40k Campaign The Ebon Current Rules - First Draft

Moderators: bluffreggie, Josh

Trumpkin
Flag: Seychelles

40k Campaign The Ebon Current Rules - First Draft

Postby Trumpkin » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:54 pm

Hi all,

So, I've been working on a set of campaign rules, because without rules we would have anarchy!

Ahem, anyway.

So, here's the plan. I think it should be ok, but let me know what you think. If anything seems waaaaay out there, let me know and we'll try to sort it out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Ebon Current sector.

Each side will select either Koaio or Denruba as their starting planet. A roll off will determine who picks which. It does not make any difference to gameplay. The team that selects their planet first will go second.

Each round consists of a major invasion, plus any smaller missions. The round ends with the Major Invasion (MI). Whoever wins this wins control of the planet. The smaller missions will change the circumstances of the MI.

A team’s turn goes like this:

The team decides which planet they will attack next with their MI. It must be adjacent to a planet already controlled by the team. After this has been decided, they may launch up to 2 Missions per planet adjacent to the planet they are on. The results of these missions will affect the MI. The MI will happen regardless of the results of the Missions. Once certain grand plans are in motion, they are not easily cancelled!

The MI mission is essentially a normal game of 40k. Players can decide whether to play a Maelstrom mission or a normal mission, and they will then follow the rules for that mission.

Whoever wins the MI wins control of the planet!

Additionally, if a team can achieve 3 victorious Missions on a planet, then that planet may be claimed by them. Obviously, this is a longer, more drawn out way of doing things.

For each battle, a team must choose someone to be the Commander. That player will command the forces present. More than one person may elect to undertake the mission, in which case the army will need a Supreme Commander, who will be the main commander. The main detachment must belong to the Supreme Commander’s army, and any other Commanders must form Allied detachments.

It is assumed that some forces from each side will be present on each planet, as invasions are rarely a clear-cut thing. That way, whenever a mission or MI is instigated, the opposing team must decide who will face which threat. The same thing applies regarding Commanders.

Regardless of how many people help in one mission, the points value will remain the same. This will be decided by the attacking player, unless a specific story-mission is going to happen. Probably around 1.5-2k per game would be good, but players are free to do what they want. Just save the giant clashes for a little later…

E.G.

It Chaos’s turn. They are stationed in Denruba, and last turn they were able to get themselves 2 Successful Missions on Geaswin, but were repelled in the Major Invasion. This turn, they have decided to launch one mission on Geaswin and one on Deimo. If they succeed in the Geaswin mission, then Geaswin will become under their control. If they successfully defeat the Imperials in their Major Invasion of Deimo, then Deimo will be under their control, too.

Bob has volunteered to lead the Mission against Geaswin, and has decided to attempt a ‘Tunnel Insergence’. Chaos wants to weaken the defences of the Imperium on Deimo to better their chances of success, so they elect to undergo a ‘Lightning Raid’ on Deimo. Tim has decided to lead that attack, and Bill is going to help him. Tim is a Chaos Daemons player, and Bill is Chaos Space Marines, so Tim will be the Supreme Commander with his main detachment of Daemons, and Bill is a Commander of the allied detachment of Chaos Space Marines.

Tony will lead the Invasion of Deimo alone, because he’s tough!

On the Imperial Side, Gordon will try to deflect the Lightning Raid, Steve will be assisted by Andy in the Tunnel Insurrection, and Blake, Dan and Thomas will all try to repel the Invasion! To arms!

And that would be Chaos’s turn. After the battles, which could take several weeks to complete, players should email Alex (Trumpkin) with their results, any highlights, etc. He will collate it all and let everyone know what’s going on.

There will be an end date for the campaign, which will be January the 24th, 3 or so months away. On this date, a huge Apocalypse battle will be arranged between the sides of good and the sides of evil. This is where the final battle will take place! Each and every smaller battle will have a knock on effect, and later on they will affect this final battle.. depending on how much of the System your team controls when the Larger game takes place will alter how many tasty bonuses you receive during the Apocalypse game.

Each player will have a named character that will act as their General. After a successful mission, you may roll on the Level Up table, which I will attach below. However, if your General is killed, then he must roll on the injury table...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll write them up properly to make it a nice rulebook, but that'll come later.

What does everyone reckon?
MOST THRUDLIKE - THRUDBOWL 2016
Third Place at Exebowl II & Rookie Wonder at Exebowl II
Stunty Chamption at ACT3
Anything But A One! Podcast - Updated Weekly

Has a thing for Nurgle... No one knows why.
captyn bob
Flag: Wales

Re: 40k Campaign The Ebon Current Rules - First Draft

Postby captyn bob » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:06 pm

The imperials mistake is assuming that their blood belongs to them. In fact it belongs to Khorne, and shall be reclaimed in his name. Resistance is welcomed.

