Dreadball League 2016 Fixtures and Results

Maahes
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Dreadball League 2016 Fixtures and Results

Postby Maahes » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:18 pm

So the Eagles (Nameless) v Shell Shockers (Teratons) ended after only 2 drives a piece after blood on the pitch from two Teraton jacks caused the entire remaining Teraton defensive line to fall at the feet of Za'ertz (A nameless sticky guard) who proceeded to smoother them in tenticles to ensure they couldn't get up.

Leaving 2 jacks and a lone guard to face off against the remaining 5 nameless players.

After watching the carnage the teratons threw in the towel.

Result
Nameless / Teraton
Score 7 / 0
Cheers 6 / 0
No of kills 2 / 0
New Team Ratings 189 / ?
ThreeCubed

Postby ThreeCubed » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:54 pm

Alright. Great games everyone.

Game 5 it is then!

Then we gotta break. Lets get some practice in. I know I need it! :lol:
'Eat my goal!!'

Games: Dreadball; Attack Wing; lots of boardgames; RPG - PbtA, FATE, & Savage Worlds

BGG Profile: http://boardgamegeek.com/user/ThreeCubed
Azzabat
Flag: Canada

Postby Azzabat » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:08 am

I knew it was a quick game but sheeeet ... 2 rush's and you have to conceed because you can't roll any dice to stand up or move. I feel your pain Gir as that's exactly what happened to me against the Nameless.

I honestly thought the Terratons would be the team to give Nameless a run for their money.
I know the voices aren't real ... but they have such FASCINATING ideas!

C J = )
Jamrowski
Committee Member
Flag: Christmas Island

Postby Jamrowski » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:55 pm

So, the question now is:

Is 'throwing in the towel' / conceding to an opponent allowed? (Maybe a great tactic to save upgraded / expensive MVP's when facing Nameless).

Not in the spirit of the league I'm sure....but, better to lose the battle and win the war?
Team Yankee: US / Soviet Armour
Flames of War: EW British Armour / LW US Armour
DUST Tactics: Allied / USMC
Gir One Eye
Flag: Wales

Postby Gir One Eye » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:26 pm

Well the main reason I surrendered was because there wasn't ANY hope of me scoring at all at that point and the game was *so* overwhelmingly one sided I doubt it would of lasted more than 2 more rushes longer.
If I had the slightest glimmer of hope to score/draw/win I'm sure the Shell Shockers would of valiently carried on, but the game truely was decided by rush 4 in this case.
ThreeCubed

Postby ThreeCubed » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:37 pm

Well, the game is done so we can't really retcon it.
However, I'll check to see if there are any rules about throwing in the towel.
Totally understandable though, Gir.
'Eat my goal!!'

Games: Dreadball; Attack Wing; lots of boardgames; RPG - PbtA, FATE, & Savage Worlds

Azzabat

Postby Azzabat » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:58 pm

There is the existing rule where if you have no players on the pitch able to score you automatically forfeit the game. I think that should include those ON the pitch, but unable to move/score.

I.E. if you only had 2 models on the board who could possibly score, but they were both tied up with zero dice and therefore no chance of moving/standing up/evading/scoring, that should count as "having no models able to score"

As far as I know it's only ever going to happen when you face Nameless teams as they are the only team that can reduce you to zero dice. Every other team allows you at least 1 dice.

C J . . . = )

C J = )
Jamrowski
Committee Member

Postby Jamrowski » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:26 pm

Azzabat wrote:.
There is the existing rule where if you have no players on the pitch able to score you automatically forfeit the game.

As far as I know it's only ever going to happen when you face Nameless teams as they are the only team that can reduce you to zero dice. Every other team allows you at least 1 dice.

C J . . . = )

So, do we need to 'comp' Nameless to always allow 1 dice? (Or is that a 'harsh' penalty on Nameless and / or are we taking things far too seriously?).

Still interested in any 'throwing of towel rule' (probably would have saved CJ's team <and possibly mine in future; hell - I'm going to bring a beach, bath and hand towel and throw them all at once*>) and have the Nameless been robbed of an increased kill tally in the process of towel throwing?

*does anyone know if a flannel counts as a towel? (Granted, a very small towel) :D
Badrott

Postby Badrott » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:00 pm

Jamrowski wrote:
Azzabat wrote:.
There is the existing rule where if you have no players on the pitch able to score you automatically forfeit the game.

