Flames Round Robin, Weds 11th

Discussions for all things World War 2 related (FOW / Bolt Action)

Moderator: Demenzia

Lavallin
Flag: Great Britain

Flames Round Robin, Weds 11th

Postby Lavallin » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:22 pm

A few of us (Andy, Seb, Peter and I) are planning to play some Flames on Wednesday. I'll get there after work, so about 1800 or 1830, but if people want to start earlier, that's great. We have 4 so far, but more people are very welcome to join in if they want - I'll plan to bring at least a second army with me, if not also a third, limited by what I can easily fit in my bag. And, even if Stu is playing, I figure we can probably ask nicely to borrow some Soviet tanks if needed, as I'm told he has a few.

In order to play faster and hopefully get a few games in, I'd like to propose that we play at 1000pts, on 4'x4' tables, and I'll try to keep an eye on the time so that we can change over; hopefully we may be able to get three games of 90 mins in, if that's not too late, but worst case, two 2hr games would also be fine.
Stu's Idle

Re: Flames Round Robin, Weds 11th

Postby Stu's Idle » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:38 am

I'll try and join in.
Flames Of War: Soviets
Team Yankee (6mm and 15mm): Soviets
Bolt Action: Soviets
DUST: SSU aka Soviets (anyone spotted the theme yet?)
Star Wars Armada: Imperials (Space Soviets, a long, long time ago)
Epic Armageddon: Imperials (Space Soviets, in the grim, far future)
Frostgrave: Dwarves (Short Soviets)
andycuk

Postby andycuk » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:44 pm

I can show up a bit earlier if others are.
I prob wont be able to hang around much beyond 10pm due to an early start at work next morning and the buses to Bradley Stoke (as with all Bristol buses) are hopeless, especially at night.
Jamrowski
Committee Member
Flag: Christmas Island

Postby Jamrowski » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:26 pm

Not really interested in late war at the moment (sorry); any plans to run anything similar for Mid-War?
Team Yankee: US / Soviet Armour
Flames of War: EW British Armour / LW US Armour
DUST Tactics: Allied / USMC
andycuk

Postby andycuk » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:10 pm

I am (slowly) working on mid war desert rats on the side. Should be in a position to play in a little while
Jamrowski
Committee Member
Flag: Christmas Island

Postby Jamrowski » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:44 am

andycuk wrote:I am (slowly) working on mid war desert rats on the side. Should be in a position to play in a little while

That's great news; I've got Mid War:
- Americans (Mechanised Company)
- NDAK (Tank Company currently...and hopefully in an Infantry company complete in a few weeks)
- Desert Rats (Tank Company <as long as you don't mind the Grants / Honey Stuart's being a 'lend lease' shade of green :D >)

I'll be more than a little rusty with the V4 rules (not played a mid war game since V4 was launched <come to think of it, I've not played much Flames of any period since V4 was launched>) so you may get a hybrid mix of V3, V4 and Team Yankee in terms of gameplay :lol:

Just shout when you have enough 'stuff' prepped to put on the table.....
Team Yankee: US / Soviet Armour
Flames of War: EW British Armour / LW US Armour
DUST Tactics: Allied / USMC
Lavallin

Postby Lavallin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:53 am

Thanks to all who came out yesterday - I had a good time, although I'll be honest, I'm not convinced the Round Robin concept worked (at all!)

Subject to people's work calendars etc, what would people think about re-establishing a semi-regular World War Wednesday? Happy to mix things up with points levels, eras, etc as required. Although I think the proposal for next week was potentially a 2v2 (or more!) LW to round out "Operation Goulash", Seb's putative British support to Hungarian democratic insurgency on a second front in 1944.

For Mid War, noting that not all nations and companies have been updated yet, does anyone know whether 1500pts of "old" MW is actually equivalent to 100pts from a new list? Otherwise I'm concerned that we risk excluding some people who have not yet been swept up to "full" v4-ness.
Vyper

Postby Vyper » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:03 am

I think the games still just take a bit too long to play that getting one actually done in two hours is pretty impractical! If it was an all-dayer on a weekend then I think that would be more conducive to getting multiple games in. I'm happy to make Wednesdays a fairly regular thing though - would rather have a regular weekly shorter session then trying to cram in multiple games more occasionally.

Definitely up for a big game on Wednesday, although I'm also free this weekend as well should that be convenient.

I have no idea how points match up between v3 and v4. Might be worth running the numbers on some comparable units to see how they correlate but otherwise I'm happy to say "eh, close enough". Otherwise infantry, tanks and big guns translate pretty well between nations and I'm sure I could proxy my Hungarians as Germans if someone wanted to play with true v4 lists. Are the v4 lists actually on Forces of War now?
Your local Infinity War Correspondent.
Check out my wargaming blog at http://www.lead-rising.com.
andycuk

Postby andycuk » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:50 pm

Due to work I will be 50/50 whichever day/time you pick so I won't express a preference and whatever people come up with, excluding any other external factors besides work, I'll be there for 4 weeks in a row then unavailable the next 4 (and so on).
I'll be working the next 3 weekends, but be around the next 3 weds

Return to “World War 2”