Hail Caesar

Moderator: Jamrowski

ThisCharmingDan
Flag: Bhutan

Hail Caesar

Postby ThisCharmingDan » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:03 pm

Does anybody here play Hail Caesar? I was tempted to get the Conquest of Gaul starter set (or at least ask for it for my birthday) but was wondering if there is anybody who I could play it against and if its a good game?
markcrew162
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Hail Caesar

Postby markcrew162 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:44 pm

Hi, I have hail Caesar, and have built 2 army's from the conquest of Gaul starter set Just got to do some rebasing on both army's.

Never played the game, but from what I read you do need a large table, Can not remember the size, but did put me off a bit.
You can get away with a smaller table by going Cm rather than inches. Game wise it feels like it could be a great game.

There is another historical game you could look at, and it is Clash of empires, which uses standard table sizes, 6x4. And has army lists within the book and with the expansions. Great escape games publishes, Clash of empires. Would be great to one day play both games. Going to be a while for me seeing at the moment I am just finishing off the wild west exodus starter set.

I hope I have helped a little. Some of the guys at lincombe barn would of played the game, so asked some of them, they are a very friendly bunch and will give you the help and advice needed.
Games to be played and have played. Bushido, all quiet on the martian front. flames of war late. Judge dread, x wing, battle tech,fantasy battle 40k, epic. destopian wars, dread fleet hell dorado, relics, bolt action, dust tactics.
ThisCharmingDan

Postby ThisCharmingDan » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:18 am

Cool, thanks for the advice. I've been looking at that same Hail Caesar starter set.
I've never heard of Lincombe Barn either so thanks for that as well, after a little googleing I might contact them and see if anybody would fancy a game
CH1LLYD0GG
Flag: Falkland Islands

Postby CH1LLYD0GG » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:59 pm

I too have this game and a bunch of minis that are still on the sprue
Cider I up Landlord
ThisCharmingDan

Postby ThisCharmingDan » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:27 am

They look like they would be fun to paint. I suggest that you get them ready Ch1llyd0gg and I'll give you a game some time
Badrott

Postby Badrott » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:38 am

Another thing that may interest you is Kings of War - Ok, so its a fantasy game - but its based on a historical wargame in terms of the way it plays and puts the emphasis on tabletop tactics as opposed to building power lists.

Additionally, a book with army lists for a variety of historical armies is coming out in the new year, with everything from Ancients up to when black powder became prevalent.

So, if you fancy using a Roman Legion to take on other historical armies or want to fight Undead, Goblins or Elves you'll be able to - and there are a whole bunch of us playing this at BIG regularly.
Kings of War UK number one ranked Orc general.

2016 Bristol Vanguard Dreadball League Champions - Da Pirates (Orcs+Goblins)
ThisCharmingDan

Postby ThisCharmingDan » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:44 am

Thanks, I didn't realise that Kings of War had a historical sub game coming out. I'll take a look
Badrott

Postby Badrott » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:11 pm

Alessio Cavatore was talking about it on a podcast. I'm looking forward to fighting Romans with Orcs.
Kings of War UK number one ranked Orc general.

2016 Bristol Vanguard Dreadball League Champions - Da Pirates (Orcs+Goblins)
Hung
Flag: Hungary

Postby Hung » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:40 pm

I've liked the look of Hail Caesar for a while (any ancient rulesets for that matter) and would be keen if this was to catch on . I'm just hesistant on jumping in on something like this then never playing a game as has happened before plus recently I've been loving SAGA a lot and have got my latest warband to finish .
JWall
Flag: Great Britain

Postby JWall » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:52 pm

The good thing with saga is that you can pretty much use whatever army you pick for multiple systems. From SAGA to Deus vault, then to Kings of war, and because it fits the time periods, Hail ceaser. I'm working to getting into SAGA. We have a good amount of interest at BIG.

But the best way to get people interested is to play it and let others see it. Then they get interested and buy in. If you are able to play at BIG one Thursday or even at the 1 year of BIG event. That will defo get interest and I wouldn't mind seeing it played :)
James (Mr Bolt Action and king of Birthday Spam)!! :D

Games I wage war in:
Bolt Action - British Paratroopers
Saga - Normans/Milities christi
Board Games - I have backed many via kickstarter and am dieing to play them

"War is always the answer to finding your lost pen..." - JWall

Return to “Historical”