Game 1;

Vs JayJayDee

Lists;

Me;

Binary Pirate w Feedback Array x4
Black Sun Soldier w Inertial Dampeners x2
Black Sun Soldier w "Hot Shot" Blaster

JayJayDee;

Leebo (34) + Marksmanship(3) + HLC(7) + Kyle Katarn(3) + Outrider(5) + Experimental Interface(3) = 57
Ten Numb (31) + Advanced Sensors(3) + Autoblaster(5) + Outmaneuver(3) = 42

SO The Z's set up in a 4-2 formation (4 Bug Zappers at the front, 2 Soldiers with dampeners at the rear) on the right flank & the "Hot Shot" set up in the middle.

Leebo decided he'd see what happens when he faces those Z's face on, they are only Z's after all!!! Ten went for the middle opposite "Hot Shot".

Z's Powered forwards 4, Lebbo sped forwards 3, then barrel rolled backwards, no shooting, at this point I thought Leebo might duck out of the fight & turn away from the Z's, so they hammered it forwards again, Leebo didn't he was determined to find out just how many Z's it would take to bring him down!!! choosing for a 1 forwards & using his experimental interface to get Marksmanship after the barrel roll to enable him to get a shot on the Z's at the back. Leebo started well, removing the shields off a Z, the Z's returned fire, after a punishing fusillade of laser fire Leebo had discovered 5 Z's (3 at R1) can leave you on just 2 hull remaining! Meanwhile Ten Numb was having a scrap with the Hot Shot, they traded blows, with 2 shields lost each.

next turn the 3 Z's on the left of the formation K-Turned beside Leebo, with the other 2 Pirates taking a lazy 1 forwards, then in a surprise move the Soldier on the right flank hit the dampeners and stopped dead, causing Leebo to smash right into him! Ten by this point was bored with the upstart Hot Shot soldier & came in to help Leebo out, He wiped out the dampener using Z, The Z's decided to try to drag Leebo down, one Pirate was too dizzy after his K-Turn & missed his mark, the other got one plucky damage through & the pirate on the right flank found out what the big red button does!!! Leebo goes down with a great ZzzzzzzzaPPP!!! the Pirate drifts forwards wondering why his entire ship has stopped working.

Now Ten is facing off against 6 Z's & despite his best efforts just couldn't dodge all those lasers being brought down not long after Leebo.

Final result 100-14 to me. (If I actually lost 2 Z's here please feel free to correct me, the last few turns are a blur now!)
186-14 MoV.

Game 2;

Vs Musketoon.

Lists

Me;

As Above.

Musketoon;

Wedge (29) + R2 Astromech (1) + Predator (3) =(33)
Tarn (23) + R7 Astromech (2) =(25)
Prototype Pilot (17) + Chardaan Refit (-2) =(15)
Blue Squadron Pilot (22) + Fire-Control System (2) + Ion Cannon (3) = (27)

This game, working out their formation last game the Z's decided to stick with it. The Rebels faced off against the Z swarm, The Z's were confident after their last outing and blasted forwards ready to Zap! some more. The Rebels had other ideas. This was a straight up joust for the first two rounds of combat, the Rebels could do no wrong, after one shooting phase 2 Z's were down, 4 shots, 2 dead Z's!! They were wary now, return fire managed to strip the shields off Wedge & one Pirate totally fluffed his R1 attack (3 blanks!!!) the second R1 Pirate scored 2 hits, leaving Wedge on 1 hull but no bug Zapper in range to finish the job! next turn the cluster F*** begins, lots of bumps, lots of K turns. Another Z dead after 2 more shots, 6 shots, 3 dead Z's!!! by this point the Scum are getting worried, their numbers are falling and they can't seem to get a decent shot off, then Wedge dies & Tarn loses his shields, a bloody turn all around!

Now the joust is over, formations have literally smashed into each other, we need to break off and re-engage, Tarn bites the dust, a pair of Pirates gang up on the A-Wing, a solid hit & a push of a big red button and he's only got 1 hull remaining! by this point the Z's have remembered how to avoid being shot! However the formations are broken by this point, we are all flying through debris fields like they are candy, I have a Z with 3 stress, a Z with 2 stress & the other 2 are stressed, one is Ioned, there is no way I can turn around, the A & B can't capitalize & get any serious damage through, now its all over the place, the guy with 3 stress gets blasted by the B wing, who then gets shot up by the Pirates, now is a 1HP A-Wing vs 2 Soldiers & a Pirate, the Soldiers chase the A-Wing down, who flies into Zapper range, with a great ZzzzzzzaPPPPP! its all over, the Prototype Pilot learnt a valuable lesson & the Scum limp home victorious, be very, very stressed & licking their wounds! (I had 6 stress tokens over 3 ships at the end of that game!!!)

100-56 to me.
144-56 MoV.

2 great games, & lots of fun running the 7 Z swarm!!! Cheers to JayJayDee & Musketoon for 2 great games!
ScaredOfCrows

Re: BEAR WARS II - Results and Standings

Postby ScaredOfCrows » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:22 pm

Vargas wrote:Heh, the follow up game was excellent! Not much to say about the league game - it was over in what, 10 minutes?

ScaredOfCrows wrote:The result will not be counted until the full lists of both players have been posted in the report.

Great photo/image work from Dom though!
1 2 3 4 5
Domfluff

Postby Domfluff » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:35 pm

This is not the post you're looking for.

Unlike with the showing at the weekend, this wasn't so much a failing of the Defender, as it was being out-flown by James (it does help to have stuff that can actually turn properly, but that's a different problem) - there was one crucial turn (pictured), which was immediately followed with his inertial dampeners firing, and that's the end of Rexlar. That shuts off Vessary's ability, so he's just waiting to die really. Partly that's down to the Defender being one of the most predictable ships going, but it's also James getting a handle on the Aggressor and how to shift it around.