I like the rules presented. Can't see any problems. I assume there will be a list of mission types to choose from?
Trumpkin

Postby Trumpkin » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:19 pm

Yes, that's right. Working on the list at the moment.
Stunty Chamption at ACT3

Shaolin Wolf

Postby Shaolin Wolf » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:34 pm

Sounds like fun!
FIRST RANK, FIRE!
Stuart
Flag: Great Britain

Postby Stuart » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:09 pm

Think I may have created a monster....

I was kind of shying away from any kind of formal structure when I envisioned this. As a "slow" campaign the idea was more to see what had happened before with other games in the group, grab an opponent and play. Results of the battle could be fed back to the group for someone else to pick up the pieces of my failure/ fruits of my victory (less likely) and vice versa, or otherwise have a separate game within the common narrative.

If this is still possible within the turn based structure then all good. You've obviously put a lot of effort into this Alex and this could well shape up to be a very, very enjoyable campaign. Having a central depository for the battles so we know which narrative threads are left dangling is a great idea.

Just so long as people are free to take whichever mission they want, whether from a campaign list, rulebook or one they've come up with themselves. I think we should therefore aim for a "principle" rather than "rules" based approach. As in, you may bring your tournament conquering, all singing circus of mega-death victory, but expect furrowed brows, rolled eyes and the disapproval of your peers. Players are hopefully going to play within the spirit of the campaign rather than points scoring.

Think we do need to put an end date on this though. I'd originally suggested end of March, which at 1 game a month puts us at 5/ 6 games, though of course players can play as many as they like.

p.s. there is no "good and evil" in Warhammer 40k, just differing points of view....
Trumpkin

Postby Trumpkin » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:21 am

Stuart wrote:Think I may have created a monster....

Braaaaains....

Stuart wrote:I was kind of shying away from any kind of formal structure when I envisioned this. As a "slow" campaign the idea was more to see what had happened before with other games in the group, grab an opponent and play. Results of the battle could be fed back to the group for someone else to pick up the pieces of my failure/ fruits of my victory (less likely) and vice versa, or otherwise have a separate game within the common narrative.

There's not too much formal stuff, really! The only real formal thing is the limit to how many missions a team can do per turn. This is not necessarily set it stone, but I thought it would help keep the game at a gradual pace. Having a structure like this helps keep it interesting, I think, so people can see exactly what happened as an outcome of their battles.

And, compared to a lot of campaigns online, this is almost devoid of rules! There are campaigns with literal pages upon pages of rules, about requisitioning points, hex maps, building structures, starting the game with X points and keeping that list for the whole game (losing units as they die in games), etc. They tend to collapse under their own weight, which is why a simple approach is best.

I was thinking so people could have plenty of time beforehand to get their game sorted. If you arrange to have your narrative game 3 weeks in the future, then its easier to commit to it.

I wanted this slight structure to help solidify the teamwork style of play and to help keep things organised. It's not too intrusive, and I'm hoping it will still allow people to essentially do what they like. That's why the Main Invasion missions are left up to the players to do. If they want it to be a 1,500 point maelstrom game, then cool, or if they want a 4,000 point Kill Point game, then that's fine too.

I was wary of people overlapping, which is why I want the communication between teams. (will probably have to set up a little private thread on the forum, if that's possible!) That way, each person has their role, and no one is discounted. It's not a case of Battle X not making any difference to the narrative because Battle Y was essentially the same thing but had a different outcome.

The end date is changeable, too. I picked January just because it seemed like a decent amount time, though it depends on the length of the rounds. If I suggested 2 weeks for a turn, so 4 weeks for a round, then we ended in March, that would be 6 turns which should be a decent enough stretch.

Also, you won't have the obligation to play any games during your opponents turn, provided someone else will. So, if you can only manage 1 game a month, then on your team's turn you can do a mission, then not do any more until your next turn, but still remain an important part of the narrative. Just so long as your opponent has someone to play against, it's not a problem for someone to defend multiple times.

And, rule number 1, it's about having fun. People are free to disregard the rules and play for fun, just so long as their opponent agrees and they don't take the piss. :D

Stuart wrote:p.s. there is no "good and evil" in Warhammer 40k, just differing points of view....

HERESY!
Stunty Chamption at ACT3

Stuart

Postby Stuart » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:39 am

Ok. Its not what i originally intended but still looks like a lot of fun. Just so long as theres still scope for players to invent their own scenarios, spin off into grudge matches and organise their own games within the wider narrative.

