Rules Q&A

Monk
Committee Member
Flag: Germany

Rules Q&A

Postby Monk » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:03 am

As there were quite a few questions last night I am opening this thread so people can ask rules questions :-) fire away and I'll answer them
My Painting - Http://thepaintingmonkey.wordpress.com
My Ramblings - https://twitter.com/MunkeyKungFu

Games currently playing
X-Wing| Board games Galore| Guild Ball | Warhammer Conquest | Game of Thrones LCG
Someblokecalledtom
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Rules Q&A

Postby Someblokecalledtom » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:48 pm

Cheers Liam good idea
Merrick
Flag: Macedonia

Postby Merrick » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:12 pm

how do u dreadball
I'll be the guy holding a cider and swearing at the dice.

I also have a fine collection of wooden spoons.

Azzabat
Flag: Canada

Postby Azzabat » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:23 pm

Easy ... if you can dread a wrench ... :D
I know the voices aren't real ... but they have such FASCINATING ideas!

C J = )
Stu's Idle

Postby Stu's Idle » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:42 am

Questions I have asked you directly but others may not know:

After a game:
Loser gets 1D6 MCs
Winner gets 2D6 MCs
Future games (all after the 1st Fixture) are played with the Underdog Rule (see main rulebook).

Question I haven't asked:

The 6 MCs we all get (for TV rights etc). Do they apply after the 1st Fixture? Therefore do we get 2D6+6 MCs as the winner and 1D6+6 MCs as the loser now, before the 2nd round?
Flames Of War: Soviets
Team Yankee (6mm and 15mm): Soviets
Bolt Action: Soviets
DUST: SSU aka Soviets (anyone spotted the theme yet?)
Star Wars Armada: Imperials (Space Soviets, a long, long time ago)
Epic Armageddon: Imperials (Space Soviets, in the grim, far future)
Frostgrave: Dwarves (Short Soviets)
Monk
Committee Member

Postby Monk » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:25 am

Yes thats correct stu

Games currently playing
X-Wing| Board games Galore| Guild Ball | Warhammer Conquest | Game of Thrones LCG
Azzabat

Postby Azzabat » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:10 pm

Can we buy Coaches?

C J = )
Monk
Committee Member

Postby Monk » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:37 am

Yes

Games currently playing
pagan-gerbil

Postby pagan-gerbil » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:06 pm

Can underdog bonus be used to buy temporary coaches and cards as well as free agents and MVPs?
http://www.pagan-gerbil.net
DreadBall: Everything. Necromunda: Delaques, Ratskins.
skindog

Postby skindog » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:16 pm

No MVPs with Underdog. Don't know about the other part if the question.
Azzabat

Postby Azzabat » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:27 pm

Who gets the Wo/Man of the match? A random player from both teams or just the winning team?

C J = )
Monk
Committee Member

Postby Monk » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:30 pm

MVP is awarded to a random player on the team with the most fan checks

Games currently playing
Azzabat

Postby Azzabat » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:20 pm

Ah, ok. Cai and I did that wrong then as both of us got MVP experience. Sorry Cai, 1 less XP for you there mate. :(

C J = )
CaptainJay

Postby CaptainJay » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:28 pm

What does buying a coach do?

Also want to check my understanding of advancement, my guards earnt 3 and 4 XP meaning both of them can now roll on the guard advancement table, it says that a game value cannot be better than a 3+, does this mean if I roll strength for the guards I can't upgrade them to a 2+ Strength so would instead be able to pick from the list?

Also if I understand correctly I can sacrifice a coaching dice as well in order to allow that player to roll on the extra coaching table instead. Furthermore I suppose if I roll +1 Str/Speed/Skill (depending on the answer for 2+ Str) I would have to upgrade either speed or strength and once they're maxed out I could then choose what I wanted from the table.

I'm currently thinking the guard table seems reasonable (the only 'bad' one being does this hurt) so roll on there...

Also with buying MVPS its 2xbase price plus 2d6 cost, when is this determined? So lets say I want to buy buzzcut for 22 +2d6 and I only have 30 lets say I roll 4 on the two dice (so Buzzcut would be 30) before my next game does he stay at 30, or would I have to roll again next time I try to buy him? Do I have to be able to afford him at any price (so in this case maximum 46) before I can try to buy him?

ps. It sounds like seasons 2 & 3 potentially have better tables to roll on, is it worth buying this, or should I just borrow someone's season 2/3 before the game and just make a note of the ability I roll...
Monk
Committee Member

Postby Monk » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:42 am

Ok so in order:

1) Coach allows you to roll dice to either give a player a third action or potentially get some extra dodge dice. Rules are covered in season 2

2) You cannot go to strength 2 so you would get to choose your skill from that table. The same applies for if you roll a skill you already have.

3) Correct. The coach dice sacrifice is permenant

4) Once you roll and pay the cost he is permanently on your roster and his cost is the value you paid. You can attempt to buy him and roll, but if you roll higher then you obviously cannot take him. After the next game you can try again.
* On a side not Buzcut is one of the most broken MVPs around...