I was unlucky on my closing damage - I did about half of the damage that would have been expected, but it wouldn't have helped actually kill anything.

The Defenders were employed here because they had a very similar stat line (one fewer hull) and greater damage output - it's something like a 60-70% chance of getting 8 hits, and it should really roll at least 7 in the majority of cases, so they are in theory on fairly equal terms with the Aggressors. The lack of movement options hurt them tremendously (Engine upgrades would help, but they're only half of the story really), and as I found on the weekend - Defenders rely on that single focus tremendously, and even with an average spread of evade rolls it only really takes one unlucky roll for it to be game over.

I can understand their value in epic games - in the Excelsior tournament their early game was tremendously strong - so with more points available to cover their (expensive) weaknesses, they could easily have a useful role to play, I think. I think I'm okay with that? I'm not sure every ship needs to be good in every format, and even the nature of timed and untimed games change the value of certain ships.
Last edited by Domfluff on Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pew pew
ScaredOfCrows

Postby ScaredOfCrows » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:54 pm

JayJayDee
Ten Numb (31) + Advanced Sensors(3) + Autoblaster(5) + Outmaneuver(3) = 42
Biggs Darklighter(25) + R2-D2(4) = 29
Red Squad Pilot (23) + R5-K6(2) + Flechette Torpedoes(2) + Munitions Failsafe(1) = 28

vs

ScaredOfCrows
Soontir Fel (27) + Royal Guard TIE (0) + Push the Limit(3) + Stealth Device(3) + Autothrusters (2) = (35)
Carnor Jax (26) + Push the Limit (3) + Royal Guard TIE (0) + Stealth Device (3) + Autothrusters (2) = (34)
Royal Guard Pilot (2) + Push the Limit (3) + Royal Guard TIE (0) + Autothrusters (2) + Stealth Device (3) = (30)

Ten was hungry for interceptor. His appetite, however, was his undoing. He left the safety of Biggs and the Red Squadron Pilot and attempted to chase down Soontir single handed. The Baron was in no mood for any autocrits and dragged the Numb brother on a tour round the asteroid field.

Carnor and the Royal Guard Pilot (RGP) made short work of the two X-Wings, turned in to join their leader and converged on the rebel B-Wing ace. The RGP took a crit but it was too little tool late and in one strafing run from three of galaxies finest it was all over.

SCCR - 100 JJD - 0 (200-0)
1 2 3 4 5
ScaredOfCrows

Postby ScaredOfCrows » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:46 am

ScaredOfCrows wrote:
Vargas wrote:Heh, the follow up game was excellent! Not much to say about the league game - it was over in what, 10 minutes?

ScaredOfCrows wrote:The result will not be counted until the full lists of both players have been posted in the report.

Great photo/image work from Dom though!

Cheers Domfluff!

Results added to table
1 2 3 4 5
Cai
Flag: Great Britain

Postby Cai » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:18 pm

Cai vs Musketoon.

Cai:
The Tatooine All-Stars:
Wedge Antilles (29) - Push the Limit (3), R2 Astromech (1) = (33)
Luke Skywalker (28) - Marksmanship (3), ·R2D2 (4), ·Experimental Interface (3) - (38)
Jake Farrell (24) - Veteran Instincts (1), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Push The Limit (3), Chardaan Refit (-2), Autothrusters (2) = (28)

Musketoon:
Wedge (29) + R2 Astromech (1) + Predator (3) =(33)
Tarn (23) + R7 Astromech (2) =(25)
Prototype Pilot (17) + Chardaan Refit (-2) =(15)
Blue Squadron Pilot (22) + Fire-Control System (2) + Ion Cannon (3) = (27)

Musketoon set up his ships mostly on the right (from my POV), in a nice formation, and I set up somewhere in the middle for Jake to power off at full speed and flank, and for Luke and Wedge to turn in around one of the rocks down right hand side...

In the opening engagement, Wedge and Luke did exactly as planned and blew up Tarn, and Jake chipped away at Wedge (knocking a shield off). Over the next couple of turns, some impressive blocking and shooting (which is mostly a blur) left both Wedges dead, Jake on one hull, Luke on one hull and one shield, the A-Wing on two hull and a shield, and the B-Wing on three hull and a shield. Uh oh...

Despite being ioned a couple of times, Luke decided to get the hell out of there, and Jake needed to turn in to distract them. Selling his life dearly, Jake managed to distract the A- and B-Wing (which took a point of damage from Jake in the process) long enough for Luke to get away and K-turn with full shields. From there, the B-Wing fell to an unmodified hit-hit-crit, then the A-Wing after a couple of passes fell to a target lock plus marksmanship range one shot, that resulted in two crits and two hits. It's worth noting that during his breakaway, Luke was shot at three times, and rolled focus-evade three times.

Thanks to Ollie for a great game, and for putting up with me having to run home halfway through the game.

For me, man of the match, without a doubt, was Luke Skywalker. The force was definitely strong with this one.

I won 100-61. MOV 139-61 (I think).
Panzer Vor!
Loki
Flag: Ireland

Postby Loki » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:54 am

Loki - Rebel
Corran Horn (35) + R2-D2 (4) + Advance Sensors (3) = 42
Wedge Antilles (29) = 29
Keyan Farlander (29) = 29
Total = 100

ScaredOfCrows - Empire
Soontir Fel (27) + Royal Guard TIE (0) + Push the Limit(3) + Stealth Device(3) + Autothrusters (2) = 35
Carnor Jax (26) + Royal Guard TIE (0) + Push the Limit(3) + Stealth Device(3) + Autothrusters (2) = 34
Royal Guard (22) + Royal Guard TIE (0) + Push the Limit(3) + Stealth Device(3) + Autothrusters (2) = 30
Total = 99

100-0 to Ian
MOV 200-0

Had a fantastic game against Ian last night. 2 three-ship builds spent best past of 1.5 hours jousting for just the loss of shields on Keyan. I think the turning point was when Corran pulled out the double tap on the Royal Guard to unleash 8 red dice and could only roll 1 pow on each set of 4 which the Interceptor causally shrugged off. The Inteceptor trio continued to wear down Keyan from range will avoiding Wedge. After a couple of hours Keyan died and the ties moved in for the kill first Wedge and then Corran being put to the sword. The mov is as bad as it gets but I really enjoyed the game and always enjoy picking up tactical insights when playing Ian.