Looks like this has really got the 40k mojo flowing again Alex! Strong point of 40k was always the fluff so i think everyone owes you a thanks for bringing it to the fore again.
captyn bob

Postby captyn bob » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:21 am

I think it looks pretty simple, and let's be honest all we really want is an excuse to play interesting friendly games of 4k semi-regularly.

The only thing im not sure on is the need to select a team leader, partly because theres no metric to do so, partly because I can't see much fun in following orders anyway.

Of course, id happily take on all chaos players in a carnage style king of the hill to vie for dominance Haha
Trumpkin

Postby Trumpkin » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:25 am

The leader is only for a battle-by-battle thing, and is really only to help with the Force Organisation Chart. The supreme commander of that mission uses a normal FoC, and each subordinate would use the allied detachment one.

Of course, people can just decide to go unbound!
Stunty Chamption at ACT3

captyn bob

Postby captyn bob » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:46 am

I think you've lost me now with force org. Sorry. I would think most if not all games would benefit from a standard force org.

-ok perhaps thats over zealous. You can fit quite a lot in an allied force org.
Trumpkin

Postby Trumpkin » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:55 am

Most of the games will be using a standard force org. It's exactly the same as normal, except that if more than one player is in the same mission, then each additional person uses the allied detachment rules. It just means that you won't get a mission with 3 players each bringing 2 HQs or 9 tanks or anything mad, basically.
Stunty Chamption at ACT3

Trumpkin

Postby Trumpkin » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:00 pm

Also, just because someone is the 'supreme cammander' doesmean they cab tell you what to do!
Stunty Chamption at ACT3

HistoricalGeorge

Postby HistoricalGeorge » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:25 pm

Can CSM players duel each other to gain power/command (and a roll on the chaos boon table)?
Sceleris

Postby Sceleris » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:27 pm

HistoricalGeorge wrote:Can CSM players duel each other to gain power/command (and a roll on the chaos boon table)?

You'd hope so! Nothing like a bit on inter-chaos rivalry to spice things up.
Trumpkin

Postby Trumpkin » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:09 pm

I'm ok with this, provided you don't go crazy. And don't forget, the loser will still have to take an injury...
Stunty Chamption at ACT3

Trumpkin

Postby Trumpkin » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:07 pm

How about something like this, George:

Chaos only rules -

Chaos Boons are temporary. The only way a permanent skill can be acquired is by levelling up. Apotheosis and Spawnhood results should be rerolled, at least until the last game.

Vying for Control –

Chaos players may elect to battle one another for the position of Supreme Commander for the next mission (if they can’t decide amicably!). A smaller game is played between two Chaos factions, to be organised between the two players. This doesn’t take up a ‘Mission’ from the main campaign. The winner of the battle is undisputedly the Supreme Commander of the next mission he or she undertakes.

Glory and Injury rolls are unchanged in these games, with the exception of a Glory roll is only obtained if the General inflicts one or more wounds on the enemy General, and the enemy General is later removed as a casualty.

Each player may only Vie for Control once per round.
Stunty Chamption at ACT3

Crazy Dragon

Postby Crazy Dragon » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:04 pm

Sounds cool - I'd like to spin it out past January if the momentum is still in place.

What about us Xenos players? I'd rather not be lobbed in with the teams - (ie Orks join Chaos and Eldar join Imperials) I'd like to be a random factor that arrives and cocks things up. How this would work I don't know. Really it doesn't matter too much to me as long as I get a few games -
Trumpkin

Postby Trumpkin » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:17 pm

Well, the idea I had for Orks was that they were sort of mercenaries. I'll post some of my rough ideas here:

The Orks

Mercenary Orks are an aggressive, capriciously minded bunch. One should never fully rely on them, as with any mercenary. Usually to secure the loyalties of mercenaries one would simply pay more money. The case with Orks, however, is a little more complicated.

Orks rarely desire money. The only currency they are really interested in is Teef, and that an Ork can aquire easily enough should the mood take him. No, imperial crowns or the heretical equivalent are not worth the hassle, as far as an Ork is concerned.

What does interest them is 'gubbins'. Gubbins could mean anything from a dead 'ard, right killy chopper to a dead killy and right 'ard shoota. It could be a powerful Tau pulse rifle, an esoteric Eldar Shurikan cannon or even something as simple as a fancy-looking Imperial snub revolver. It depends entirely on a) what the ork fancies at that moment and b) what the ork doesn't have enough of yet. This means that what may placate or satisfy an orky kontrakt one day may not do so the next. Many a prospective customer has learnt this bewildering characteristic to their detriment (and subsequent pain).

RULES:
For a player to make use of an Orky alliance, he must attempt to figure out the correct bribe to garner the ork's 'loyalty'. Each side in which an ork is going to fight must secretly either select 'shiny gubbins', 'shooty gubbins', 'stabby gubbins' or 'zappy gubbins'. The ork player must also secretly decide which he wants, and make a note of it. After each player as made their choice, the players reveal what they have selected.

