Attention world war type gaming people

Discussions for all things World War 2 related (FOW / Bolt Action)

Moderator: Demenzia

Josh
Committee Member
Flag: Great Britain

Attention world war type gaming people

Postby Josh » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:24 pm

Hello,

As you may have noticed i am covbling together a new website for the club.

I have a section for world war type hames but not really knowing much abiut this corner of the club i am a bit at a loss what to put there or even what to call the secrion.

Questions!

What catchall title covers flames of war and the other games you play? Historical? Modern? World War Games?

What would you like to go on the following page to help newcomers to bristol or the club connect and engage with your community?

https://bristolvanguard.com/world-war-games/

How does one organise a game in your community?

Where do you play?

Do you have any events you would like publised on the club website?

Are there anyother questions i should have asked?
Josh
Committee Member

Re: Attention world war type gaming people

Postby Josh » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:25 pm

Oh and do you have any nice pictures of hobby tanks to put on the page?
Lavallin

Postby Lavallin » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:11 pm

José technically remains the system rep for WW2 - but I know his interest is more toward Dust (Weird War 2), so for what it's worth, here are my thoughts:

"Historical" possibly works as a section title, as could "World War 2". I'm not aware of much other historical gaming being played at the club (although I'm happy for anyone to jump in and say there's a thriving e.g. Napoleonics scene...)

The main games we play include Flames of War, Bolt Action, and Dust; I've also seen Battlegroup played, and we're certainly open to others. There's quite a strong crossover between WW2 and Cold War Gone Hot/Early Modern due to the release of Team Yankee (effectively "Flames of War: Modern"). Primary scale is 15mm for FoW/TY/Battlegroup, but there's also plenty of 28mm, and a small amount of 6mm. Nobody really cares which manufacturer you get minis from, as you can't copyright a Sherman.

Games are often organised on the forum, or informally through existing contacts (WhatsApp etc). I personally don't use Facebook but would be prepared to believe that some things are organised there. I don't believe there's anything like a semi-official "Bristol Vanguard Flames of War" WhatsApp group, but I'd be prepared to create and (lightly) administer one if people thought there was a need.

Games are almost entirely played at the Old Duke. I'm aware of some games being played at BIG and others, but the Duke is the location of most of our regular games, and our two annual events, Easterfront, and Tanksgiving. We have a good range of 15mm terrain, principally covering the Western European theatre, but with some desert and Eastern Front terrain.

Events are as above: Easterfront and Tanksgiving. Easterfront is likely to be near Easter, exact date still TBD; Tanksgiving was last held on Sun 03 Dec. We have a few pics from previous events which I'm very happy to share by whatever sensible means you prefer. I'm also intending to organise a battlefield tour road trip for the summer. Gaming experience is not necessary, but an interest in military history is. The intention is to take a week, and do Northern France. Although there'll be a focus on Normandy 1944, I'm also planning to include Dunkirk and Dieppe.
Wiggles

Postby Wiggles » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:40 pm

World war games doesn't really scan IMO.

I think I understand what you're trying to do wrt collating community information, so I understand that you want to focus on games that are actually played :P

On balance I'd probably suggest Historical and Modern to cover all bases.
Talk is cheap. Come, face me!
740/1550/2355pts FoW Early/Mid/Late
Armada

Obligatory Wargaming Blog
All That Remains Project Blog

Return to “World War 2”