Roll on the next round (doesn't look like I can do Tatooine Tuesday :( Tuesday is normally a pretty bad day for me)

I would give MotM to the Royal Guard
Bristol Vanguard - 2015 WPS Blood Bowl Champions
Domfluff

Postby Domfluff » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:48 pm

Eski vs Domfluff

Domfluff - Empire
8 x Academy Ties - 96 points

Eski - Empire
Krassis Trelix 36 + Heavy Laser Cannon (7) Gunner (5) = 48
"Whisper" (32) Outmaneuver (3) Fire-Control System (2) Gunner (5) Advanced Cloaking Device (4) = 46

Looking at Steve's two ships made me really nervous - both ships with gunner and Whisper with FCS and Outmanoeuvre is a really powerful combination - I can imagine that giving James' Aggressors a hard time, for example.

Still, I was fortunate that both ships are hard to fly, and Steve isn't that experienced with them, so I probably got off lightly.

The opening was pretty tense, and Whisper in particular did not want to lose her cloak, which made her early moves a lot harder to predict - clearly she'd want to hook around behind a ton of Ties, whilst Krassis picked them off at long range, but judging the precise timing of this was vital.

Fortunately I guessed correctly, bumped Whisper and had her surrounded by Tie Fighters - first round of shooting took both shields and a hull off the Phantom, which was a considerable set back.

I forgot to take a picture, but it looked something like this:

Whisper ran away to lick her wounds under the cover of her cloak, and the rest of the swarm turned and started chewing on Krassis.

Krassis suddenly got really agile, and dished out quite a few crits to the endless and nameless, but they were spread thinly, and none of them actually went down.

An unfortunately judged K-turn from Whisper led to an Academy Tie pulling off a fantastic range three shot for the final damage, and that was that.

MOV: Domfluff 200, Eski 0

Man of the Match: Nameless Academy Pilot sharpshooter.
Pew pew
skindog

Postby skindog » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:42 pm

Sam vs Matt (nightwing)

Lists;

Krassis
Palob
Pirate x2

Matt;

Fettigator
Vader

This one started tense, the 2 Zs & Palob in reverse V formation, Kath way off to the left, Vader straight up against the V, Fett in the middle.

First exchange saw an attempt at Palob, the HLC doing 3 damage, Vader pinged a Z.

Fett picked on the damaged pirate, the APLs getting some damage in and the prox mine glancing the pirate, with the cannons finishing him off. Vader had a go at Palob with no success.

Kath wasn't doing much right now, mostly bumping into Fett and takin damage from the APLs XD the Z took Vaders shields off in one shot.

Next turn Fett decided to use the navigator and his ability to avoid bumping Kath, it quickly dawned on the navigator that he had made a mistake & was very clearly going to leave the combat zone, Fett was not best pleased with his assistant!!! Hitting he brakes hard to get a last couple of shots off he killed the Z he had been picking on. Meanwhile Palob had ran away in grisly heroic fashion, the Pirate who had already taken Vaders shields off took a R1 shot, rolling 3 hits, Vader having used all of his efforts to dodge Kaths shot went down to the lowly pirate, in just two shots!!!! With Vader dead and Fett 2mm from flying straight off the game was done.

Well played Matt & keep working on that Fettigator!!! It's tough to fly but the rewards can be great!

In the end it was 100-12 to me, meaning 188-12 on MoV
skindog

Postby skindog » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:44 pm

Any time I said iras sis there I meant Kath, stupid iPhone wouldn't let me scroll up to change it!!!! Apologies for the blatantly millions of errors in that post, this thing is hell to type on!
nightwing

Postby nightwing » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:43 am

Fett flying off the board was kind of hilarious; I realised the mistake as soon as I moved him. From the cockpit flight recorder;
Fett- I'll bank right. No, left!
Navigator- Go slower. No, go faster!
Fett- Collision avoided! Wait, where the hell has everyone gone...

And Vader was (as usual) almost endearingly useless :D
ScaredOfCrows

Postby ScaredOfCrows » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:52 am

I've flown Fett off the board a lot!
All bounty hunters have only loose afilliations with the Empire. I guess they just get better offers and jog the f**k on!
1 2 3 4 5
ScaredOfCrows

Postby ScaredOfCrows » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:54 am

ScaredOfCrows
Soontir Fel (27) + Royal Guard TIE (0) + Push the Limit(3) + Stealth Device(3) + Autothrusters (2) = (35)
Carnor Jax (26) + Push the Limit (3) + Royal Guard TIE (0) + Stealth Device (3) + Autothrusters (2) = (34)
Royal Guard Pilot (2) + Push the Limit (3) + Royal Guard TIE (0) + Autothrusters (2) + Stealth Device (3) = (30)

vs

Nightwing
Darth Vader (29) + Assault Missiles (5) + Predator (3) + Stealth Device (3)= (40)
Boba Fett (39) + HLC (7) + Proxy Mines (3) + Vet Instincts (1) + Navigator (3) + Slave 1 (0) + Anti Pursuit Lasers (2)= (55)

A dense asteroid field in the centre prevented Fett from making the most of his maneuverability leaving Vader isolated against Carnor and the Royal Guard. After chucking a feint at Boba in an attempt to keep him out of the fight even longer The Baron moved in on Darth hoping to finish the job his wingmenhad begun. Vader saw it coming and banked hard into the interceptors path, winning the game of chicken and leaving Fell with no actions and in the sights of a Bounty hunter keen to make up for lost time.

