Thinking of starting Warmachine

Rossenheimer

Thinking of starting Warmachine

Postby Rossenheimer » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:51 pm

Thinking of breaking into Warmachine with the Protectorate of Menoth, I've got the rulebook and menoth forces book (also mercenaries but one step at a time)

At first glance it seems that the rules aren't overly complex, but highly nuanced leading to very selective builds and playstyles not easily accessible for the beginner- am I right in this assumption?

Also do Warcasters not have a cost? Are they all simply better/worse at different things?
In the forces of Menoth book there are restrictive army lists that provide certain boons at Tier 1, 2, 3 + 4- are these cumulative? Requisite? This would support my original impression that if you aren't running a very specific combination of units you're likely to get thrashed all the time.

Ross
Azzabat
Flag: Canada

Re: Thinking of starting Warmachine

Postby Azzabat » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:51 pm

Rossenheimer wrote:At first glance it seems that the rules aren't overly complex, but highly nuanced leading to very selective builds and playstyles not easily accessible for the beginner- am I right in this assumption?Ross

Warmachine is one of those games where the basic rules are really easy to learn, but harder to master, and yes, you can style your build with selective choices and elements. Certain units will work better when used with certain other units and it takes time to get to know which combinations work best together.

Rossenheimer wrote:Also do Warcasters not have a cost? Are they all simply better/worse at different things?

All Warcasters have a basic "Free Points Cost" associated with them. In my case my Warcaster has 7 free points so if I take him I get 7 points of troops/warmachines for free BEFORE I start costing a force. I.E. my Warcaster (-7) with a light jack (+3) and a Heavy jack (+6) comes to 2 points.
And yes, different Casters are better/worse at different things.

Rossenheimer wrote:In the forces of Menoth book there are restrictive army lists that provide certain boons at Tier 1, 2, 3 + 4- are these cumulative? Requisite? This would support my original impression that if you aren't running a very specific combination of units you're likely to get thrashed all the time.

Yes, all tiers are cumulative, and no, you don't have to take them (you just won't get the bonuses for them if you don't). I don't know about having to take certain troop choices/combo's or get thrashed though ... I get thrashed all the time.
It can seem that certain choices are almost a "must have", although, but this is the same for many games like X-wing, WHFB, etc. I do know what you mean though. I field an all Dwarven Rhulic force and if I were to field a certain Human musician, it would give my force a great boost. But I don't field him as I want to go all Dwarves.

That said I played a game against Jan where he wiped out my force in 2 turns. We then swapped armies ... and he wiped out my force in 2 turns!. It's a game where it's just as important to know your enemies forces and abilities as well as your own. I personally find Warmachine is a great little game at the lower points end, 8pts, 15pts or 35 pts, certainly for beginners. Then when you get familiar with your force you can add in all the shiny, pretty new units.

I'd suggest popping down to BIG where the Warmachine crowd tend to go when they have their next meet as there are folks FAR more knowledgeable than I.

Hope this helps.

C J = )
I know the voices aren't real ... but they have such FASCINATING ideas!

C J = )
Rossenheimer

Postby Rossenheimer » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:20 pm

Thanks for your advise! It seems like I need to get some games in before I really know what's what, although I think BIG is a bit difficult for me to get to.
Does anyone play warmachine at the duke?
Devilshot
Flag: Great Britain

Postby Devilshot » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:48 pm

Rossenheimer

Postby Rossenheimer » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:44 pm

well I've bought a warcaster and 4 'jacks...
Azzabat

Postby Azzabat » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:31 am

One of us ... One of us! :D

C J = )
Errant

Postby Errant » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:34 am

Nice to see more people coming in ready for a new year and all!

Everything CJ said is spot on very little for me to add.

I'm pretty sure the Duke has people playing if BIG is awkward to get to. The thing with BIG is that the Pigmar group (Bath) and myself (Bristol) want to get some sort of regular full day of gaming in the Bristol area and BIG just happens to be in the middle of both. At least once a month if things go well and we get the numbers!

I'm also trying to 'persuade' a friend of mine to start playing so if you're interested I could possibly get the pair of you together and run you through the rules! Otherwise i'm ok with running people through some intro games.

- Jun
Rossenheimer

Postby Rossenheimer » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:09 pm

sounds good, also BIG doesn't actually seem as hard to get to as I had imagined- bring on the new year!
What is the most popular points level?

Ross
Azzabat

Postby Azzabat » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:34 pm

35pts or 50pts is what I've mainly played (Though I personally prefer 15pts) and this seem to be the most common. Correct me if I'm wrong guys.

C J = )
Errant

Postby Errant » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:38 am

If its a tournament then 50pts used the most by far. 35pts does pop up time to time.
That said, I wouldn't recommend you go past 15pts for the first 5-10 games :)
Rossenheimer

Postby Rossenheimer » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:46 pm

my purchases so far come to (including warcaster allowance) a whopping 17pts
Errant

Postby Errant » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:35 am

I should have asked this earlier... what exactly did you buy?
radegast6@gmail.com
Flag: Poland

Postby radegast6@gmail.com » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:33 am

Hi Ross! I play warmachine too if you want a game in duke with someone who don't know rules to much :D . I will definitely bring my Jacks and mechanics to paint on one of the painting sessions in January.
Username: radegast6@gmail.com
Games -Warmachine -Khador,dreadballveer-myn,WarzoneRessurection-Mishima,2nd.ed.BauchausMilitia,Deadzone-all Warpath-Verr-myn,Infinity Ariadna, Necromunda Malifaux - GuildBoard Games-Risk,Zombies!!!,SpaceHulk,ProjectPandora,
Games to be Xwing, Wolfsung
My painting blog -http://miniaturesconversion.blogspot.co.uk/
Rossenheimer

Postby Rossenheimer » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:21 pm

Errant wrote:I should have asked this earlier... what exactly did you buy?

I got Kreoss, Crusader, Repenter (or was it Redeemer?) and 2x Revengers

I really like the aesthetic of Deliverers, so shall probably be getting them at some point, but I'll be able to make more informed decisions once I know the rules.

Radegast I'd definitely be up for that in the new year- you've got Khador right?
Errant

Postby Errant » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:12 am

So the Menoth battlebox and a second Revenger? Normal, 2nd revenger is a bit awkward in the long run.

If you're going to run through learner games stick to the BB: Kreoss, crusader, repenter and revenger as it'll make things simpler.

Return to “Hordes & Warmachine”