5) Season 2 Guard table is better at times, but depends on what you want. There is no advancement tables in Season 3. All 3 books are worth owning in my opinion, season 2 for tables and the extra bits. and Season 3 for Giants and cool new MVPs and teams

Games currently playing
CaptainJay

Postby CaptainJay » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:54 am

Cheers for the response Liam, I figure go for the season 1 guard table on both of them, then once they have can't feel a thing go for extra coaching (as there's no point wasting a coaching dice on something I could acquire without having to spend one).

I thought buzzcut could be amusing (and very orky), the other one that jumped out at me is number 88, who seems essentially unslammable due to 'mind like water' is there anything that can modify this (for example 'grizzled' on buzzcut) or is number 88 always going to be slamming back with equal dice on 2+? If so (given I could probably do with a striker to actually get some points) he/she seems like a good buy.
Monk
Committee Member

Postby Monk » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:06 am

Buzzcut is not an ork he is an ogre :D

Of all the MVPS you pick the only 2 that are banned from most leagues and tournaments lmfao. He got FAQ'd in season 2 but he is still pretty damned good instead of 2 plus he rolls using his opponents value. So a straight dice off unless either side uses a coaching dice.

88 is also a jack. CJ just bought slippery Joe who is a goblin striker, pretty good considering how cheap he is. Just remember if both opponents have the same MVP neither get used in the game.

Games currently playing
CaptainJay

Postby CaptainJay » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:54 am

Heh, I meant he was orky in that he's big, nasty and likes to hit things (essentially he's a warboss).

What can I say I have an eye for good characters? I thought no. 88 was a striker, did I misread that or is that changed because of the faq? In my defense Sam actually recommended I should buy Buzzcut after he thrashed me with his nameless and I proposed no. 88 as an alternative striker as I knew CJ was going for slippery Joe and wanted to do something different.

I'm thinking I should buy another guard (to make up for the one CJ killed) otherwise I suspect Cai is going to whail on me with his superior numbers.

ps. So are Buzzcut/No.88 banned in this league then?
Monk
Committee Member

Postby Monk » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:57 am

Nope he is a jack, always has. If he was a striker he would be even more broken lol. The thing with orks is that you need scoring potential from a striker. You already have a load of 3+ strength guards.

Games currently playing
CaptainJay

Postby CaptainJay » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:17 am

I did think no.88 was rather good and very cheap for a striker, so makes sense that he's a Jack. Also getting Buzzcut would be playing to my strengths, Orx like to smash people and Buzzcut is amazing at it :-P

Are there any good strikers in season 2 I can hire, or am should I resign myself to the fact I'm going to end up getting slippery joe?
skindog

Postby skindog » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:28 am

They aren't banned OJ. They are very good players but banning them would be silly, no.88 has had a nerd so he is now reasonable but being a Jack he's not as good as his stat line & ability suggest anyway, as you found with your goblins, its hard to do ANYTHING with them. Buzzcut is good for smashing face or you could look for a striker to boost your scoring potential, ot depends on which way you personally want to play the game.

I'd also recommend trying to outscore the teratons, they have no strkers remember & are very hitty, if you can afford a coach I'd consider an offensive one to help your jacks score easier.

Edit; you posted at the same time as me ;)

season 2 has nightshade & rico van dien. Nightshade is fairly cheap (8mc listed cost) M6 Sp3 Sk4. Rico is more expensive (12mc) has Sk3 Sp4 but has show off which means he rolls one less dice on strike attempts but if he scores always counts as doubling (generates a fan check)

season 3 brings in the praetorian who is listed at 11mc Sp4 Sk3 & has a safe pair of hands & can't feel a thing. He's in my opinion the best if the 3. With ASPOH he doesn't need anyone good to throw it at him, he gets 2 dice to catch even if you get zero successes on the throw, so a goblin can lob it 9 hexes & he gets 2 dice to catch minimum
Monk
Committee Member

Postby Monk » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:02 am

Not here Sam, but there are leagues where they are. Also 88 and Buzzcut are not selectable in the next tournament

Games currently playing
CaptainJay

Postby CaptainJay » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:13 am

I'll have a look a what coaches do tonight, sounds like it might be a sensible decision (plus offensive coach helps with slams?). The idea of trying to outscore my opponent doesn't sound very ork-like, definitely a fan of the face-smashing approach, the ball is a secondary concern :-P The praetorian looks pretty solid (though I suscept it may be a while before I can afford him).

Are bought MVPs allowed to gain experience/acquire extra skills?
Monk
Committee Member

Postby Monk » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:15 am

Problem is, if you can't score you can't win lol.

Offensive coaches allow you to spend 3 actions on a single player instead of 2 (Need a successful roll first)

MVPS, cannot gain XP or extra skills.

Games currently playing
Azzabat

Postby Azzabat » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:35 pm

MVPS, cannot gain XP or extra skills.[/quote]

Or in Slippery Joan's case even pick up the ball or score!

OJ I'd definitely go for Slippery Joe, as Liam said we don't get strikers and he is both cheap and useful. The only time you wouldn't be able to use him is against me and we won't be playing as often as you will against the others. Use him to score and your guards to kill.
Go for an offensive coach as well. Being able to put 3 actions on a player is very useful, especially if you like slamming. You can also try to use him defensively but just roll less dice.
An extra guard is better than an MVP as they gain experience. I revived my dead guard so now have 4, three of them with skill ups.

C J = )

Return to “Dreadball League”