TURN ONE INVASION - DEIMO UNDER THREAT

Moderators: bluffreggie, Josh

Trumpkin
Flag: Seychelles

TURN ONE INVASION - DEIMO UNDER THREAT

Postby Trumpkin » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:19 pm

Hi all,

The Forces of Chaos are launching an assault upon Deimo. Since they have been victorious in 3 missions on that planet, it will already be falling to them regardless of what happens, but can the Imperials salvage some form of victory from the flames?

On Saturday the 15th of November, an Apocalypse game will be happening!

The points value is largely dependant on the players, but I'd say a good starting point is around 5-7,000 points.

If people can confirm whether they can get involved by the 13th of November, then we can adjust and finalise the points value. The points will be split evenly per team member (rounding down), i.e. if 4 players turn up for Chaos and 3 for Imperial, and the Points value is 5,000 points, then the Chaos players will each get 1250 points and the Imperial players each get 1,666 points. Of course, we can make it bigger if we end up with more players.

I have no idea whether BIG will let you shift tables around for Apoc games, so unless someone can confirm that they can, hosting it at the Duke might be a good idea.

The mission will play in the same way as a normal Apocalypse game, with the following alterations:

Use 6 objectives, placed in the same way as a normal Apoc game, but each individual Objective is a relic. They follow the rules for the Relics in the Relic missions. Scoring is done in the normal way.

-----

But why, I hear you ask Imperials, should you defend the planet when it is already lost?

Firstly, you can still earn Glory upgrades if you win.

Secondly, if your (specifically your own, not just your team) models are holding a relic, they can re-roll the Glory or Injury roll for the Invasion.

Thirdly, GLORY!

-----

After the success of the Chaos missions earlier this turn, the current knock-on effects are affecting the mission:
Chaos may:
Deep Strike 3 units of Infantry as a result of the Tunnels missions
Outflank 2 units of Infantry due to the Go In Quietly mission
(I rolled the d3 for you as I hadn't seen anyone else roll)
Reroll the dice to choose sides, go first/second and steal the Initiative, as a result of the Overrun mission

(am I missing any? Speak now or forever hold your peace!)

-----

Also, if there are at least 3 players for each team, here's an extra rule to make things interesting...

WAR CRIMES OF PASSION: You can reroll the results of the GLORY or INJURY tables imposed as a result of this battle. You must accept the second result. However, you may reroll as many times as you have Relics. i.e., if you are holding 3 relics at the end of the game then you can reroll 3 times! It just means your allies may not be able to... It's up to you whether you decide to hoard them or not!

Narratively, as well, if you feel an ally is being greedy with their relics, I entirely and wholeheartedly encourage you to, um, convince them to share them with you. (You may declare at any point in your turn that an allied unit is now an enemy unit! You can charge, shoot, whatever to them. But the moment you do, that unit can never be treated as an Ally for this battle. And of course, the diplomatic ramifications are important... This rule will have no lasting effect after this battle, at least from a crunch perspective.)

----

If you can respond to this thread stating whether you will be able to make it, then we can get this ball rolling.
MOST THRUDLIKE - THRUDBOWL 2016
Third Place at Exebowl II & Rookie Wonder at Exebowl II
Stunty Chamption at ACT3
Anything But A One! Podcast - Updated Weekly

Has a thing for Nurgle... No one knows why.
Josh
Committee Member
Flag: Great Britain

Re: TURN ONE INVASION - DEIMO UNDER THREAT

Postby Josh » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:56 pm

There is a dedicated Apocalypse / large games board at BIG, I am up for this.
faith is my shield

Postby faith is my shield » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:36 pm

The Thousand Sons will stand on the field of glory and help destroy any and all who stand against our allied forces! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Trumpkin

Postby Trumpkin » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:53 pm

I'll be here, too! Pugnus will show his face!
Stunty Chamption at ACT3

bluffreggie

Postby bluffreggie » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:46 pm

I'll be there for this
Shaolin Wolf
Flag: Wales

Postby Shaolin Wolf » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:48 pm

i'd like to be in, will confirm if I'm free. Anyone need Leman Russes?
FIRST RANK, FIRE!
faith is my shield

