List/model advice

Errant

Re: List/model advice

Postby Errant » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:02 pm

Monk wrote:I'm actually torn on my 15-25pt upgrade. I initially thought full unit of Fennblades+UA but now I am thinking a max unit of Warders and the stonescribe Elder.

If you take Fennblades you'll have a good anti infantry unit with lots of bodies, vengeance and probs most important good threat and pathfinder. They'll give you board space for the rest of your stuff to get into position.

Warders will be there to make your brick even harder to crack, you'll get less attacks but they'll each hurt more.

The Stonescribe Combat Warding is nice but I think you'll probs be using Stone Strength more often.
Monk
Committee Member
Flag: Germany

Postby Monk » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:03 pm

Well looks like a bought a but ton of new beasts, warlocks and units. Might need to sell off some unused khador to facilitate this lol
My Painting - Http://thepaintingmonkey.wordpress.com
My Ramblings - https://twitter.com/MunkeyKungFu

Games currently playing
X-Wing| Board games Galore| Guild Ball | Warhammer Conquest | Game of Thrones LCG
Josh
Committee Member
Flag: Great Britain

Postby Josh » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:10 pm

Right so at 25 i am now sitting on:

Convergence of Cyriss - League 25 Points copy

30 / 31 (25+6) Warcaster(s) : 1/1 Warjack(s) : 5 Battle Engines : 0 Solos : 1 Units : 1

Forge Master Syntherion - WJ: +6
- Cipher - PC: 9
- Mitigator - PC: 4
- Diffuser - PC: 3
- Corollary - PC: 3
- Monitor - PC: 8
Accretion Servitors - PC: 1
Optifex Directive - Leader & 2 Grunts: PC w

Now I think this qualifies me for tier 1, 2 and 3 of the The Great Machine theme

TIER 1
---Requirements---
The army can only include the models listed above.
---Benefits---
Algorithmic Dispersion Optifex solos gain Advance Deployment.

TIER 2
---Requirements---
The army includes a Corollary.
---Benefits---
Reduce the cost of Syntherion's spells by 1 during your first turn of the game.

TIER 3
---Requirements---
The army includes one or more Optifex Directive units.
---Benefits---
For each Optifex Directive unit in the army, the Corollary begins the game with 1 focus point (to a maximum of 3).

Do I get all of the benefits or must I choose a tier?
Josh
Committee Member

Postby Josh » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:12 pm

Going up to next bracket I have some units to add, even with recycling focus I don't think I can sustain more jacks...
Josh
Committee Member

Postby Josh » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:13 pm

Ha actually I hit tier 4 as well with that list... Free galvaniser on top of all the other benefits?
Errant

Postby Errant » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:19 pm

The tiers are like unlocks where you get the benefits if you meet the requirements of it and all previous tiers.

I think you'd be surprised how many jacks Syntherion can use. He typically plays an entirely battlegroup force with only the optifex and servitors as support.

Yes free galvaniser.
Go to
http://www.forwardkommander.com/
its a good list builder
Monk
Committee Member

Postby Monk » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:20 pm

Bloody hell thats quite scary. I must admit I am not a fan of some of the theme forces for trolls

Games currently playing
X-Wing| Board games Galore| Guild Ball | Warhammer Conquest | Game of Thrones LCG
Errant

Postby Errant » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:50 pm

Agreed, most of the older theme forces weren't designed with any sort of competitiveness in mind. Convergeance is quite nice as all the theme forces it has are usuable.

That said, if you ever pick up pDoomshaper try Runes of War that theme breaks my balls every time.
Syneri
Committee Member

Postby Syneri » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:46 am

Just expect to fork out an arm, leg and probably both kidneys for all those Runeshapers.

Josh - erk, that is a lot of jacks to chew through!
A.K.A. Jan (or the WHFB Rep) - The man who runs events - Contact via @Syneri on Twitter or Syneri.Azjol on Skype

Monk
Committee Member

Postby Monk » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:14 am

Yeah £100 for 12 models. F*** that!

Games currently playing
Errant

Postby Errant » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:04 am

Syneri wrote:Just expect to fork out an arm, leg and probably both kidneys for all those Runeshapers

I know quite a few people who have done just that :)

Josh, if you're going to use accretion servitors i'd try and fit a Algorithmic Dispersion Optifex in for 1pt as well so you might get a chance to cast Magnetic Hold without having Syntherion in harms way. Otherwise use Attunment Servitors as the Flare from them is really useful and might let your Cipher do other things.
Dave Fraser
Flag: Micronesia

Postby Dave Fraser » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:14 pm

Anyone any experience with Mercs? I started to buy into the game a while back but ended up shelving it all after a couple of 25pts games due to moving and never pulled it back out. Gonna be a while before I get round to playing but might consider picking some more stuff up to ensure I have a fun playable force.

