Flames of War / Battle Front CWGH

Moderator: Jamrowski

Lt_Hedgehog
Flag: St Kitts-Nevis

Flames of War / Battle Front CWGH

Postby Lt_Hedgehog » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:44 pm

So I hear from Brighton warlords Battle front have an ambition to do a Cold War Gone Hot expansion.
Hmmmm.

15 & 20mm scale soviets...bugger, which one to go for....

Now I Have been advised by the proprietor of BIG,
(I forget his name.)
To go for 20mm Soviets as this scale has a wider appeal/availability regarding scenery as it matches with 1/72 scale which is also a close match for OO scale (1/76) railway.

I'd love to do 15mm as you feasibly could get a 1/1 sized Battalion and maybe even a regiment (my personal holy grail) on the table. (Battalion = 3 companies. Regiment = 2 Battalions + HQ elements.)

And it seems with Battlefront who seem to do the best deals with 3 x T-55s for ~£40 have an issue with getting supplies to the stores, and I'm a bit reluctant to buy online...

What do you guys think?
Forces in work:
15mm BAOR Squadron / Company size - Team Yankee / Sabre Squadron

Current playable (Painted):
6mm West Germans / Bundeswehr: Battalion sized-ish - Team Yankee / Sabre Squadron
X Wing (Rebels & Imperial, No Scum)
Stu's Idle
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Flames of War / Battle Front CWGH

Postby Stu's Idle » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:16 am

You have timed this very well.

Battlefront (I believe) will soon be releasing 15mm Cold War miniatures and rules. This, I assume, will be based in the 'Flames of War' ruleset. There are many players of WW2 Flames in Vanguard... some of whom hopefully will buy-in to Cold War.

I've never seen 20mm at Vanguard. We are not the only wargaming club in Bristol so you may find other groups who play a lot of 20mm... you'll have to research this yourself.

Myself and a few others have just brought 6mm Cold War minis (in my case Soviets), to be used in a Flames based Fan built system.

I love 6mm... (relatively) cheap, fast to paint and play, and works well with 'modern' gun ranges, Battalion sizes etc. for tanks... tougher with infantry.
My 6mm Soviets were only delivered to me today so I haven't played yet but I'm really looking forward to it. You're more than welcome to watch/join in/borrow my stuff to see if it suits you. If it works I may well buy some 15mm as well.

At Vanguard I suspect that 20mm won't happen, we have no terrain to support it. 6mm or 15mm can be supported with terrain here and I know there will be a few players. I can't speak for other clubs... either way, pop along one night when we are playing... it'll be great to welcome another comrade to the fold.
Flames Of War: Soviets
Team Yankee (6mm and 15mm): Soviets
Bolt Action: Soviets
DUST: SSU aka Soviets (anyone spotted the theme yet?)
Star Wars Armada: Imperials (Space Soviets, a long, long time ago)
Epic Armageddon: Imperials (Space Soviets, in the grim, far future)
Frostgrave: Dwarves (Short Soviets)
Jamrowski
Committee Member
Flag: Christmas Island

Postby Jamrowski » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:38 am

Lt_Hedgehog wrote:So I hear from Brighton warlords Battle front have an ambition to do a Cold War Gone Hot expansion.
Hmmmm.

15 & 20mm scale soviets...bugger, which one to go for....

Now I Have been advised by the proprietor of BIG,
(I forget his name.)
To go for 20mm Soviets as this scale has a wider appeal/availability regarding scenery as it matches with 1/72 scale which is also a close match for OO scale (1/76) railway

And it seems with Battlefront who seem to do the best deals with 3 x T-55s for ~£40 have an issue with getting supplies to the stores, and I'm a bit reluctant to buy online...

What do you guys think?

I suspect 'Jim' is the name your were looking for :-)
20mm is sound advice, but as Stu pointed out, there's unlikely to be too many takers in Central Bristol currently....
There's a 15mm WW2 community (Flames) at the Duke slowly getting into Modern 15mm....

Model wise, Battlefront stuff (assuming your are tempted by 15mm) is available via B.I.G. (They are always happy to order in what they don't have in the shelf). Zvezda have a limited range of 15mm modern plastics and QRF make a huge range of modern white metal mini's; obviously, BF will be releasing mini's to support any future release.

The other option as mentioned is 6mm (relatively low cost with a great range of models via GHQ <and Skytrex I think>) using Flames rules :D
Team Yankee: US / Soviet Armour
Flames of War: EW British Armour / LW US Armour
DUST Tactics: Allied / USMC
Lt_Hedgehog
Flag: St Kitts-Nevis

Postby Lt_Hedgehog » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:09 am

Indeed, I have been looking at Khurasan Miniatures 15mm T-62 with BMP-1s (mid 70s onwards) or BTR-60/70s (Primarily I'm after late 60s onwards) But Mr Khurasan has shut up shop while he catches up on backorders.

6mm has appeal £38 gets you a company sized force. (Salute anyone? :) )
Forces in work:
15mm BAOR Squadron / Company size - Team Yankee / Sabre Squadron

Current playable (Painted):
6mm West Germans / Bundeswehr: Battalion sized-ish - Team Yankee / Sabre Squadron
X Wing (Rebels & Imperial, No Scum)

Return to “Historical”