Fell survived the HLC shot with one hull remaining and quickly got out of the meelee to avoid any splash damage from the incoming assault missle launched by the K-turning chosen one. Carnor evaded the unfocused missle with the help of his autothrusters and took out the Sith Lord with return fire.

The three interceptors converged on Boba who was again forced to turn away from the asteroid field and his pursuers. Three interceptors can hit hard and in the following turn they returned to base leaving Boba for dead in the drifting wreckage of Slave 1.

A tough matchup for Nightwing as (current) Vader has virtually no chance of damaging a PTL, SD, AT Interceptor.

SCCR wins:
MOV = 200-0
1 2 3 4 5
ScaredOfCrows

Postby ScaredOfCrows » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:15 am

Results added to table.
1 2 3 4 5
Domfluff

Postby Domfluff » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:28 am

Hooray!
Pew pew
Thunderchild

Postby Thunderchild » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:55 pm

"It is not the roll of the dice that determines your destiny. It is how many times you roll that determines this." – Michael Sage.  

I felt starting this report with a quote about dice was appropriate considering the part they played in last nights game with Monk. To put it lightly this game was one of the most intense, exciting, nail biting, mentally exhausting and frustratingly fantastic games of X-Wing I have EVER played.

I rocked up to the Duke straight from work and to be brutally honest was not really feeling like a game of X-wing. I currently have a stinking cold and actually trying to think in a straight line is incredibly difficult so I was not expecting to do well this round and was actually looking forward to finishing the game and getting home to my bed.

I had a feeling that Liam would bring his Kath list so my plan was to bring a squad that would not evaporate if a ship happened to be caught in Kath's rear of fear. My plan (If you can call it that) was simply to go all out at Kath with everything I had, get as many hits on her as possible on the approach and then pray that my guys could weather a turn or two of her auxiliary arc as they finished her off. At least then I'd walk away from the table with some MOV points which was good enough for me.

So the lists.

Thunderchild:

Wes Janson – VI, Hull Upgrade, R3-A2.
Gold Squadron Pilot – R2 Astromech, Ion Cannon Turret, BTL title.
Blue Squadron Pilot – Ion Cannon, Advanced Sensors.
Bandit Squadron Pilot.

Monk:

Kath Scarlett – PTL, Inertial Dampeners, Engine Upgrade K4 Security droid.
Palob Godalhi – Blaster Turret, K4 Security droid.
Binayre Pirate x2

Both myself and Monk selected three asteroids and proceeded to place them in a dense field going from the middle of the board towards the upper right corner of the table. The Pirates were placed in the middle of the board facing the field, I placed my 2's next in a loose pinwheel in my right hand corner then Palob joined the pirates. Kath went down into the top left corner and I placed Wes to my left on the end of the pinwheel formation.

I felt that Monk would not be taking Palob and the pirates (Nice band name) through the asteroid field so turned my squad to the left doing a hard two manoeuvre, at the other end of the table Palob and the pirates did the same with Kath moving forward down the left hand side board edge. Some bumping occurred between Palob and the pirates and with that we moved to the next turn.

The pirates completed their move around the corner of closest rock and I brought my squad in a three bank skirting the edge of the asteroid field. Wes took the lead with the bandit close by and the B-wing and Y-wing trailing in a line just behind them. Kath moves forward slightly and it looks like if she maintains this course I'll mostly be in her blind spot when we come into weapons range. Next turn it all changes and my plan goes right out of the window, most of the squad lightly turns right getting ready to lay into Kath except for Wes who makes a tight three turn in the hopes of getting some head on range one shots. Seeing as the pirates are coming into range most of my actions are target locks and most go on the lead pirate. Kath then cuts a hard right and heads into the asteroid field luckily for me not much is in her arc and this gives me a chance to get some focus fire into the rest of Monks force.

Wes manages to Strip Palob of his token denying him any blaster turret action and the B-wing and Z95 take out a pirate, the Y-wing lands a shot on Kath stripping a shield and delivering an Ion token. Kath strips three shields from the B-wing in return.

Next turn the remaining Pirates Kturns in front of my force, despite advanced sensor barrel rolling with the B-wing it manages to avoid the arcs of all of my ships. Wes meanwhile has K turned in behind Palob. Kath continues to make her way across the board through the asteroid field her rear arc is now facing most of my force.
Wes manages to get some good hits in on Palob and the B-Wing helps in taking him down meanwhile the Z95 and the Y-wing have nothing to shoot at and Kath lands a good score of hits on the Y-wing stripping it of it's shields.

Realising that my grace period is coming to an end I attempt to get my force back into line lightly turning the Y-wing into the asteroid field whist the Z95 crosses its path going lightly the other way. I adv sensor Kturn the B-wing in the hopes of finishing off the remaining pirate who has taken a tight turn out towards the left hand side of the table.
Kath Kturns and starts her journey back through the asteroids and I bring Wes on a gentle one into the field with the intention of getting some hits onto Kath.

All I can recall at this point is that some shots were fired, I think Kath managed to strip the Z95s shields, the Y-wing has no shot and Neither does Wes but don't quote me on that. The B fails to do the job of taking the final pirate down.

