Bear Wars: format and fixtures

User avatar
skindog
Posts: 1749
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:02 pm
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Bear Wars: format and fixtures

Postby skindog » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:05 am

Did Dan play Jake or did I dream that? Thought I read a results page, seeing as he is in a different group to Jake not sure how its possible, man I'm now even dreaming about this!!!!
User avatar
ScaredOfCrows
Posts: 713
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:58 am

Re: Bear Wars: format and fixtures

Postby ScaredOfCrows » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:02 am

Vargas wrote:What's the plan on endor? Bluffreggie is clearly a no show, and even if he isn't he's never gonna get his games in by November 6th. Any alternatives? Win to each if his opponents with a MoV of 100 (keeping it low to mitigate the free 5 points)?


ScaredOfCrows wrote:Fantasy Flight tournament rules should be used where possible and appropriate.


From FFG tournament rules:

"Byes
Occasionally, tournaments involve an odd number of competitors, resulting in
the transfer of a competitor directly to the next round of a competition in the
absence of an assigned opponent. This is called “getting a bye.” The player who
gets a bye is determined randomly in the first round, after which point the bye
is given to the player with the fewest tournament points (in the case of identical
win-loss records, the bye is awarded to the player with the lowest Margin of
Victory
). A bye counts as a Match Win with a Margin of Victory of 150.
"

When the draw was made, Endor had a bye fixture due to the odd number of players. Bluffreggie then asked if he could join the league and I gave him the empty Endor slot. If he doesn't play we go back to the bye.

Thunderchild will also get a bye for his interplanetary game.

In the case of a bye fixture, the league and MoV points will only be awarded to players who have played all their other fixtures.
1 2 3 4 5
Vargas
Posts: 529
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:44 am
Flag: Chad

Re: Bear Wars: format and fixtures

Postby Vargas » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:34 pm

Yeah that's fair enough. Congrats on the 100%! :p
User avatar
ScaredOfCrows
Posts: 713
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:58 am

Re: Bear Wars: format and fixtures

Postby ScaredOfCrows » Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:46 pm

Only started this league 'cause I was pissed off after getting no response to a post in the 'Looking for games' thread!

The bye ending up in my conference was not the way it was supposed to go.
1 2 3 4 5
Vargas
Posts: 529
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:44 am
Flag: Chad

Re: Bear Wars: format and fixtures

Postby Vargas » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:22 pm

ScaredOfCrows wrote:Only started this league 'cause I was pissed off after getting no response to a post in the 'Looking for games' thread!


The league has been a great success in terms of widening the x-wing community. I'm already looking forward to the next one with a third faction.
User avatar
ScaredOfCrows
Posts: 713
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:58 am

Re: Bear Wars: format and fixtures

Postby ScaredOfCrows » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:58 am

Post taken from the 'Organise a League Game' thread and posed here for clarity:

Captainjay wrote:
What happens if people dont get their games played? Both parties assigned a loss ;-P


Not a loss but no League points or MoV points so effectively, yeah...

Seems harsh but hopefully everyone will have played 4-5 games by the end of the week!

Bluffreggie, though he has only played one game, has now made himself available for games on 4 occasions and will hopefully get at least two played on Thursday which isn't bad really. Thunderchild and Nightwing will also hopefully get a couple in as well.

I'll see how things are come Friday but I'd really like to call it on time and get on with the playoff games.

1st come first serve on game requests. Please use the organise league games thread to post your availability and get yo hustle on!
1 2 3 4 5
User avatar
ScaredOfCrows
Posts: 713
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:58 am

Re: Bear Wars: format and fixtures

Postby ScaredOfCrows » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:32 pm

OK. You all now have until Monday.

Last chance to grab some final games.
1 2 3 4 5
User avatar
ScaredOfCrows
Posts: 713
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:58 am

Re: Bear Wars: format and fixtures

Postby ScaredOfCrows » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:07 pm

I have received a bribe of high class hookers and copious amounts of blow to allow a game to be played on Tuesday night.

Everyone is welcome to take advantage of this FINAL extension.

Results to be posted by Wednesday morning please.
1 2 3 4 5
CaptainJay
Posts: 365
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:52 am
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Bear Wars: format and fixtures

Postby CaptainJay » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:31 pm

ScaredOfCrows wrote:I have received a bribe of high class hookers and copious amounts of blow to allow a game to be played on Tuesday night.

Everyone is welcome to take advantage of this FINAL extension.

Results to be posted by Wednesday morning please.


Isn't this like the 3rd extension? I feel like the kid who did his homework on time and then the teacher gives the class an extension because some of them haven't done their work *grumble grumble*.

ps. Hope the hookers are good!
User avatar
skindog
Posts: 1749
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:02 pm
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Bear Wars: format and fixtures

Postby skindog » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:00 pm

Actually CJ, it was always to be Thursday with the option of a one week extension, Iain was just trying his best to get it done before the first deadline. Its surely better to get everyone playing as many games as possible, especially at the top of the table! would you not rather be a part of the top 4 play off on skill rather than due to people below you playing less games? I know I'd rather miss out on the top 4 by losing to Jake than by not getting to play the game at all!!!
CaptainJay
Posts: 365
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:52 am
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Bear Wars: format and fixtures

Postby CaptainJay » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:22 pm

skindog wrote:Actually CJ, it was always to be Thursday with the option of a one week extension, Iain was just trying his best to get it done before the first deadline. Its surely better to get everyone playing as many games as possible, especially at the top of the table! would you not rather be a part of the top 4 play off on skill rather than due to people below you playing less games? I know I'd rather miss out on the top 4 by losing to Jake than by not getting to play the game at all!!!


