vanquish = awesome

Moderator: Syneri

jasonT

vanquish = awesome

Postby jasonT » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:23 pm

praise and thanks to all involved in every aspect of putting on another great vanquish.
i had a great time. :D
#jtuvminis on twitter
Captain Taelos
Committee Member
Flag: Great Britain

Re: vanquish = awesome

Postby Captain Taelos » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:40 pm

Glad you enjoyed it Jason! It seemed to go pretty smoothly in the end.
skindog

Postby skindog » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:58 pm

It was great fun! So much fun Jason decided to double post this thread XD

I had a fantastic weekend with 5 amazing losses XD
CaptainJay

Postby CaptainJay » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:47 pm

How much did you miss the wooden spoon by?
Jay

Postby Jay » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:56 pm

Right now, I don't know if it's sleep deprivation or enthusiasm overload, but I think I might have contracted the gaming bug again....

Great weekend and congrats to the skeleton staff for coping with 100 odd people.
CaptainJay

Postby CaptainJay » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:45 pm

Jay wrote:Right now, I don't know if it's sleep deprivation or enthusiasm overload, but I think I might have contracted the gaming bug again....

Great weekend and congrats to the skeleton staff for coping with 100 odd people.

Don't worry I'll kill it for you :-P game next week?
Jay

Postby Jay » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:53 pm

I may have caught the bug for 40K but I'm not sure if I'm ready yet for 3 hours that could lead to a terminal illness..... ;)

I do wanna play you OJ, and I want you to be on your top form, but let me walk before I sprint! I'm off to Throne Of Skulls in May and looking to take 4 Knights. However I also need to assemble and paint said 4 Knights... in 6 weeks. So how about a couple of weeks so you're at least playing against partially assembled upright models??
CaptainJay

Postby CaptainJay » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:22 pm

Jay wrote:

I may have caught the bug for 40K but I'm not sure if I'm ready yet for 3 hours that could lead to a terminal illness..... ;)

I do wanna play you OJ, and I want you to be on your top form, but let me walk before I sprint! I'm off to Throne Of Skulls in May and looking to take 4 Knights. However I also need to assemble and paint said 4 Knights... in 6 weeks. So how about a couple of weeks so you're at least playing against partially assembled upright models??

Heh, no problem. I'm attending ASMOH in May where I was planning on running a flying circus (which would be a hard but boring counter for the knights) alternatively could run vanquish lists of or something similar if you wanted something more "normal". It was good to see you at vanquish, I've missed that chirpy demeanor (and the painting advice).
Kaseliegth
Flag: Christmas Island

Postby Kaseliegth » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:08 am

Yeah had a great time. Played 5 great players.

In total the blue wraith army of doom got 4 massacres and 1 minor loss.

Really need to get them painted to get those soft scores up and I would of been top 10.

In total I only lost 2300 points of troops over the 5 games and scored at least 1200 points each game.

So back to the painting table for next year. I might also try and get more than three 40k games in before the next one.

Thanks to all those who put a lot of effort in to make it run smoothly and a great weekend
Never underestimate a cornered night goblin.

Winner of the last ever game of 7th edition Dark Elves vs Dark Elves against New Ross (Rossi)

The Tomb Kings are on the march again !!! Oh.....Wait.....Maybe Not !!!
Aborted

Postby Aborted » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:41 am

Vanquish was good but there was a lot of rush un painted armies.

The quality was there on previous years, hard to say.

The atmosphere was down on last year.
Monk
Committee Member
Flag: Germany

Postby Monk » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:11 pm

Aborted wrote:Vanquish was good but there was a lot of rush un painted armies.

The quality was there on previous years, hard to say.

The atmosphere was down on last year.

I strongly disagree. Atmospher was just as good and there were less unpainted armies than last year.
My Painting - Http://thepaintingmonkey.wordpress.com
My Ramblings - https://twitter.com/MunkeyKungFu

Games currently playing
X-Wing| Board games Galore| Guild Ball | Warhammer Conquest | Game of Thrones LCG
Josh
Committee Member

Postby Josh » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:42 pm

Was going to say, our soft scores make up a large proportion of overall points. Not sure what more we could do short of painting peoples armies for them.
Aborted

Postby Aborted » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:05 pm

The atmosphere was good, good is okay.

Think if barley painted armies aloud I'll bring my plastic grey tau.
Monk
Committee Member

Postby Monk » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:28 pm

Dave they are aloud but they lose out on a lot of points.

how many vanquish events did you play with a part painted black templars army?

Not everyone can paint for time/ medical or can afford to pay someone to do it for them

Games currently playing
X-Wing| Board games Galore| Guild Ball | Warhammer Conquest | Game of Thrones LCG
Dave Fraser
Flag: Micronesia

Postby Dave Fraser » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:45 pm

Josh wrote:Was going to say, our soft scores make up a large proportion of overall points. Not sure what more we could do short of painting peoples armies for them.

Beat them with a stick.