I Kturn the Z95 between two asteroids in the hopes of causing a collision with Kath I tight two the Y round another rock lining up for that double whammy hit and the B-wing gives up the chase on the remaining pirate turning back in to lend it's firepower to taking out Kath. Kath then pulls an amazing manoeuvre that takes her between an asteroid and Wes, Monk puts the boost from the engine upgrade to good use using it to clear the field, I then watch as Wes does an easy one and slides beautifully into point blank range of Kaths rear arc. I prepare to kiss Wes good bye and then it happens, 5 dice point blank somehow results in ZERO hits. I could not believe it, something or someone was smiling down on me and Wes lives to continue the fight. The bandit manages to get some shots on Kath in return stripping some shields away.

I choose to keep the Bandit stressed and tight turn him two to my left to meet the fleeing pirate, I've had a target lock on him for most of the game and now is the time to finally use it. Kath turns out of the field towards the left board edge, the B-wing was meant to do a hard two to inwards but due to mental exhaustion the dial went down facing the wrong way. Monk kindly lets me move the intended direction which ultimately works out for him as Kath is now beautifully lined up on the B. Wes tight turns three towards my right hand corner and prepares to come about, the Y-wing sliding into formation with him.

It's at this point that the game takes a massive slide and things get interesting. Kath proceeds to annihilate the B-wing in return the remaining Z95 vapes it's evil pirate cousin. Next turn Kath moves down the left hand side and I Kturn the single hull bandit in behind her just on the the slimmest of chances it survives to shoot. Wes and the Y move up cautiously, I'm trying to keep my moves small to keep Kath in arc, I can't afford to let her to boost away again.

Monk uses inertial dampeners to great affect, the Firespray stays where it is and destroys the plucky Z95, meanwhile Wes manages to park himself on a rock luckily taking no damage. I pull a hard three with the Y-wing intent on blocking Kath's path and getting that second ion token on her but again Kath does her thing and snuffs the Y-wing out like it wasn't even there. In the space of three or so turns Kath has completely turned this game around and I now realise that I'm in trouble.

Wes manages to tight two and lands some shots on Kath as she flies past but it's not enough to finish her off. I finally remember that I have R3-A2 and decide to give Kath a stress in the hopes of stopping her from boosting away, Wes takes a stress himself. Next turn we start to move up the right hand side board edge, both parties score hits Kath lands three solid hits on Wes. Luckily for me the hull upgrade saves the day and Wes hangs on in there both ships have now been reduced to just one hull each. Sensing that this next turn will be the last I take a massive gamble and go with a three bank keeping my stress and then electing to take another from R3-A2 to keep the pressure on Kath. I take my final naked roll of the game and come up with a single measly hit. Monk rolls his dice needing just a single evade and brings up two focus and a blank! Kath erupts into a fireball and I collapse into the nearest chair due to exhaustion offering a silent prayer to the designer of R3-A2 and the mighty hull upgrade.

Summary:

HOLY MOTHERFLIPPING SHIZ WHAT A GAAAAAAMME!!!!!

*Ahem* I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Monk for giving me one of the best X-wing games I have ever played, as I said at the beginning my attitude was that this round would be over quickly and I'd be relaxing at home within the hour of game start.

When Kath turned into the asteroid field to avoid a broadside from my squad my attitude changed and the fear of her rear diminished somewhat, my hopes were raised and by focus firing and sticking as close together as possible I was able to start clearing the field whilst Kath turned around. It was ironic that Wes did the most token stripping this game and after taking Palob and a pirate out for virtually no loss I actually started to think that I could pull this off. But then Kath jumped back into the game and just started mopping up. I'm really glad that I chose to go with the lower PS squad, if I had flown my Wes, Keyan and double Bandit squad I think this would have been over even quicker than I initially thought based on how much hurt Kath was putting out. As the game wore on it got harder and harder to focus and concentrate and as a result of that I completely forgot to remove some target locks from Kath with Wes ability in the final turns this could have resulted in less hits making it through and it not coming down to a 1 hull vs 1 hull shoot off (thanks Skindog for pointing this out) I'll certainly be remembering that for next time.

Final Scores:

Thunderchild – 136

Monk - 64

Domfluff

Postby Domfluff » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:06 pm

Whee! Well done man.
Pew pew
Monk
Committee Member
Flag: Germany

Postby Monk » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:39 pm

What a game that was man. Started off as one of the worst most frustrating games I have played and turned into one of the best most frustrating games instead :-)
My Painting - Http://thepaintingmonkey.wordpress.com
My Ramblings - https://twitter.com/MunkeyKungFu

Games currently playing
X-Wing| Board games Galore| Guild Ball | Warhammer Conquest | Game of Thrones LCG
jasonT

Postby jasonT » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:50 pm

Wobbly goggy vs myself.

My hanger.
Gold squadron, ion cannon t. 23
Gold squadron, ion cannon t.23
Blue squadron, ion cannon , fcs. 27
Bandit z winw. 12
A wing prototype 17, chardaan-2. 15

Mr goggy's hanger
black sun enforcer , autothrusters. 27
Blacksun enforcer. 25
Binayre 12
Binayre 12
Syndicate thug, ion cannon t. Btla4
Unhinged astromech 24

The two sides set up in the usual opposite corners. The scum flew fast and tight and the rebels split. A wing and z95 going up the side while the two y's and the b played silly buggers trying to stall and draw in the scum. I dont think it worked as i had planned. The scum came in to quick and the rebels had to scramble to bring the squadron back together. Initial exchange at range three was disappointing for the rebs and the scum fared only a little better. With the range closing the scum found their mark and the bandit pilot LT redshirt went down in a ball of flames and capt S*** piloting the A wing hag the same fate. Despite the losses the rebel fleet had starded to cause trouble with the ion weapons.
First the syndicate thug bought the moisture farm and then during the pass the rebel b wing went pop. But due to the cunning turret ions the scum could not get away from the constant errosion of ion dammage and its stalling effects. One black sun had had enough and left the combat zone (ioned off )
The binayre's slowly meet their end while one of the rebel y wing followed.
The final turns had a dammaged black sun facing off against the last rebel y wing. The rebel piolts faster reflexes winning the day. (Ps 2 vs ps1)
Last y wing had 4 hull i think. It Was a great game and i thoroughly enjoyed every miniute of it.