Postby faith is my shield » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:01 pm

space wolfs, let the sons of magnus help you meet your maker :twisted:
Kevx3

Postby Kevx3 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:57 pm

Unfortunately the angels will be away to lick their wounds (I won't be around bristol during the 15th :()
Well, it's been fun.
Sceleris

Postby Sceleris » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:24 am

Lord Vitaus and Death Guard are up for this.
Josh
Committee Member

Postby Josh » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:52 pm

Was in BIG today and reserved the Big table for this next Saturday. Should be awsome.
Trumpkin

Postby Trumpkin » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:45 am

Josh wrote:Was in BIG today and reserved the Big table for this next Saturday. Should be awsome.

You da man. Thanks for that!

Ok, let's get some updatage and explainage up in this thread.

----------

The game will be taking place on Saturday the 15th, which is this saturday. It'll take place at BIG, Bristol Independent Gaming, which is located here.

For easiness, that's 16 Clothier Rd, Bristol, City of Bristol, UK, BS4 5PS

I recommend we get started as early as possible, so how about 11am arrival for a 12pm start? Hopefully an hour to deploy and everything will be enough (though it rarely is!).

I also suggest we do the whole 'bid for time' way of deploying. Both teams will write down the amount of time (in minutes) they want to use to deploy. The team with the lowest amount deploys first, but both teams must deploy within the time chosen. Any models not deployed are placed in reserve. (though if you've put down 49 of your 50 guardsmen, some leniency can be given!)

----------

We will be playing Apocalypse rules. For those of you unfamiliar, or maybe you haven't played it for an edition or two, here's a brief summary of what you need to know:

Essentially, it's the same a huge game of 40k. You still move, shoot etc in the same way. The first major difference is that you don't use the FoC at all. Sometimes, you're not even given a points value, you just bring what you have! That could get a bit nuts this time, so we will impose a points value.

Super Heavies are allowed in the game, as are Apocalypse Formations. Bring out your big guns! Still though, no named characters, unless the majority decides against that. (though if anyone wants to bring Aetaos'rau'keres, I will shiv them).

So, if you're given 2000 points, just go nuts. Bring your character, but you can bring anything else you fancy. All tanks? Go for it. All Terminators? Sure! All Mutilators? Yes please!

----

Apocalypse is an unbalanced game, too. Don't go in expecting to win through use of applied tactics and planning, because Apoc is so S*** insane that it's pretty much impossible. That said, it is immense fun. So come along, do some heroics, blow some people up, and go home happy!

And take it from me, if it's the last turn and there's a 0.01% chance that that tank you haven't fired yet could scatter onto your own team and cost you the game, don't do it.

-----

Here are the differences in the rules for winning, deploying etc:

Each team places 3 objectives; one in their own deployment, one in their enemies, and one in the middle. Usually, these would use the ‘Mysterious Objectives’ rule, but instead they'll act as Relics in this game, following all the rules that Relics follow from the normal mission.

Strategic Assets were used in this game, too. Assets are simply extra bonuses in the form of cards that each player has access to. You pick a number for each team equal to the number of players on the larger team, so if it was 2 people vs 5 people, each team would have 5, split between the players. They are usually very powerful, so use them wisely.

Also, each player has access to what is called “Divine Intervention”. Divine Intervention can be activated by the player whenever certain criteria is met, and that criteria varies based on the armies. The armies of the Imperium can activate theirs when half of their units have been destroyed, and for a turn they all get Furious Charge and Rage. The Chaos armies activate theirs when half of the enemy’s units have been destroyed, and for a turn they get to treat any 1’s rolled as 6’s(!).

Finest Hour is another rule for Apocalypse. Once per game, each Warlord can call upon their Finest Hour which grants them a 3+ Invulnerable save, Eternal Warrior, the ability to issue an All Out Attack (designate a friendly unit, and that unit can move triple speed in the movement phase and can charge, but not run or shoot) and the chance to roll on one of three powerful tables of bonuses, with results ranging from tripling your attacks to having T:10 and a 2+ Invuln, to giving everyone within 24″ Feel No Pain, to getting a Strategic Asset. Useful! Though some are relatively pants, like the Warlord getting to reroll hits for a round. Hardly earth shattering!

