Dragon campaign wash up

Moderator: Josh

Josh
Committee Member
Flag: Great Britain

Dragon campaign wash up

Postby Josh » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:39 pm

So before we roll right into another one I bought it would be useful to reflect on what went well and what did not from the last campaign.

From my perspective:

Flanking: giving advantage overshadows class abilities that do the same (barbarian reckless attack etc).

The table of misfortune: 1-4 brutal at low levels, everything else on the chart can be ignored with 1 point of magical healing. Some middle ground would be nice.

As we cycled through characters back stories tended to be given less priority.

The dragon books were very railroady. Also other than painting her as Evill Tiamat had very little say in the campaign. Made her feel a bit flat as an end boss. Just a dmg sponge at the end.

I should have changed the book campaign more to suit the group I think. Some sections of it just didn't work.

Struggled with council sessions allot. Had information and quests to give but more could have been made of it probably.

Battlemaps. We went back and forth a bit on how to do these from narrative to online to the old trusty grid. Sometimes terrain should be more interesting than an empty room though. Obstacles, clearly marked cover (avoiding the dreaded rogue question - can I hide anyway?) perils, interactive elements (switches, traps) could spice up combat allot. Particularly for set pieces and bosses I think.

Most interesting sessions were when the party did something unexpected (or fought amongst themselves) more to encourage that sort of option would be good.

Bosses - forever having to fudge health to try and have an encounter that doesn't last 2 rounds. Doing this diminishes player achievement if you've played smart and well, but often it just felt certain classes can really drop the hammer to hard sometimes (Paladins early on, later scorcerers).
Josh
Committee Member

Re: Dragon campaign wash up

Postby Josh » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:50 pm

Oh and in part one of an adventure don't give the players a flying castle when part two has many episodes where most of the meat of he content is "on the way" to the quest location.
Dead Metal
Flag: Korea North

Postby Dead Metal » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:52 pm

Josh wrote:Flanking: giving advantage overshadows class abilities that do the same (barbarian reckless attack etc).

I may change it back to how it was in 4th ed for flanking. Flat +2 to attack rolls, and if you manage to gain actual advantage through class abilities/something cool then you can have the reroll instead. Rogue gets his +damage if he has advantage or is flanking.

Josh wrote: The table of misfortune: 1-4 brutal at low levels, everything else on the chart can be ignored with 1 point of magical healing. Some middle ground would be nice.

I'll probably only roll on this if someone hits the deck, might also make it slightly harder to get rid of stuff.

Josh wrote: The dragon books were very railroady. Also other than painting her as Evill Tiamat had very little say in the campaign. Made her feel a bit flat as an end boss. Just a dmg sponge at the end.

As far as I can tell this one is pretty much here's a map... Go, when you get out of prison. Also it seems the demon lords are fairly active.

Josh wrote: Bosses - forever having to fudge health to try and have an encounter that doesn't last 2 rounds. Doing this diminishes player achievement if you've played smart and well, but often it just felt certain classes can really drop the hammer to hard sometimes (Paladins early on, later scorcerers).

Yeah this was largely my fault, it'll probably be fine if there's not a mad overbuilt guy around.
"The church is near, but the road is icy. The tavern is far away, but I shall walk carefully."
Dead Metal
Flag: Korea North

Postby Dead Metal » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:56 pm

Also loot, could have probably done with a couple more cool bits and pieces thrown around, felt like a long time between anything dropping. I think my sorc ended up with the only thing equipped being the war wand which was bought in the 3rd last session. Could do with stuff between the rod of fish command and the deck of break the game.
"The church is near, but the road is icy. The tavern is far away, but I shall walk carefully."
Josh
Committee Member

Postby Josh » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:35 pm

Yes the book was very light on loot. Just have to be careful to avoid the world breaking items I suppose and add more +1/+2 level loot
Josh
Committee Member

Postby Josh » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:36 pm

Also no one ever had anything in heir pockets. Though there are tables in the do guide for rolling for pocket change. Maybe add the odd item from that starting trinket list to add flair.
Azzabat
Flag: Canada

Postby Azzabat » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:30 pm

The only bits I found that needed tweaking were the few occasions where there was nothing sneaky to do, but then I was the Rogue and you can't have sneaky sneaky all the time. The other was I did find Jake's character quite overpowered. It sometimes felt like "do we all need to be here, or shall we just send in Jake?" But that said I loved the way you played your character Jake, rolling dice to decide what you were gonna do, excellent.

I throughly enjoyed it, ESPECIALLY the parts where we were fighting amongst ourselves. The other bit I really loved was the maze when we were trying to figure out what the F@*k was going on. Oh ... and Chris keeping wandering off by himself and getting killed. That's never gonna get old (unlike him) :D

I think Josh did an excellent job of DM'ing, and far better than I could ever do.

C J . . = )
I know the voices aren't real ... but they have such FASCINATING ideas!

C J = )

Return to “D&D 5th - Josh's Campaign”