Win to me mov 123 - 77
Last edited by jasonT on Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#jtuvminis on twitter
Thunderchild

Postby Thunderchild » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:30 pm

No one suspects the Y-Wing!

Great write up, must have been a laugh with all those ion shots flying around. :D
wobbly_goggy

Postby wobbly_goggy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:13 pm

Great game, so so close! !! Best game yet, and Jason was really fun and sporting to play against :D
damn ion. ..!Pink y wing for man of the match! His ion took care of me! Didn't stop the one shot on the a wing though!
jasonT

Postby jasonT » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:17 am

Deffo pinky for mvp. No one wants to hit a girl in the face with lazorz.
#jtuvminis on twitter
jasonT

Postby jasonT » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:48 am

Game two vs eski

Eski hanger.
Krassis trelix. hlc, gunner. 48
Whisper. Outmanoeuvre,fcs,gunner, acd. 46

My hanger
Gold y, ion turret 23
Gold y, ion turret 23
Blue b, ion cannon, fcs
Prototype a, chardaan 15
Bandit z95. 12

The rebs set up in the left hand corner and the empire set up centrally. Opening moves saw the rebs move forward and bank right spliting into two groups to find two safe channels through the roids. Krassis rolled forward and whisper zipped off away from the action. Zummut up yer i thought! ! I went for krassis. And he banked hard away to rendezvous with whisper but the rebs had taken the offered bait and got strung out through the asteroids. When the shooting started the rebs were out of position to bring all guns to bear (wars). Both sides taking hits.
Lt redshirt bravely did his duty and pounced forward to block in the fire spray and failed. Captain s#!@ in the A made a brave gamble to provide more ffire for the rebs. Both paid the price with there pathetic miniature lives.
But gaddafis brother in law (palpatine) didnt have all their own way. Whisper hand braked on to a rock and the ion attrition had started. Whisper and krassis had taken dammage and now both attempted to break free of the ion cannon range. Whisper turned to re engage at long range taking shelter cloaked behind an asteroid. A rebel pilot saw a quivver in the stars and shot at the area only to be rewarded with an exploding phantom. Thats three red vs 6 green. Dam those green dice.
The firespray now stood alone and turned to face the rrebels.he was ioned, lazord and then buggered.

Mpv i think it was the blue that shot whisper at 3 v 6

Mov me 173
Steve 27
I think we both need to fly these more. Both of us forgot cards and abilities. Another good game on a night i actually won back to back games.
#jtuvminis on twitter
Thunderchild

Postby Thunderchild » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:33 pm

"In the midst of chaos there is also opportunity" – Sun Tzu

Chaos was most definitely the theme for last night's match with Wobbly_Goggy! Read on for a thrilling report of collisions, cock ups and action loss!

The Lists.

Thunderchild:

Wes Janson – VI, Hull Upgrade, R3-A2
Keyan Farlander – Opportunist, E2/C3PO, Advanced Sensors.
Bandit Squadron Pilot x2

Wobbly_Goggy:

Black Sun Enforcer.
Black Sun Enforcer. Autothrusters.
Syndicate Thug. Ion Cannon Turret, Unhinged Astromech, BTL title.
Binayre Pirate x2

I took initiative but as most of Wobbly's force was PS1 it didn't really matter and he went ahead and set up his squad first in a solid block in the centre of the table, pirates leading the way flanked by the vipers with the Y-wing tucked away in the centre.
Not wanting to meet that kind of firepower head on I spread my force out a bit, the bandits taking the left flank with Wes and Keyan staying relatively central. My plan was to move the higher PS pilots up slowly and get some shots in at range three, meanwhile the bandits would push ahead in the hopes of enticing Andreas to break formation and chase after them or failing that try and use them as blockers (Hard against a PS1 force I know)

The Bandits moved easy three towards the centre of the table whilst Wes and Keyan moved forward two Keyan staying close to an asteroid in the hopes of possibly using it as additional cover, no shooting this round. Wobbly's force starts banking in to meet mine, looks like it's going to be a joust off. Some range three shots are fired, Wes fires at the closest pirate stripping a shield and the Pirates and one of the Enforcers return fire luckily Wes skill in an X-wing saves him from the torrent of fire and he comes away relatively unscathed with just a shield missing.

Next turn the pirates hold their course and straighten out ready to deliver some hurt to these trespassing Rebels. I ease the bandits round on a light two preparing to get some broadside shots on the Scum force, realising that there were going to be collisions this turn I move Wes forward as little as possible and just manage to fit in front of the closest pirate without colliding. The pirate is not the target however and as the rest of my force moves forward three target locks are placed onto the Y-wing. Wes opens fire and lands several hits reducing the Y-wings shields, Keyan is right behind and the token less Y-wing is hammered by laser fire and is taken down to one hull! Before the thug can recover Bandit one swoops in and takes the kill shot.

The Scum decide to focus all their firepower onto Keyan in revenge for downing the Y-wing and the B-wing is left alone to face the wrath of the pirates. C3PO does his best and saves one incoming shot but the B-wing is taken to one shield by the combined focus fire.

Next turn the formations collide violently The Pirates split up one going hard left the other hard right, one viper collides with the incoming bandits, because of this bandit two slams into the back of bandit one and the other viper collides with one of the pirates. Keyan sensing that collisions were imminent tries desperately to barrel roll back giving him the space he needs to avoid the furball but fails colliding with a viper whilst Wes just makes it through and Kturns behind the pirate force.

