List/model advice

Errant

List/model advice

Postby Errant » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:56 pm

Post any questions about specfic models or lists here i'll try and give decent advice.

Most advice will be general, for newer players that means I will point you towards models that will be useful for most casters in your faction. I won't comment on how a model looks.

If you need a site to quickly make lists and don't want to use warroom then: Forward Kommander is pretty useful.
Last edited by Errant on Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Errant

Re: List/model advice

Postby Errant » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:58 pm

First of all Dani, pDeneghra.

Cryx is primarily a Infantry Faction, so most recommendations I will make will be reducing the number of Jacks you use and replacing them with undead guys and pirate girls. It is possible to use more Jacks but the infantry fit in more comfortably in the long run.

I totalled up your BB points and the list comes to 14pts already pretty much preventing you from adding anything to make it 15pts (there isn't anything worth 1pt i'd recommend atm).

Its probs reasonable to let you drop a chicken if you feel like it. Three might be to many, and you may want to try some new stuff out. If you do i'd recommend you fill the points back up with some combination of the following:

Skarlock Thrall (2pts)
Warwitch Siren (2pts)
Pistol Wraith (3pts)

The Skarlock can cast spells from your Warcasters spell card, so he goes around casting Ghostwalk, Venoms, Parasite and all that nasty goodness. Most of the time it will be Ghost Walk, the Skarlock will hang back and put it on whoever needs it so they can go through that pesky forest or over a wall.

The Warwitch is essentially a mini-Denny, she runs around handing out 1 Focus to the jacks or casting Venom on people. She also has Shadowbind on her poke stick and Stealth like pDenny does.

The Pistol Wraith a ghost and therefore Incoporeal so it ignores non magical attacks. His main role is to shoot infantry, but if he hits the same target with both pistols he gets a third shot which will stop the target from either moving or attacking.

They fit with pretty much all casters, if I had to lean towards something i'd take a Skarlock + Warwitch. You can also double up on Warwitches or Pistol Wraiths but you can only ever have one Skarlock.

When things hit 25pts I feel that it would be best to add a unit in:
Satyxis Raiders (max) + UA
or
Bane Thralls (max) + UA

There two other common options, Satyxis Sea Witches or Bane Knights but I'd lean to either one of the above.

Raiders are extremely fast pirate girls with whips. Not much else I can say really.

Bane Thralls are the most (?) recognised unit in Cryx, undead things that hit really, Really, REALLY hard. They are also Stealth, so like Denny they can't be shot by most things.

I'll leave 35pts for another time.
bintykins

Postby bintykins » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:01 am

Thanks Errant!

I have a Warwitch Siren, and have a Skarlock Thrall and a Pistol Wraith on the way! :D I can't wait! I really want Bane Knights for my unit (since I picked up a Bane Lord Tartarus!) but dayum thems expensive! :/
Maybe I'll have to stick with Mechanithralls for my unit and just see how it goes. CRYX MISHMASH.
I did get a Necrotech Surgeon and stitch thrall (I think that's what they're called?) as part of a job lot... I need more to make that a unit, right? Can't play just the two of them?
Errant

Postby Errant » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:20 am

Urrgh Tartarus... T_T nothing will save us now! It is however best to play him with another Bane unit to get the most of out him. As he can Curse a target so your Knights get there faster and hit more accurately as well as add extra models to the unit if he kills something.

Necrosurgeons are pretty much always played with Mechathralls so they can add more models to the unit using corpses. If they're played alone typically its with one of the Skarres as some of her abilities hurt herself and the Surgeon can stitch her back together. It is also worth playing with a LIVING unit in your force so that when they die you can recycle into more Mechathralls.

Did your job lot come with 1 stitch thrall? There should be three... i'd have a word with the person who sold it to you if not. But you can play it with less, I doubt anyone would be unhappy with you :D.
bintykins

Postby bintykins » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:28 am

Hmmmm...maybe I should check the box again.. I was sure it was only one. But I'm still a bit stupid when it comes to how many tiny little fecking pieces of metal make one bad-ass!
I can't complain... I got it so cheaps! :D
You'll be there tomorrow night, oui? I will pick your brain then!
Errant

Postby Errant » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:38 am

bintykins wrote:You'll be there tomorrow night, oui? I will pick your brain then!

We've created an undead monstrosity!
Syneri
Committee Member

Postby Syneri » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:57 am

Now with added Tartarsauce.

