, then finding out the 7th had Cromwells in that time period... doh, oh well, Guards it is!)
Turns out I'm free all this week if there is a good time/day?
Not got round to the v4 rules yet, still painting, so not really in a position to play a game without a lot of explanation ^^
Stu's Idle

Postby Stu's Idle » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:33 pm

I'm free tomorrow night if you are, although he room looks a little crowded so it might be tricky to chat easily. I can probably make Thursday instead if you're free.

The site doesn't offer anything you can't get from the books and the Battlefront updates and 'lessons from the front' (basic Q&A/errata). What it does do is put all of these things into one place making it quicker and easier to build a list. You can then print out your list with very helpful extra such as weapons stats and special rules. I'll show you when I see you.

I'd be happy to give you a demo game or two, using any force you have, painted or unpainted (very little of my stuff is finished) or you can borrow my models if you like.

Hopefully see you soon.
andycuk

Postby andycuk » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:40 am

Hi Stu, I can make tomorrow, or Thursday, whichever works.

Cheers
Lavallin

Postby Lavallin » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:33 am

I've got a really busy couple of weeks this week and next, but I'd be happy to give you a game in the week commencing 02 Oct if that suits?

I've no doubt Stu will explain everything to you, so if there's anything you want to test out once you've gripped the basics (e.g. different force compositions, special rules, different missions etc) please give me a shout. I can probably scratch together a force for almost anything the Germans fielded in 1944 onward...
Stu's Idle

Postby Stu's Idle » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:26 pm

andycuk wrote:Hi Stu, I can make tomorrow, or Thursday, whichever works.

Cheers

Let's make it Thursday as I think it'll be rather too noisy tonight. The 40K multi-games can be rather rowdy (in a good way).
Shall we say 6pm?
Will you be bringing some Brits? If so let me know what (ideally a few tanks, some arty and a bit of infantry if you want to cover everything or just some tanks if you want to just get a feel for the basics). Otherwise you are very welcome to borrow some US or Soviets from me.
andycuk

Postby andycuk » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:41 pm

Sure will see you then. Ill bring what i have. Not sure i have my infantry together (still have no arty or infantry for
8th army), but will scrape up something.
Stu's Idle

Postby Stu's Idle » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:40 pm

Just bring tanks then, if that's what you have and are most likely to use.

If we have time and you're interested we can briefly cover some of the rules on footsloggers and the deaf boys at the back.
andycuk

Postby andycuk » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:01 am

I have some Late War Shermans, Stuarts, M10s & Sextons (just no Arty HQ) assembled so I'll bring those
Stu's Idle

Postby Stu's Idle » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:58 am

Perfect.
andycuk

Postby andycuk » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:03 pm

Lavallin wrote:I've got a really busy couple of weeks this week and next, but I'd be happy to give you a game in the week commencing 02 Oct if that suits?

I've no doubt Stu will explain everything to you, so if there's anything you want to test out once you've gripped the basics (e.g. different force compositions, special rules, different missions etc) please give me a shout. I can probably scratch together a force for almost anything the Germans fielded in 1944 onward...

Hi,
Due to work I'm available all day Mon/Tue during next week and all day Mon-Wed the following week, though I gather Weds tends to be fairly busy. The next couple of weekends are open too.

I'm still very much just in the starting blocks but am working on some infantry at the moment (as I discovered last week that a list of Shermans tends to blow up easy, though that may have had something to do with Stu's "Tiger Killer" main guns :D )

How many points? I've got the Overlord Intel Briefings on the FoW Forces website now, so it should be updated to v4
Lavallin

Postby Lavallin » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:10 pm

So would Weds 04th work for you? Wednesdays at the Duke can be a bit busy but if we book a table we'd be fine.

I'd probably aim to bring a mechanised list with plenty of halftracks, so your Shermans would certainly fare better than against SU-100s. I'd bring my list from Atlantik Wall, so it should be good and balanced against Overlord. Happy to be flexible on points; 1750 used to be fairly standard, and these days 1500 or 1525 seems to be more common.
andycuk

Postby andycuk » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:22 pm

Weds 4th wouldn't, no, I'll be at work.
Sorry, I wasn't clear on my availability so I'll put it out long form, for October:

Mon 2nd, Tue 3rd

Mon 9th, Tue 10th, Wed 11th

Mon 16th, Tue 17th, Wed 18th, Thu 19th

Tue 24th, Wed 25th, Thu 26th, Fri 27th

I'm sure you can see the pattern emerging already :)
Lavallin

Postby Lavallin » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:57 pm

Sorry, that was me having slipped a week. Jet lag is a hell of a drug! Tues 3rd then?
andycuk

Postby andycuk » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:18 pm

Yep Tues 3rd is fine - I'm off work all day so pick any time.
I can assure you it won't be a fast paced game though! :)
Lavallin

Postby Lavallin » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:44 pm

It'll have to be after work for me, I'm afraid, so 1800 or 1830. Do you have a preference for points level?

Don't worry about game pace; I'm happy to try to answer any questions as we go. It's a somewhat complex but not ridiculous ruleset, and you'll pick it up soon enough.
andycuk

Postby andycuk » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:45 am

I don't actually know how many points I have that I can field :) I will do a tot up and let you know.
I'm quite convinced I have far too many Shermans, but I'm fairly confident I can put 1500 on the field without any trouble, unless that's a bit much for a newbie.

Oh also, I've not got round to AA / Aircraft yet so if it's all land based units that works for me :)
Lavallin

Postby Lavallin » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:20 am

1500 should be fine. And don't worry about air - the Luftwaffe didn't have much to offer in Jun 1944 anyway, so I don't think my list even has the option!
Stu's Idle

Postby Stu's Idle » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:45 pm

andycuk wrote:I discovered last week that a list of Shermans tends to blow up easy, though that may have had something to do with Stu's "Tiger Killer" main guns :D )

It wasn't a fair fight. T-34-85s, while stationary and at close range, while nearly always beat a Sherman (better armour and gun). If you can stay at range (using the Brit semi-indirect rule) and force me to move (forcing me to hen & chick) I would have struggled. I just grabbed 5 tanks to demo with, I should have used T-34-76s for a more even fight. Shermans are good tanks generally so don't worry that you have too many.
andycuk

Postby andycuk » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:54 pm

Well I'm trying to make a more rounded force, if anything just to use a bit of everything so I can use more of the rules.
I've got one rifle platoon painting now (3 teams) and some PSC Halftracks as a small infantry supporting force.
I'm still a tad confused with the v4 HQ unit & observers as both the force diagrams in the Overlord book AND on the Forces web site are showing the old set up. Is it gun teams don't get an HQ unit (so just guns) but a rifle platoon still would? (Officer base, Piat base, small mortar base)
Lavallin

Postby Lavallin » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:29 pm

Thats correct - a platoon just of gun teams (HMGs, artillery, AT guns, etc) no longer deploys their command team. There are rules on the Battlefront homepage whereby there are plans to make units that lose teams a bit cheaper.

Infantry (and indeed also mixed) units do keep their commanders.

Return to “World War 2”