So with not a single ship having any actions (unless you include the failed barrel roll from the B-wing) the shooting phase commences. I wish I could recall the exact details of this phase but after picking ourselves up off the floor after laughing at the pile up in front of us I couldn’t really recall much. Wes takes the shields from the viper in front of him, Keyan manages to damage one of the pirates with the help from one of the bandits and the remaining bandit manages to land some hits on the other viper taking it to one hull. The pirate force continue to bring all available guns to bear on Keyan and the B-wing is taken to 2 hull, sparks fly and consoles erupt as Keyan orders 3PO to grab an extinguisher.

Next turn I focus on preserving as many of my actions as possible. One pirate z95 manages to cause my bandits to crash into him denying them their actions; one of the damaged vipers (number 41) peels away from the fight whilst the remaining Viper banks in hard and barrel rolls in an attempt to cause a collision with Wes. The other pirate veers away from the fight towards the right side of the board, Keyan manages to use advanced sensors to barrel roll and thread the needle pulling a 2k manoeuvre between a pirate and a nearby asteroid.

The combined efforts of Wes, Keyan and a bandit are required to destroy a pirate due to lack of actions and terrible dice rolling, with that bandit destroyed however my force takes no further fire from the Scum.

Next turn I send Keyan off in pursuit of the Viper on one hull Wes tries to come about to tackle the other Viper and the bandits move up looking to lay into the surviving pirate. This is where my luck ran out, the escaping viper manages to hang on in there, Wes has no shot and the bandits manage to strip a single shield from the remaining pirate. The viper Wes was chasing takes a range three shot at Keyan who erupts into a blazing fireball after I stupidly call one evade on two Dice using 3PO. Suddenly it's three vs. three and the game is most definitely on.

It gets a little hazy at this point from what I recall Wes finally manages to finish of viper41 the remaining viper and it's pirate buddy manage to take out one of bandits in return. Next turn the star viper manages to take a shield from Wes and gets a point of damage in, I try to get my two remaining ships together and they give chase to the surviving pirate, Thanks to a console fire caused by a previous critical hit the pirate z95 dies but the viper takes out my other bandit in return. So we now have a three hull Wes versus a four hull viper. I manage to get Wes in behind the viper keeping my moves small to avoid collusion. Wes manages to get a range one shot into the Viper taking it to one hull. The viper manages to survive the next barrage after I roll four blank red dice, next turn we reach a point where a the viper needs to make a turn as he's approaching my board edge and luckily I manage to guess which way it's going and keep Wes tight on his tail until eventually he manages to get that killing shot.

Final Scores.

Thunderchild = 136
Wobbly_Goggy = 64

Summary:

Well what a fantastic match! Yet again it came down to the wire with my man the one and only Wes Janson showing everyone why he is a Rogue squadron ace taking out both vipers, he also did a great job of helping his fellow wingmen by removing tokens wherever possible and dishing out the stress with R3-A2.

MVP for Wobbly had to be his pirate that despite receiving round after round of shooting from Wes and two bandits just simply refused to die buying the starvipers the time needed to get back into the action.

This match turned on it's head when I made the stupid mistake of calling one evade on two dice with Keyan, with Keyan gone I lost my heavy hitter and my firepower was greatly reduced, by the time I had pulled my remaining force together the vipers had really chewed into my guys with the bandits succumbing to the vipers attacks leaving it down to Wes to save the day.
I need to remember that no matter how many agility dice you roll when using 3PO the correct response is always zero, not one, definitely not two but zero and only zero. If Keyan had lasted a little longer he could have finished the fleeing viper then cut a hard right back into the fight and helped Wes take out the one he was chasing.

I had a blast with this one and I'd like to thank Andreas for being such a great, easy going opponent, we both had fun and many laughs this match thanks to all the cock ups and losses of actions, I'm already looking forward to our next encounter.

wobbly_goggy

Postby wobbly_goggy » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:23 pm

Great write up, and what a great match! You know it's good when your face aches from laughing for three hours solid! The conga line, ridiculous rolls/almost invincible z95 all made for a lot of fun. And going down to the wire... just a few hull points in it!
My personal favourite was pinging off your B Wing with the range three speculative shot.. that and Wes and the Star Viper facing off, both using 4 dice and both missing four times! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thunderchild

Postby Thunderchild » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:36 pm

I loved every minute, so many fantastic moments in that match. Going all out on that poor Y-wing, The star viper whiffing its shots after Wes failed with his was just pure poetry in motion, someone give that pirate a medal! Till next time buddy. ;)
Vargas
Flag: Chad

Postby Vargas » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:51 pm

Gary, you deserve a bonus point for the cracking write ups. You even got a Sun Tze quote in. Epic stuff!
ScaredOfCrows

Postby ScaredOfCrows » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:19 pm

Results added to table
1 2 3 4 5
Thunderchild

Postby Thunderchild » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:39 am

"We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop and look fear in the face. We must do that which we think we cannot"- Eleanor Roosevelt.

It's funny how all it takes sometimes for someone to strike a bolt of ice cold fear deep into my heart is to mention two simple words, Tie. Swarm. I am terrified of swarms, ever since the game came out I've been afraid of them, seeing all those ships being set up across the board from you in formation used to make me feel sick to my stomach and I was often mentally throwing in the towel before a single shot had been fired.

Fast forward a couple of years and I'm introducing my friend Chris to the wonders of X-Wing, he's really enjoying the game and we're talking about all the great lists you can come up with….and then he goes and says it.

"I think the list I'm most looking forward to running is the Tie Swarm"

*Clutches at heart and keels over*

At first I tried to point the negatives out to him, "That's a lot of ships to think about and move Chris" "You'll be bumping and losing actions for days" "Got to rely on those pesky green dice to see you through". Then suddenly I realised something, this will be a great opportunity for me to stand up, face my fear and get to grips with the Tie swarm.