(You've got nobody to blame but yourself Errant ... Cryx has this effect on most people)
A.K.A. Jan (or the WHFB Rep) - The man who runs events - Contact via @Syneri on Twitter or Syneri.Azjol on Skype

bintykins

Postby bintykins » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:18 am

Duuuuuh, I checked and I have a full unit of the Stitch Thralls/Necro Surgeon >:D
Man I can't wait to start playing with new stuff!
Monk
Committee Member
Flag: Germany

Postby Monk » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:46 am

Dani did you want to play with 15pts on tonight instead then?
My Painting - Http://thepaintingmonkey.wordpress.com
My Ramblings - https://twitter.com/MunkeyKungFu

Games currently playing
X-Wing| Board games Galore| Guild Ball | Warhammer Conquest | Game of Thrones LCG
bintykins

Postby bintykins » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:34 am

Awwwww man! I already made it to work with my army packed! I didn't bring any extras! ;_;
Monk
Committee Member

Postby Monk » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:31 am

No worries

Games currently playing
X-Wing| Board games Galore| Guild Ball | Warhammer Conquest | Game of Thrones LCG
Errant

Postby Errant » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:57 am

I mentioned this already, but the Cryx BB is 14pts (broooken!) so a 15pt fight is still reasonable.
Monk
Committee Member

Postby Monk » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:58 am

It's 14pts! no wonder their faction is so damned broken! I can get a unit and a solo in for that :o

Games currently playing
Azzabat
Flag: Canada

Postby Azzabat » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:58 am

I did wonder the other day why Jan in our knock about the other week seemed to have twice as many mini's as myself. Turns out my BB is 8pts. To make it up to 14pts I could have another 2 Gun Bunnies!

@Dani: love your Angry Bunny drawing. If I wasn't such a patriot if steal it for my Avatar.

Go Go Gun Bunnies!
I know the voices aren't real ... but they have such FASCINATING ideas!

C J = )
Preston
Flag: Great Britain

Postby Preston » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:46 am

Had my first game today (thanks CJ), great fun and I can see I am going to enjoy the tactical side and working out what I should have done a couple of turns later.

Currently playing with Strakhov, a Juggernaut and a destroyer. Going up to 15 will give me 5 more points.

I can add either:
5 Kommando Grunts + Leader
OR
3 Widow Makers + Leader AND a Wardog. Thoughts?
Painting Logs:
My Dwarfs

My Forces:
WHFB: Dwarfs/Skaven/Vampire Counts | 40k: Black Templars | Warmachine: Khador

RPG's
WHFRP 4th ED | ShadowRun 2nd/4th | RIFTS
bintykins

Postby bintykins » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:34 am

I am in no way an expert (since I only just started playing myself!) but that War Dog is well good! By that I mean: I HATE IT! Stupid mutt :p so I'd go with your second option :)
Errant

Postby Errant » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:59 am

Widowmakers + Dog to start with.

Also consider your 15-25pts depending on your style.

IronFang Pikemen +UA (hit really hard with good ARM, if you can get the Black Dragons from PP, its an international order so not cheap)
Winterguard Infantry + UA + Joe (lots of anti infantry clearing, and very hard to kill them all)
Kayazy Assassins + Underboss (Almost unhittable in melee and hit pretty hard but can be killed by explosions fairly easily)

Considering the makeup of your army atm i'd probs go with Kayazy or Black Dragon IFP

You could take another Jack but i'd recommend leaving that unti 25-35pts.
Last edited by Errant on Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Preston
Flag: Great Britain

Postby Preston » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:12 am

I'm a tad confused, in April should we aim for 15 pts, 25 pts or somewhere in between?
Painting Logs:
My Dwarfs

My Forces:
WHFB: Dwarfs/Skaven/Vampire Counts | 40k: Black Templars | Warmachine: Khador

RPG's
WHFRP 4th ED | ShadowRun 2nd/4th | RIFTS
Azzabat

Postby Azzabat » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:32 am

I'm going for 15pts as my initial Battle Box was only 8pts.

Gorten (-7pts)
Gun Bunny (+3pts)
Gun Bunny (+3pts)
Gun Bunny (+3pts)
Driller (+6pts)

Total +8pts

For 15pts I get (as I understand it)

Gorten Grundback (-7 pts)
Driller (+6pts)
Thor Steinhammer (+2pts)
5x Forge Guard (+5pts)
Gun Bunny Wun (+3pts)
Gun Bunny Too (+3pts)
Gun Bunny Thor (+3pts) (Gun Bunny Tree has been sent back to Bunnery school)

Total +15pts

C J = )
Errant

Postby Errant » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:46 am

Azzabat wrote:I'm going for 15pts as my initial Battle Box was only 8pts.

Gorten (-7pts)
Gun Bunny (+3pts)
Gun Bunny (+3pts)
Gun Bunny (+3pts)
Driller (+6pts)

Total +8pts

For 15pts I get (as I understand it)

Gorten Grundback (-7 pts)
Driller (+6pts)
Thor Steinhammer (+2pts)
5x Forge Guard (+5pts)
Gun Bunny Wun (+3pts)
Gun Bunny Too (+3pts)
Gun Bunny Thor (+3pts) (Gun Bunny Tree has been sent back to Bunnery school)

Total +15pts

Forgeguard units come in either 6 or 10man units. Its written on the card as Leader +5 others.