C J . . . = )

So, do we need to 'comp' Nameless to always allow 1 dice? (Or is that a 'harsh' penalty on Nameless and / or are we taking things far too seriously?).

Still interested in any 'throwing of towel rule' (probably would have saved CJ's team <and possibly mine in future; hell - I'm going to bring a beach, bath and hand towel and throw them all at once*>) and have the Nameless been robbed of an increased kill tally in the process of towel throwing?

*does anyone know if a flannel counts as a towel? (Granted, a very small towel) :D

You can spend your turns taking players off the pitch and putting nobody on to replace them.
Kings of War UK number one ranked Orc general.

2016 Bristol Vanguard Dreadball League Champions - Da Pirates (Orcs+Goblins)
Azzabat

Postby Azzabat » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:17 pm

If you take players off and not replace them it makes it easier for the opposition to gang up and kill you. You also run the risk of having no strikers and/or Jacks on the table, and therefore being unable to score and create an automatic forfeit.

Comping any team requires a LOT of forethought and the Nameless would be no exception. A lot of people I've 'spoken to' on other forums have the same, almost unanimous view that Nameless are broken, but no-one has come up with any suitable solutions.

I've only played against them a handful of times (with different people each time), and every time I have I've been seriously mauled without being able to dish out any damage, even with my Orcs.

It's not just Nameless that need tweaking in my opinion. Terratons and their teleporting needs a look at, (and I speak as a player who has a Terraton team.) and there are probably some other people can think of.

C J = )
Jamrowski
Committee Member

Postby Jamrowski » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:22 pm

.....but let's get to the real point; is a flannel technically a small towel or not? (I can think of Beach, Bath, Hand and Sanitary <technically all towels and eminently throwable>) :lol:
ThreeCubed

Postby ThreeCubed » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:29 pm

OK, I'm on this and trying to deal with it. A ruling will be made. Just bear with me while I sort through it all.
It would be nice if Mantic made something updatable which was the current rules - rather than having to go through a ton of books which are mostly fluff. Is this normal for wargame stuff? Seems like a stupid way to do things, if I'm honest.

One rulebook to rule them all!!!! That's what I say. :lol:
'Eat my goal!!'

Azzabat

Postby Azzabat » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:50 am

Jamrowski wrote:.....but let's get to the real point; is a flannel technically a small towel or not? (I can think of Beach, Bath, Hand and Sanitary <technically all towels and eminently throwable>) :lol:

Beach, bath and hand towels I would say yes, are all towels, but what sort of maniac is going to be flinging the latter about?

Just ... Ewwww!! :shock:

C J

C J = )
Jamrowski
Committee Member

Postby Jamrowski » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:25 am

Azzabat wrote:
Jamrowski wrote:.....but let's get to the real point; is a flannel technically a small towel or not? (I can think of Beach, Bath, Hand and Sanitary <technically all towels and eminently throwable>) :lol:

Beach, bath and hand towels I would say yes, are all towels, but what sort of maniac is going to be flinging the latter about?

Just ... Ewwww!! :shock:

C J

.......but what about the flannel? (And are there any bonus points for throwing a 'tea' towel?)
ThreeCubed

Postby ThreeCubed » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:24 pm

Hey all.

Ok, so I get this is a tricky issue, but I can't change loads of stuff halfway through a league. I don't want to start changing rules for certain teams. The rules are as set, and hopefully Mantic will address some of this in the future (they probably won't). ;)

However, I have looked into it a little and am gonna make a ruling about throwing in the towel.

If you choose to concede, it it allowed - but, your opponent will gain a landslide victory and you will take NO mc from that match (neither the 6mc or the loosing die roll's worth). This is because sponsors will just not support teams (monetarily) that don't play full games. That may sound like fluff - but it's what the gaining of MC is based on. Otherwise all non-bashy teams will run from games against bashy teams for fear of loosing their best players. There can be no money without risk of loosing players - violence is part of Dreadball.

I hope this is ok with everyone. It's a hard call, but a decision has to be made.

I will say, however, that there is nothing to stop you just running your team off the pitch in the first couple of rushes, and just not playing your actions for the remaining rushes. That is totally legal. Don't put your best player on.
As for the rule about 'having no legal scorers on the pitch', that is only under the 'Sudden Death' mechanic, which is just in tournament play. To be honest, I think that a downed Striker/Jack with no way of standing up would still count as a legal scorer - as the guard may end up moving and freeing them up.
'Eat my goal!!'

ThreeCubed

Postby ThreeCubed » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:28 pm

Game 5: Rats Vs Gobs

It was a game of give and take, of back and forth, when the Mall Rats met up with the City Hobgoblins. The Mall Rats were confident on their home turf and sped around the pitch as a team who know every bump and cranny of the land. The Jacks and Hulks of the Gob's were in a bad mood, and baying for some blood. The sneak Rats nipped in for continual 1 pointers as the Hulks took their turns swinging wildly at their opponents. Except for one casualty early on, the Rats were able to keep dodging the smashing arms of their larger opponents - which looked, at times, like Dark Souls boss fights.
Although it was a back and forth game, with the Hob's scoring a 3 pointer and nearly pulling the game back, the crowd were lacklustre. They were obviously just not feeling it. Both coaches came away happy with their teams performance. I'm sure the Rat Guard that took out a hulk for 2 turns will be telling that story for years.

Result:
Home/Away: Mall Rats / City Hobgoblins
Score: 1 / 0
Cheers: 3 / 2
No of kills: 0 / 1
New Team Ratings: 166 / 171
'Eat my goal!!'

Azzabat

Postby Azzabat » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:21 pm

ThreeCubed wrote:Alright. Great games everyone.

Game 5 it is then!

Then we gotta break. Lets get some practice in. I know I need it! :lol:

Gir,

Let me know when you're free and I'll bring my remaining 4 Orcs along for our game.

@Threecubed, what Underdog rules are we using as my team rating is 120 lower than Gir's (62 vs 182)

C J = )
ThreeCubed

Postby ThreeCubed » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:31 pm

So, we are using the ones Liam came up with for the League. They are here. http://bristolvanguardforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1048
The only difference is that the cost of MVP's for underdogs is the same as for the league. (doubled the base cost + 2d6)
Oh, and cheerleaders will only be 5mc - as it is with the league.

I actually forgot to use them myself, and just went with free agents.

There are new free agent tables on the Star Realms League Rules Pack (on the back page) http://www.manticgames.com/SiteData/Root/File/Organised%20Play/DB-leaguerulespack-web-02.pdf

Free agents are from across the whole of the teams now, and you will need to roll there. But I put a post further up with some helpful printouts for knowing the new teams. It said:

"I have made a small sheet with all the team stats for all the teams in the season 2-4 rulebook to make life easier. It can be found here. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10298196/Dreadball%20team%20stats.pdf
I will update it in the future so that it has the complete seasons 1-5 on it.

You can also get yourself a copy of the new, complete abilities list too. It's super helpful.
Here it is: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10298196/Dreadball%20Abilities%20List%20copy.pdf"

So use those to run your team with a lot of free agents - it will give you their stats and explain their abilities.. As you have so many (should you want to field a team of free agents) I have no problem with you rolling it up a home so you can get a feel for what they all do - if you want to, that is.

You can make up the whole amount with whatever you like. Remember, you only get what you buy with your underdog amount temporarily - for that one game. Free agents do not gain xp and do not count towards your team ranking.

At the end of the game you will gain extra cash. It is a d6 per every 10mc you are underdog, but with a hard cap of 3 die. So, after your game, roll an extra 3d6 for income on top of the normal 6mc and whatever you roll for the result (1d6 for loss and 2d6 for win).

I hope that helps.
Last edited by ThreeCubed on Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
'Eat my goal!!'

Azzabat

Postby Azzabat » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:03 am

ThreeCubed wrote:So, after your game, roll an extra 3d6 for income on top of the normal 6mc and whatever you roll for the result (1d6 for loss and 2d6 for win).

LoL ... 2D6 for a win. I have 5 players in my team, none with any experience, and one is crippled. Still ... I like your optimism.

So ... 120MC difference means 5 coaching dice and 9 Free Agents for me. :D

C J = )
ThreeCubed

Postby ThreeCubed » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:05 am

Lol. You never know. Having free agents definitely tipped the game for me. I gained a 4+ striker that won me the game.

Good luck!

Oh, and cheerleaders are only 5mc - as per league rules. I've just added that too. I probably should just type out the whole new underdog thing a fresh, really.
'Eat my goal!!'