Playing a new swarm player and a pilot who has many years experience flying a swarm and many a win with them under his belt are two entirely different things. When Dom messaged me for a game I won't lie I hoped that he would leave the swarm at home and bring his double defender list. This was not the case, so read on my friends to see what happened when the Thunderchild encountered The Swarm.

The Lists.

Thunderchild:

Lt Blount. Veteran Instincts, Assault Missiles.
Blue Squadron Pilot. Ion Cannon, Advanced Sensors.
Gold Squadron Pilot. Ion Turret, R2 Astromech, BTL title
Bandit Squadron Pilot.
Bandit Squadron Pilot.

Domfluff:

Academy Pilot x8

Asteroids were placed with a nice diagonal line running down the middle of the board with a single roid placed towards my upper left and lower right forming a rough star.

Dom placed the Ties into formation with four facing my direction on my left hand side of the board and four slightly behind them to the right facing my right hand side (or so I thought) of the board. I made the decision early on that I was going to set my squad up across from Dom and go for the joust no matter what. I've found that trying to come at a swarm from an angle is difficult (for me at least) and I needed every shot to count if I was going to stand a chance my thoughts were that we'd get a round of shots off, collide, this would disrupt the formation and I could hopefully then Kturn out the other side. The Bandits and the Y-wing took the lead forming the front rank with the B-wing and Lt Blount behind and to the left.
Remember how I thought Dom had set up with four ties facing my right hand side….well he hadn't, after the front four moved forwards the back four which were actually facing left moved and tight turned in behind them. I thought I was going to be handling two lots of four which didn’t seem so bad but now I was looking at the entire block of eight coming right at me, my plan promptly went out the window, there would be no Kturning past this lot after the initial collision.

Nothing was in range end of turn one, next turn the Ties close in but the rear four break away slightly to my right forming a huge kill box, no matter where I went this turn there would be multiple ties able to shoot me so I do a one forward and cross my fingers, luckily everybody gets an action especially Lt Blount who immediately puts his target lock to good use picking out a single Tie amongst the wall of grey and letting his
assault missile fly. Luckily there was no need for munitions failsafe and the targeted Tie takes a massive hit and is destroyed the shrapnel from the explosion sends debris flying through the tightly packed formation causing the nearest six Ties to take damage.

The rest of the squad lets rip at the closing formation with the lead Ties taking more fire and another one is dispatched, the Ties return fire and one of the Bandits takes a nasty hit and is reduced to one hull the remaining fire is directed at the Y-wing who manages to evade a surprising amount of fire losing a couple of shields.
Realising that next turn I would be losing actions no matter what I decided to just stick with a one forward, the B-wing luckily manages to grab a target lock on a tie with advanced sensors. The right hand Ties make a big sweeping easy three in and most of the squad collides save my left most Bandit who makes it through and also grabs a lock on the nearest Tie. My squad get to work again, I try to focus on removing the Ties that have range one shots and manage to take a couple more down, the focus of the swarm is the Y wing and the old warhorse take a pounding and is reduced to one hull!

The remaining Ties start to 3k behind my force so I do the same with my Bandits and target lock/advance sensor 2k with the B-Wing parking him in front of two ties. My dice decide to get a bit whiffy at this point and I actually don't manage a great deal, I think I take out another Tie but there are still four more out there and they are now mostly behind me, this time it's the B-wings turn to face the music and after some terrible evade rolls it loses all of it's shields to the combined fire, also the poor Y-wing bites the dust but not before getting one last hit on a tie in before it dies.

The Bandits move as slowly as they can back into the fight doing an easy two to clear the stress from their Kturns, the B-wing joins them doing an easy one and Lt Blount uses this opportunity to grab a Kturn. I manage to take out another Tie but in return the B-wing is lost and Lt Blount looses a shield. We're now down to two damaged Ties vs three Bandits one of them badly damaged, the Bandits Kturn again focusing on a Tie off to their left and Lt Blount joins in from behind boxing in the unlucky academy pilot, after that we go to the final round and it takes the combined firepower of all three Z95's but the last Tie is taken out and the survivors turn their ships around and head for home.

Summery: I'm going to be honest, I took a massive gamble and luckily on this occasion it paid off, normally it's not that good an idea to go head on jousting with a Tie swarm, the only reason I went for it this time was because of Lt Blount. His assault missile combined with his ability worked to a devastating affect and by placing it on the Tie that was bridging the two groups I managed to get a huge amount of damage on Dom's force very early on in the game. Also thanks to some very lucky rolls on my part I was able to thin the first rank of Ties reducing the amount of incoming fire on that first turn.
I chose to sacrifice actions and keeps my guys united than try and split them up, I feel this was the best course of action as it meant that I could keep that focus fire up and ensure that I took out at least one tie per round after that. Once the swarm was thinned my guys were free to spread out a bit.

My practice with my friend Chris and his swarm has really helped me get over my fear of swarms, I was able to remain focused and I believe this is what essentially led to my win, well that and some assault missiles of course.

MVP: Has to be Lt Blount doesn't it, getting that much damage on that many Ties so early in the game made it possible for my remaining guys to focus fire and get those damaged Ties out of the way as quickly as possible, special mention goes to the Y-wing who got in three rounds of glorious BTL shooting and took pretty much an entire round of shooting from the swarm, love them Y-wings!

Final Scores: Thunderchild - 148 Domfluff - 48

Many thanks to Dom for the game.    

Domfluff

Postby Domfluff » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:12 am

Oh, I think I worked out the MOV wrong (completely my fault, since I worked it out, sorry).

Gary had two 12pt Z's and Blount on the table, and Blount was 23 points, for a total of 47 points.

Gary killed 100, and I must have killed 52, so a 47 point difference.

MOV should be Thunderchild 148, Domfluff 52
Pew pew

Return to “X-Wing League”