Here's what I own:
Captain Bartolo Montador
Magnus the Traitor
Renegade
Mangler
Nomad
Nomad/Mule/Rover - magnetised the plastic multioption kit so can be any of the 3/
Sylys Wyshnalyrr, the Seeker
Croe's Cutthroats (Croe and 5 Grunts)
Greygore Boomhowler & Co. (Boomhowler and 9 Grunts)
Gorman di Wulfe, Rogue Alchemist
Orin Midwinter, Rogue Inquisitor
Ragman
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord
Saxon Orrik

For my couple of 25pts games I had before I ran:
pMagnus
Nomad
Rover
Renegade
Gorman
10 Boomhowler unit
Errant

Postby Errant » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:58 pm

Dave Fraser wrote:Anyone any experience with Mercs? I started to buy into the game a while back but ended up shelving it all after a couple of 25pts games due to moving and never pulled it back out. Gonna be a while before I get round to playing but might consider picking some more stuff up to ensure I have a fun playable force.

You have a pretty playable selection stuff which is good.

I'm going to need to know how you want to play before I start giving advice. Mercs is the largest and most complex faction in WmH due to the contracts and sheer number of units/models.

Going by the Casters you already own i'd recommend Magnus first as Bart works best with Galleon Collossal which won't be legal in the league atm. If you have any other casters in mind let me know i'll do my best to help.
Josh
Committee Member

Postby Josh » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:40 pm

Servitude selection was mostly decided by what was on the shelf at firestorm, do want some flare bitches next for sure.
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:15 am

Errant wrote:I'm going to need to know how you want to play before I start giving advice. Mercs is the largest and most complex faction in WmH due to the contracts and sheer number of units/models.

Going by the Casters you already own i'd recommend Magnus first as Bart works best with Galleon Collossal which won't be legal in the league atm. If you have any other casters in mind let me know i'll do my best to help.

I don't really know about the other casters, I'd picked those two because everyone said they were the best options if you wanted to run multiple jacks. Which is the real reason to play warmachine, any time I see people with swarms of 100s of models on the board it just puts me off the game, I want this to be a smaller model count but larger models based game, if I want loads of figs I'll go play WFB.

Heard everyone shout 'buy a collossal' when they came out for the Mercs but that won't be happening any time soon, I'll have to paint everything first. So really what I'm looking for pointers on would be are there any obviously no brainer Jacks or solos that I should have in my collection that I don't and then secondary to that what units would be a good idea, I'd heard people swear by Nyss or Kyazi on the PP forums but Croes not so much (I got them as part of a trade). Reason I went with the Mercs was I liked the variety of different looking units, lets me paint some trolls, elves etc without commiting to a single army and also the look of the jacks was better than most other factions. Khador too bulky and OTT, ret to melted, Cryxx simply not enough of them get played from what I hear. As you can tell I specifically wanted big robots rather than big beasties though I did consider them for a bit, what are the mamoth elephanty guys called, quite liked the look of them but ended up going this way.
Errant

Postby Errant » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:05 pm

Dave Fraser wrote:I don't really know about the other casters, I'd picked those two because everyone said they were the best options if you wanted to run multiple jacks. .

You've been misled. Mercs don't run large battlegroups. pMagnus can run a battlegroup as he has the Resourceful ability and has a battlegroup Feat, but that doesn't mean he would run it well. It is playble but I wouldn't call it competitive, and fun is subjective. Usually merc casters are good at making just one jack work well rather than entire battlegroup.

If you stick with Mercs then at best i'd say 3 Jacks and the rest infantry for a 50pt game, and considering how cheap their jacks are that is still likely to be 30+ infantry models. Honestly i'd also recommend you get Nyss, as Nyss and Boomhowlers are a good solid core.

One of Warmachines biggest faults is that it really isn't a robot stompy game because of the way the Focus mechanic works. Cyriss and Menoth are the only warmachine factions with decent large battlegroups.
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:44 pm

Errant wrote:You've been misled.

One of Warmachines biggest faults is that it really isn't a robot stompy game because of the way the Focus mechanic works. Cyriss and Menoth are the only warmachine factions with decent large battlegroups.

I should say they were the best options within mercs for multiple jacks.

But oh well, will paint up what I've got and see how it plays, if I don't enjoy it can always sell it on and look into one of those two factions, Cyriss didn't exist when I bought this lot and menoth visual identity doesn't really do much for me so will just have to see!

Thanks for the pointers.

Return to “Hordes & Warmachine”