It's OJ not CJ, that's the dreadball dude with the female Orc team ;)

I believe you had discussion in the same vein about the fellow who went back and focussed/cloaked up whisper after moving onto another ship and his opponent letting him do so. Talking about you treat yourself with the utmost rigor and making the game all about skill, where as actually it's just about having some fun. Similarly punishing yourself by refusing take backs etc doesn't make you a better player or help you remember to perform the correct action next time. Ultimately it's a game involving dice, so it doesn't matter how skillful you are if I keep rolling hits and you roll nothing but blanks.

However everyone getting their games done in the same amount of time, is something you can control, and even provide incentives for. I believe Ian said something along the lines of rewarding the players who managed to get their games in, which after what happened with the 40k world cup is something I heartily support. I'm not annoyed about the extension, my comment was more like "huh, again?" However if there hadn't been the extensions we could be organizing the final play-offs now (which will potentially take a while getting all 4 players to agree on a time/date) and I feel restless having completed my games, and waiting for the league to progress.

I personally don't really care which bracket I end up in, top or bottom, my plan would still be to smash it as hard as I can. Furthermore I wouldn't really consider our little league a particularly strong testament to player skill (sorry Ian) due to the large range of player abilities, experiences, and the funky format (hangers) and as I mentioned before it fundamentally being a dice game.
User avatar
skindog
Posts: 1749
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:02 pm
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Bear Wars: format and fixtures

Postby skindog » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:54 pm

haha, sorry man, was half paying attention to the TV XD

I fail however to believe that you don't care where you end up, or that you say the game is "just for fun", this is you after all :lol:

Interesting that you think the game has NOTHING to do with skill as well, yes luck affects games, without the luck element we may as well play chess. I however disagree with pretty much everything you said, the game takes skill, it is fairly balanced & luck affects it in a way but is by no means EVERYTHING, I'll remember to point it out if you win that you're not a good player just lucky ;)

It is a bit of fun as a league but in any form of competitive event (its competitive because there is a winner & loser, can still be fun & played in good spirits, which it has been) the best players will ultimately end up at the top of the table, because good players win more games than not so good players.

"funky" things such as hangars actually prove player skill more than a take anything each game type of league as you have to be able to build a hangar that can build squads that can perform well against a range of opposing lists, I for example have played EVERY game with 94 points, bad play on my part in my hangar design, put me on the back foot, I've won 4 out of 5 games with that list, I'd say that suggests I'm not that bad a player as I've managed to overcome an early mistake to put myself in contention at the top of the table.

I find most of your comments very interesting & contradictory to your usual winning is everything smash at all costs kind of attitude
CaptainJay
Posts: 365
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:52 am
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Bear Wars: format and fixtures

Postby CaptainJay » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:21 pm

skindog wrote:haha, sorry man, was half paying attention to the TV XD

I fail however to believe that you don't care where you end up, or that you say the game is "just for fun", this is you after all :lol:

Interesting that you think the game has NOTHING to do with skill as well, yes luck affects games, without the luck element we may as well play chess. I however disagree with pretty much everything you said, the game takes skill, it is fairly balanced & luck affects it in a way but is by no means EVERYTHING, I'll remember to point it out if you win that you're not a good player just lucky ;)

It is a bit of fun as a league but in any form of competitive event (its competitive because there is a winner & loser, can still be fun & played in good spirits, which it has been) the best players will ultimately end up at the top of the table, because good players win more games than not so good players.

"funky" things such as hangars actually prove player skill more than a take anything each game type of league as you have to be able to build a hangar that can build squads that can perform well against a range of opposing lists, I for example have played EVERY game with 94 points, bad play on my part in my hangar design, put me on the back foot, I've won 4 out of 5 games with that list, I'd say that suggests I'm not that bad a player as I've managed to overcome an early mistake to put myself in contention at the top of the table.

I find most of your comments very interesting & contradictory to your usual winning is everything smash at all costs kind of attitude


I definitely didn't say skill plays no part, but if I'm rolling all natural crits and you're rolling blanks the skill part doesn't really factor into it. Similarly I've had 4/5 of ships one-shotted during the league, all of them rolling 3+ green dice and generally having tokens (it's been Fel twice, grrrh!) I think Jim's had pretty rough time in this league due to poor rolling stuff like Ian rolled 4 crits against his BH who then failed both evade, or against Hung? where whisper got one-shotted by an x-wing despite 4 evade dice and a focus.

Also your 94pt list is by no means bad, all solid ships there, especially compared with stuff like say Blount and Munitions Failsafe which you see in some of the other hangars. Anyways I think we're largely in agreement, I'd just like the league to keep moving (and get on with smashing either yourself or Ian).
User avatar
skindog
Posts: 1749
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:02 pm
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Bear Wars: format and fixtures

Postby skindog » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:04 pm

One shots happen, I flew all interceptors a LOT for a while, I lost count of how many times Fel got one shotted, at range 3, with a focus & evade token. XD

I one-shot Whipser, a Sigma Phantom, Fel & Carnor Jax in the tournament at Bracknell, its what happens when you rely on green dice XD

I agree I'd like the league to keep flowing, there was always a 1 week extension on the cards, we've just activated that 1 week extension, Iain was trying to avoid it but since a few finishing places can be affected by whether that last game is played or not Iain has taken the option to add the week, he just did it a little bit at a time so it may seem like multiple extensions.

I don't think it'll take too long to get the finals games played, there has been a LOT of X-Wing played recently & everyone seems to be keen to get games played still. hopefully see you in the finals ;)

Return to “X-Wing League”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest