24 hour epic X-Wing game

Moderator: Stu's Idle

ScaredOfCrows

24 hour epic X-Wing game

Postby ScaredOfCrows » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:12 pm

Fight for the Rebels or the Empire in an epic struggle for control of a 6' by 4' corner of the galaxy.

One game, 24 hours, multiple players. Just turn up with, or without*, your squadron and join the ongoing struggle at any time.

As part of the WAAC 24 hour gaming event, Bristol Vanguard will be running an X-Wing Miniatures Game of truly epic proportions. If you would like to get involved, just turn up with your favourite 100 point list created using normal squad building rules. As there are likely to be busy periods with many players wanting to get involved please also bring a 60 point list so we are able to get as many people involved as possible and still keep the game moving.

Huge ships
If you wish to run a Transport, please incorporate it into a 100 point list. If you wish to run a Corvette you have 130 points to play with. To help maintain game balance Corvette players may be asked to fight for the Empire.

*Never played X-Wing?
If you have never played X-Wing before and want to have a go, this is a great chance to see how it works. Just come over, say hello and you can choose one of our pre-built squadrons and jump right in. There will be many friendly and experienced players on hand to act as your wingman and help you with the rules.

It's probably going to get a bit crazy
The purpose of this game will be to have fun, demonstrate the game to new people, encourage them to try the game and, of course, raise some money for a good cause.

We will attempt to keep the game going for the full 24 so, if you have the minerals, help us out during the small hours and don't just turn up for Saturday afternoon! Keep an eye on this thread for updates and more information on the game.
Last edited by ScaredOfCrows on Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 4 times in total.
1 2 3 4 5
Monk
Committee Member
Flag: Germany

Re: 24 hour epic X-Wing game

Postby Monk » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:14 pm

Great stuff. I shall jump in during the early hours of the morning. Although it should be a 6x4
My Painting - Http://thepaintingmonkey.wordpress.com
My Ramblings - https://twitter.com/MunkeyKungFu

Games currently playing
X-Wing| Board games Galore| Guild Ball | Warhammer Conquest | Game of Thrones LCG
Cai
Flag: Great Britain

Postby Cai » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:12 pm

Might be worth imposing a strict limit of one of each named character/unique card per side? Otherwise, I can see an entire squadron of Han-Shoots-First builds. :P
Panzer Vor!
ScaredOfCrows

Postby ScaredOfCrows » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:00 am

Excellent point Cai. I was going to post some requests/guidelines for regular players in the X-Wing forum but seeing as you have brought it up I will briefly jot some of them down here.

This is a great opportunity to play with stuff that you do not usually get round to using. I would ask that regular X-Wing players take this opportunity. Let's see some Bombers, named Ties, some of those weird Interceptor pilots and crazy pimped out Y and A-Wings. I will record stats on the game, factions, pilots etc. and possibly throw in some objectives if things become stale but this will be a game you win by playing and nothing more.

Ahh the Falcon. As it is one of the most iconic ships in the game and a forgiving one to fly I would like to save it for players trying the game for the first time. A pimped out Solo will be one of the pre-made lists on offer to new players so I would ask that no one brings any form of YT-1300 build. I am making no other restrictive requests and duplicate pilots will be permitted (not in your own squad). I think we can all agree that if 10 people turn up with Wedge, for example, it will be a shame. Let's see some imagination!

TLDR:
Think outside the box when you are deciding what to bring.
Don't bring a YT-1300
1 2 3 4 5
Cai

Postby Cai » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:58 am

Oh, yeah, Sam can bring the Fett and some cronies to the party, but I can't bring Captain Shoots First? Pfft. What a load. :P

I do fully endorse bringing something a little different, though. :D I might try some weird synergistic builds with the HWK... I own the damn thing, so I will use it!!
Panzer Vor!
bluffreggie

Postby bluffreggie » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:07 am

so i cant bring any varient of millenium falcon?

Thats me out as thats all i have as well as a y wing and an x wing!
skindog

Postby skindog » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:41 am

Cai, how is being able to bring Fett a good thing? He's like the worst pilot ever, which means I might actually take him!!! XD I will bring some silly S***, how expensive can I make a fett? XD
ScaredOfCrows

Postby ScaredOfCrows » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:46 am

bluffreggie wrote:so i cant bring any varient of millenium falcon?

Only intended as a request/guideline and if anyone just has to play the Falcon or has limited ship resources, please bring it along.

You could make a badass 60pt list with an X and a Y though. A maxed out Horton will be a Corvette killer!

Edit: Removed some exclamation marks.
1 2 3 4 5
Vyper

Postby Vyper » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:36 pm

I'm definitely going to duck into the fight for a while on this one. I want to try out my Phantom and Defender!
Your local Infinity War Correspondent.
Check out my wargaming blog at http://www.lead-rising.com.
Dead Metal
Flag: Korea North

Postby Dead Metal » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:55 pm

I might use this as the debut of my "duke of dagobah" pilot I'm sure I can jam enough points onto him and wedge to make up 100
"The church is near, but the road is icy. The tavern is far away, but I shall walk carefully."
Cai

Postby Cai » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:57 pm

bluffreggie wrote:so i cant bring any varient of millenium falcon?

Aside from the big ships, I have one each of all of the rebel ships. I'm gonna bring them all with me, so I'd be more than happy to lend you a couple. :D

skindog wrote:Cai, how is being able to bring Fett a good thing? He's like the worst pilot ever, which means I might actually take him!!! XD I will bring some silly S***, how expensive can I make a fett? XD

How is the Fett a bad pilot? He's six points more than a bounty humter for six more points of PS, and an ability almost as good as Stay On Target! The only reason NOT to take him is because at 38 points I reckon he's a little tricky to squeeze in to an Imperial list...
Panzer Vor!
skindog

Postby skindog » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:01 pm

He is universally recognised as one of the least competitive pilots in the entire game, even down there with tie advanced pilots! XD its not the pilot skill or his ability its that for the same cost I can have a bounty hunter wth 6 more points of upgrades that are actually useful, his ability is mediocre at best, if you can't keep your enemy in arc with a firespray you need to use dual falcon XD

I'm bit saying he's bad & I'd use him for exactly this kind of fun mess around kind of game but he's never making it into my tournament lists

Return to “WAAC 24 Hour Gaming Event 23/24 August”