But short of doing that there isn't very much that you can do about it barring outright banning unpainted (or painted below a given defined standard) and you're still left with the issue of having people bring armies that look utter junk but do comply with the minimium standard eg spray black, pick out bolter in metal and add a blob of colour to shoulderpad, it achieves 3 colour min but still looks like an undercoated model with no effort put into it.

The medical thing I accept but I'd rather it be applied by exception rather than meaning you allow unpainted armies from all. It gives people a loophole to not bother and as much as we're all wonderful hobbiests when it comes to larger volume of figure games it all to often means people simply can't be bothered to put in the effort. Time I find an irritating excuse, sure if you're chasing the latest and greatest build time might be an issue but in most instances people can put a painted army on the table in a reasonable length of time if they just put the effort in and that's not the limiting factor, it's the desire to put the hardest thing on the table that leads to a lot of the less pleasant looking armies around (sweeping generalisation I know).

Not being at the event are there any pictures of the good looking armies that were there, as I'd always rather focus on that than the poorer end. It's simply human nature that some do go all in for the hobby and others who don't and focus on the gaming, not much you can do about it. Seeing a load of the pics which appeared on social media from adepticon over the weekend shows how they appear to have managed to drive a real focus on 'wow' projects as a rule but with a hall of 500+ gamers for the team event bet there were some shockers present, just nobody posts them on the internet.
rossatdi
Flag: Tokelau

Postby rossatdi » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:47 pm

Had a great event (not in terms of victories sadly!). 5 great games against great people.

I made a real effort on the soft scores and secret missions this year which got a good placement (20th) with only 2 wins.
bluffreggie

Postby bluffreggie » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:15 pm

No atmosphere and many unpainted armies?

Where you at vanquish?
Kaseliegth
Flag: Christmas Island

Postby Kaseliegth » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:31 pm

Atmosphere was good I thought. Yeah there were a couple of unpainted armies but it was only 2-3. I don't think I saw any more than that. I can't say much as my army is just blue. But it kicked ass all weekend which was nice and a great massive victory to end up on beating Jay's Tau army to end the weekend was fantastic.
Plus taking the piss out of OJ for the weekend was a side highlight. He even thought I had won the event even for a split second. Wish I had taken a picture of his face at that brief time for all to see.

Good event I'll be back for sure next year.
Never underestimate a cornered night goblin.

Winner of the last ever game of 7th edition Dark Elves vs Dark Elves against New Ross (Rossi)

The Tomb Kings are on the march again !!! Oh.....Wait.....Maybe Not !!!
Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:52 pm

5 great games, nail biting finish where I managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory...

Atmosphere seemed great, I don't see a need to grumble about a few unpainted units. The sensible soft scores discourage it and draconian rules simply don't work, it's easy enough to have a 'three colour army' that looks totally S***, a problem that used to plague GWs GTs backin the day as they had exactly that kind of 'spray + sploge' armies turning up and claiming the sploge was a squad marking for bonus points...
Lock S foils! Accelerate to attack speed!
Dragontree

Postby Dragontree » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:03 pm

This was my first attendance and I knew precisely know one barring one excellent chap vaguely and I found everyone incredibly friendly and helpful with all my opponents good laughs with the right spirit in their game. These games were my 9th through to 13th games of 40k since the mid 90's and I had smashing fun.

I was also blown away by most of the painting and also only saw a few unpainted armies.

Unfortunately I had to leave before the rankings were up so looking forward to seeing my position!

Thanks to all involved and all my opponents (except barracuda).
Monk
Committee Member

Postby Monk » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:21 pm

Dragontree wrote:This was my first attendance and I knew precisely know one barring one excellent chap vaguely and I found everyone incredibly friendly and helpful with all my opponents good laughs with the right spirit in their game. These games were my 9th through to 13th games of 40k since the mid 90's and I had smashing fun.

I was also blown away by most of the painting and also only saw a few unpainted armies.

Unfortunately I had to leave before the rankings were up so looking forward to seeing my position!

Thanks to all involved and all my opponents (except barracuda).

Glad you had fun :D especially given how new to it all you were

Games currently playing
Munkey

Postby Munkey » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:29 pm

I think any decline in atmosphere was probably due to the tattoo'd dude not playing with Orks. He was loud enough for everyone :D

Aborted, I'm guessing you've attended previous Vanquishes, what made the event less atmospheric his year compared to previous? I was only there for an hour or so but everyone seemed to be having a cracking time.
Yay! I'm good with Skavens again :lol:

"F*** you Nibbles" "I thought I was going to get Best in Race...then I saw your name on the list and all hope vanished"
Jay

Postby Jay » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:29 pm

I would also like to say thank you to all the people who allowed Gollum to photobomb their games for a few moments, and massive thanks to those who assisted in some of the awesome and outrageously funny shots! Paul McCabe is a legend as you will all soon see! I got to see the pics last night and some had me laughing out loud!