I will get around to explaining Units and Leader models in April as people pick them up.
Monk
Committee Member

Postby Monk » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:31 pm

Preston if you want to borrow any units to try before you buy let me know. I have most of the stuff mentioned about except the kommandos

Games currently playing
Azzabat

Postby Azzabat » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:55 pm

Cheers for that Errant. I'm always confused with that as some systems give you units plus additional figure as a leader, others upgrade an existing figure to a leader. Even more armour to paint then. :D

Could you copy over your list advice for Searforge please, I found it really useful.
I've just ordered 2 more Gun Bunnies and a Rock Hammer on next day delivery. The anticipation of my firestorm order possibly arriving everyday was doing my sweed in.

When it all comes I'll have a Driller, Rockhammer, Avalancher, Thor, 2 Gortend's, 6 Forge Guard .... And 8 Gun Bunnies!

C J = )
Errant

Postby Errant » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:09 pm

Gortens battlebox comes to 8pts so you have some nice room to do whatever you want. The first 15pts comes down mainly to if you want shooty d00fs or hammer d00fs.

Thor Steinhammer (2pts)
+
Horgenhold Forge Guard (min) or Hammerfell High Shield Gun Corps (min) (both 5pts)

The Forge Guard and Gun Corps I both sold in max unit size boxes but you can only fit minimum sized units in currently. Personally i'd take the Forge Guard for a bit more punch, that and I like rocket propelled hammers.

Going up to 25pts brings in the issue of faction purity, I don't know if you want to have an army of just d00fs but Mercs have a lot of very nice stuff which will require you to branch out. I feel that this is best discussed in person but i'll provide examples.

Faction pure:
Faction: Searforge Commission
Gorten Grundback (*7pts)
* Grundback Gunner (3pts)
* Ghordson Driller (6pts)
Hammerfall High Shield Gun Corps (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
* Hammerfall High Shield Gun Corps Officer & Standard (3pts)
Horgenhold Forge Guard (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)

Since you've played a few games and are finding you're dying i'll change the list above slightly to a new one:

Faction: Searforge Commission
Casters: 1/1
Gorten Grundback (*7pts)
* Ghordson Driller (6pts)
Horgenhold Forge Guard (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
Tactical Arcanist Corps (4pts) <----- Provide some blasty spells but more importantly cloud effects to block line of sight to your caster.
Ogrun Bokur (3pts) <---- acts as a body guard and 'Shield Guard' s a shot, is also pretty nice in combat.
Thor Steinhammer (2pts)
Azzabat

Postby Azzabat » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:30 pm

Funny you should say that as I was toying with the idea of running an Ogrun Boku to try and increase Gorten's survivability. That said according to the league stats I'm running at about 50/50 win/loss which I hadn't realised. Perhaps i just remember the defeats as these are the games I've learnt the most from.

If I take the Tactical Arcanist Corps, can I still claim the +4" deployment?

C J = )
Errant

Postby Errant » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:57 pm

Azzabat wrote:Funny you should say that as I was toying with the idea of running an Ogrun Boku to try and increase Gorten's survivability. That said according to the league stats I'm running at about 50/50 win/loss which I hadn't realised. Perhaps i just remember the defeats as these are the games I've learnt the most from.

*Cough* read your army book :D
Azzabat

Postby Azzabat » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:54 pm

Errant wrote:
Azzabat wrote:Funny you should say that as I was toying with the idea of running an Ogrun Boku to try and increase Gorten's survivability. That said according to the league stats I'm running at about 50/50 win/loss which I hadn't realised. Perhaps i just remember the defeats as these are the games I've learnt the most from.

*Cough* read your army book :D

I would refer the learned gentleman to the tag line on my signature below. ;)

C J = )
bintykins

Postby bintykins » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:04 pm

I am finding half the fun in reading the book! :D
Get on it CJ!
Azzabat

Postby Azzabat » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:21 pm

I intend to ... honest! It's just that, well ... life seems to get in the way. And Beer. It's a bloody good job I'm single, I'd hate to have to cram a relationship into my busy social life as well.

"OK ... I can pop round at 19:00hrs on the 29th for some snuggling, but I've got to be out by 19:27 for Warmachine. I can pencil you in for 45 minutes the week after. Is the 5th any good for you??" :D

C J = )
bintykins

Postby bintykins » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:59 pm

Haha! It's almost like you've been listening in on mine and Ian's phone calls ;p
Monk
Committee Member

Postby Monk » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:34 am

I'm actually torn on my 15-25pt upgrade. I initially thought full unit of Fennblades+UA but now I am thinking a max unit of Warders and the stonescribe Elder.

Games currently playing

Return to “Hordes & Warmachine”