If any of the players have guessed correctly, then they may take an Orky detachment of up to 15% of the points value of the match. The detachment is built and controlled by the orky player. For all intents and purposes, treat these orks as a Desperate Ally. They are considered part of the winning army exactly the same way a subordinate commander would be.

This lasts only as long as the single game, and will reset upon any further games involving the Orks.

Should no one pick the correct answer, or both players pick the same, then the Orky player is considered a 3rd (albeit small!) army, and should act accordingly. They are free to attack whomever they like, whoever looks at them funny, whatever they decide is worth crumpin'!

Who the orks are going to fight for should be determined at least 24 hours in advance. This is to allow the opponent to make suitable arrangements!

----------------

I'm still working on an idea for the Eldar...
Stunty Chamption at ACT3

Stuart

Postby Stuart » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:53 pm

Another alternative would be for an ork waaagh to be brushing against the edges of the ebony current. Imperial players must therefore struggle to contain the ork threat whilst simultaneously dealing with the chaos insurgency, further stretching their resources. As we have more imperial players than chaos this would work and mean orks don't have to be someone elses bitch i mean mercenaries.
Trumpkin

Postby Trumpkin » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:05 am

Stuart wrote:Another alternative would be for an ork waaagh to be brushing against the edges of the ebony current. Imperial players must therefore struggle to contain the ork threat whilst simultaneously dealing with the chaos insurgency, further stretching their resources. As we have more imperial players than chaos this would work and mean orks don't have to be someone elses bitch i mean mercenaries.

That could be an option, depending on the final numbers. I'm confident the teams will be balanced nearer the end of the sign up stage.

I suppose it also depends on what the Ork player wants to do!
Stunty Chamption at ACT3

Sceleris

Postby Sceleris » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:23 am

The other point to make is that the numbers don't actually have to be even - the smaller (numbered) side will either just end up playing more games or have larger forces (if playing what is supposed to be a doubles game it could just be 2 v 1)
Crazy Dragon

Postby Crazy Dragon » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:56 pm

As I see it, this mercenaries approach is at odds with the 'slow campaign' - I was really keen on this as I can't commit to regular meets (as a dad with a full time job and a solid hour each way commute who's building his own house) but the odd day a month will stop me going mad.

If other players want to hire me as a mercenary then firstly, I don't get to play a proper game, I just get to be a 15% add on and secondly I might not be able to make it on the given day.

I can try and fit in as best I can with the turn based system proposed but if in week 1 my side can launch 2 missions and 1 invasion - I might not be one of the 3 chosen to fight. Next week, I might have to fill in the hardcore in my new floor and not be able to fight . . . I can do my best with this but can we keep it as loose and flexible as possible please otherwise I'll just get ruled out of playing.
Trumpkin

Postby Trumpkin » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:09 pm

Sure thing, I'll figure something else out for you.

I was thinking it less of a 'players can choose whether to try and hire the orks' and more of a 'the orks have turned up, deal with it' sort of bag.

But as I say, I'll try to think of something!
Stunty Chamption at ACT3

captyn bob

Postby captyn bob » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:59 pm

OK- idea: Each player offers a certain number of points from their roster as a secret bid (say, 10 points, so in a 500 game they would only get 1490)
Total this for each side, highest bid gets control of the Orks as one of their team for that turn- but pays the points cost. Losing bidder doesn't lose any points, but is going to take an extra attack on the campaign map.
Trumpkin

Postby Trumpkin » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:19 pm

Hmm, but it still means the Ork player doesn't get a proper game...
Stunty Chamption at ACT3

captyn bob

Postby captyn bob » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:23 pm

..why not? his game can be full points
Stuart

Postby Stuart » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:46 pm

Maybe just keep things simple - orks or eldar play a standard game against whoever is free to face them. More imperial players than chaos so likely to be them, but not definite. Game can still have reprecussions for the two armies.
With the turn thing- we should not impose limits to the number of games or when they should be played. People like me will struggle with that so arrange a game and see where it fits. Check where the narrative is at. As Alex said, this is a loosie-goosie campaign. Otherwise we have tale wagging the dog and it starts putting up obstacles to people playing
Trumpkin

Postby Trumpkin » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:37 pm

Ok, so perhaps then there is no limit to Missions. How does everyone feel about this? Each time a mission is played on a planet, any ongoing effects will affect the next game on that planet, be it an invasion or a Mission. People will be free to do as much as they like, then.

I would still only really want 1 Invasion per round, otherwise it'll be pretty tricky to track what's going on!
Stunty Chamption at ACT3

Return to “The Ebon Current”