Gollum will be starting his public blog next week...
Monk
Committee Member

Postby Monk » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:31 pm

Munkey wrote:I think any decline in atmosphere was probably due to the tattoo'd dude not playing with Orks. He was loud enough for everyone :D

Aborted, I'm guessing you've attended previous Vanquishes, what made the event less atmospheric his year compared to previous? I was only there for an hour or so but everyone seemed to be having a cracking time.

He was there day one. But after his final game on day 1 he decided he would rather get hammered lol. Which was a shame as he was sat on the top table.

Games currently playing
Nekhromosis
Committee Member

Postby Nekhromosis » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:54 pm

A note on the model scores. hate the term soft scores as it implies weakness and these scores are anything but in the grand scheme of the over all results.

There were three criteria that first need to be met in order to pick up any model scores at all. 1. That all models had to be fully built 2. That all models that come with a base, needed to be based 3. That all models needed to be wholly painted, excluding the base coat. Not meeting all of these meant you lost out on 12 tournament points, which are crucial if you're innit to winnit.

Three players had units/armies still in plain plastic or undercoated. One other had partially built vehicles and another had no bases on his skimmers. All still attended and played despite knowing that they would most likely lose a lot of points. Vanquish isn't just run for the competitive types but it's also run for those who just like to play games or who are rarely able to indulge in the hobby.

Once the 3 basic criteria has been met, then armies can pick up those 12 points found within 5 categories: WYSIWYG, painting, bases, continuity and variety. WYSIWYG offers 4 whole points and concentrates on armies adhering to the fundamental modelling efforts of unit/weapon representation. The others awarded 2TPs each. painting awards armies that hove gone beyond the minimum required level of flat colours, Bases award beyond the level of a plain base throughout the army, continuity aims at a unified look as opposed to all manner of paint jobs thrown together and variety awards the those that leave duplicating good units aside.

Over the years we have had to tweak these rules appropriately aiming for just the right balance, not being too harsh or too lenient. Opting for point loses as a way to encourage model standards (of effort over talent) is a far better way to address such things than exclusion of models altogether. It's hard enough making the decision that players failed to pick up certain points for not having an appropriate model or the correct base let alone telling them they can't use a model. We allow them to use their models but there may well be a price for that which will most certainly prevent them from winner any awards. Certainly, when the results go up by the end of this week on the website (along with photos) you will see how losing model scores impacted on results.

Also, the inclusion of not one but three best army trophies will no doubt up the standards even more. Not sure how many other events have had over 20 best army entrants!
"That is not dead which can eternal lie And with strange aeons even death may die."
Captain Taelos
Committee Member

Postby Captain Taelos » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:58 pm

Can't say I noticed a decline in atmosphere. In fact more people than normal approached me afterwards to say how much they enjoyed it. And whilst I saw one unpainted army, I thought overall the painting standard was pretty high!
Munkey

Postby Munkey » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:15 pm

There were some beautifully painted armies on display and some really fun themes. My favourite was the horde of genestealers bearing down on a traitor guard outpost. Way cool.

With regard awards, have you considered a "Best General" or "Slaughterer" type award for VPs or kills etc? Although I really like that Vanquish is about the hobby as a whole.
Yay! I'm good with Skavens again :lol:

"F*** you Nibbles" "I thought I was going to get Best in Race...then I saw your name on the list and all hope vanished"
Crimson Dom

Postby Crimson Dom » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:04 pm

I thought the whole event was brilliant. I had 5 amazing games with 3 wins and 2 losses. The atmosphere was great, as usual, and I didn't spot any unpainted/partially assembled armies.

I like the whole 'points mean prizes' with the painting scores, as it means I really make an effort to get an army painted and to the required standard!
jasonT

Postby jasonT » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:58 pm

this is what makes vanquish so good. it encompasses the whole of the hooby. gaming , painting and modeling.
no grey plastic netlist will ever win this event. a vanguard winner is a worthy champion with the tools and ability to
do all aspects of the hobby well. sprinkle in some dice luck and take home the trophy.
nice to see three places for best army. puts the hobby on equal footing to the smashing.
#jtuvminis on twitter
Matt

Postby Matt » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:25 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to attend Vanquish.

A huge thanks to the dedicated team for making it happen.

My apologies to anyone who was outraged by my unpainted Space Marine Army. I did consider dropping out when it was clear that I wouldn't be able to schedule enough painting before the weekend of Vanquish.

One of the reasons that I'm still interested in 40K after twenty five years is due to the welcome and encouragement by the overwhelming majority of BV members.

I think that Paul's summary about the effect on TPs for armies that do not fulfil the minimum painting standards says it all. The severe loss of TPs for not having a properly painted army is enough to stop even the most competitive gamer from winning a prize (other than the wooden spoon). Clearly the best army awards are also out of reach. For someone new to the hobby, or the less experienced enthusiast, Vanquish offers an excellent opportunity to get inspiration and knowledge from capable hobbyists.

I doubt I will ever have the skill that some of you clearly have with the brush but the standard has certainly given me the encouragement to do better for 2015.
"To search for answers is to beat a path to damnation."

Thanks Google!

Return to “Events Archive”