Badrott

Postby Badrott » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:44 pm

I'll just leave this here...

Home/Away: Philaname Eagles / Da Pirates
Score: 0 / 1
Cheers: ? / 7
No of kills: 3 / 1
New Team Ratings: ??? / 214

For most of the game the ball was left to bounce around the pitch whilst the Orcs and Nameless guards hit seven shades out of each other. The Orcs were able to take out the Nameless sticky guards to reduce the effectiveness of the hard guards, but that didnt stop the Eagles striker getting a 2 point strike quite late in to proceedings.

The nameless were unable to add to their lead and, in the final rush, Pirates jack, the one and only Ominous Ozzy came off the bench, used god knows how many free actions, offensive coach actions and a card to score a 3 pointer to reverse the score in favour of the Pirates.

Badrott

Postby Badrott » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:57 pm

Also-

The league table says im on 5 cheers

I scored 2 in game 1
I got 4 in game 2
A whopping 12 in my 3rd game
5 in game 4
plus another 7 tonight

This adds up to 30 if I am not wrong?

ThreeCubed

Postby ThreeCubed » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:25 pm

Sorry, I will change that. I must have accidentally typed 5 instead of adding 5 after last game.

Hopefully everyone else is getting on with game 5. Only a few days left...
'Eat my goal!!'

Jamrowski
Committee Member

Postby Jamrowski » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:10 am

Badrott wrote:Also-

I scored 2 in game 1
I got 4 in game 2
5 in game 4
plus another 7 tonight

No - I've double checked the arithmetic; it's definitely 5 (if we are happy to round up to the nearest whole figure :lol: )
Badrott

Postby Badrott » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:15 am

Jamrowski wrote:

I scored 2 in game 1
I got 4 in game 2
5 in game 4
plus another 7 tonight

No - I've double checked the arithmetic; it's definitely 5 (if we are happy to round up to the nearest whole figure :lol: )

Muppet

Jamrowski
Committee Member

Postby Jamrowski » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:08 pm

Badrott wrote:
Jamrowski wrote:

I scored 2 in game 1
I got 4 in game 2
5 in game 4
plus another 7 tonight

Muppet

Sorry.......Canadian Calculator!
pagan-gerbil

Postby pagan-gerbil » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:06 pm

Home/Away: Sindarin Superiority / Costa Coffee Corp
Score: 0 / 1
Cheers: 5 / 8
No of kills: 0 / 0
New Team Ratings: 179 / ???

The Sindarin team invited the coffee boys over to their luxury stadium to try and dazzle them, with the help of a trio of ringers (Asterian Jack, Guard and a Teraton Jack) but it was to no avail. Despite all new dice, the coffee corp ran rings around them and put up a strong defence. The Sindarin team just couldn't budge the score off of the central line. Despite both sides scoring powerfully (skipping the first couple of turns where everyone fumbled), the caffeinated wonders scored 2 points to bring it down on their side as the final whistle blew.
http://www.pagan-gerbil.net
DreadBall: Everything. Necromunda: Delaques, Ratskins.
ThreeCubed

Postby ThreeCubed » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:44 am

2 weeks break everyone. Get those friendlies in!

(also, finish game 5 if you haven't - you know who you are ;) )

Orc's at the top of the table at the moment - with at least a 2 point gap. The only team that could immediately catch them up (with a level number of games) is the other Orc team. :lol: Go Season 1! Just thought I'd point that out.

Roll on the second half of the season...
'Eat my goal!!'

Badrott

Postby Badrott » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:27 pm

ThreeCubed wrote:2 weeks break everyone. Get those friendlies in!

(also, finish game 5 if you haven't - you know who you are ;) )

Orc's at the top of the table at the moment - with at least a 2 point gap. The only team that could immediately catch them up (with a level number of games) is the other Orc team. :lol: Go Season 1! Just thought I'd point that out.

Roll on the second half of the season...

Well, my next game is the Greenskin derby.

It could be all to play for if the Patriorx overcome the Terratons in their Round 5 Game.

After that I have two games left against the Shell Shockers and Mall Rats, which are games that look easy on paper, but we all know that games aren't played on paper. They are played on cardboard.

Azzabat

Postby Azzabat » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:20 pm

That saying ... Ger, we need to play our game soon my friend. I'm free every night except Wednesday.

C J = )

Return to “Dreadball League”