Apocalypse scoring is done each Scheduled Break, which for us will be after every 2 turns, though perhaps we should shorten it to every 1 turn. You get 1 point per held objective in the first break, 2 in the second, etc. Everything is scoring in Apocalypse, and it’s all about which model is closest. Even if the nearest model is a zooming flier 40″ away, that player will still hold that objective. Though as we're playing Relics, I suppose vehicles aren't scoring.

The player with the most Strategic Victory Points at the end of the game wins. They can be gained by the following methods:

• Holding Strategic Objectives during breaks,
  • Destroying the enemy Warmaster (each player has a Warlord, each side a chooses a Warlord to be Warmaster),
  • Stopping a Finest Hour (ie killing someone during theirs),
  • Destroying a Super Heavy,
  • Certain Strategic Assets grant victory points for additional criteria.

In Apocalypse, it is possible to ‘spend’ Strategic Victory Points, too. If a Strategic Asset is particularly powerful, it might cost a point to activate. Additionally, each side may bring back one Model in each break (with 15 or less Hull Points/Wounds) at the cost of a Victory Point.

Reserves are done differently, too. You can bring them in whenever you want, so long as you are allowed. All Deep Strikers, fliers and Fast vehicles can come in on turn 2, where as everything else can come in after each Scheduled Break, without rolling.

A scheduled break is, you guessed it, a scheduled break. This gives the players enough time to eat, chill, tote up points, etc, as well as a few in-game events to happen. For example, you can bring back one Apocalypse formation per scheduled break for the cost of 1VP.

------------

Although I'm on the Imperial's side, I'll be taking a back-seat (relatively), and I'll mostly be making sure everything flows nicely. That's not to say I won't be involved in the battle :twisted:

---------

People currently interested:
CHAOS
Sceleris
faith is my shield
josh

IMPERIALS
Shaolin Wolf
bluffreggie
Trumpkin

So a 3v3 so far. In that case, shall we go for 9,000 points? 3k each?

I think that's basically everything. Any questions?
Stunty Chamption at ACT3

Trumpkin

Postby Trumpkin » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:47 am

Additional:

The way we did it before was having each team's turns lasting 30 minutes. When the time is up, it's the next players turn, and I recommend we do the same thing.
Stunty Chamption at ACT3

faith is my shield

Postby faith is my shield » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:56 pm

Sorry guys, I have the painter coming in on the 15th Nov and will no longer be able to take part in this large game. :roll:
Trumpkin

Postby Trumpkin » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:06 pm

Oh noes! That's ok, we can still go ahead.

Any other Chaos players want to join in?
Stunty Chamption at ACT3

Shaolin Wolf

Postby Shaolin Wolf » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:16 am

Afraid I'm going to have to put my begging hat on: any chance there might be a lift going to the game on Saturday? Its a bugger of a walk...
FIRST RANK, FIRE!
Loki
Flag: Ireland

Postby Loki » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:29 am

Sorry guys I'm away Saturday. :cry:

Hope it goes well.

D
Bristol Vanguard - 2015 WPS Blood Bowl Champions
Shaolin Wolf

Postby Shaolin Wolf » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:05 am

Any chance of a lift to BIG for the game Saturday then? I have cash monies...
FIRST RANK, FIRE!
Trumpkin

Postby Trumpkin » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:33 am

I'm getting the bus, so I can't help unfortunately! I'd love a lift as well!
Stunty Chamption at ACT3

Trumpkin

Postby Trumpkin » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:34 am

Ok, the deadline has reached us, so we can finalise the numbers.

It looks like it'll be a 3 v 2 battle, between Myself, Shaolin Wolf & Bluffreggie of the Imperials and Sceleris & josh of Chaos.

I recommend we still keep the points value at 9,000 a side, if everyone is still willing. We could even go higher, if everyone fancies it, but 9,000 seems a nice number.

There are a bunch of different mission types in Apocalypse, and I recommend you all look online for them. In the last Apocalypse game I played, we determined the mission type in advance. It was the 'The End of the World' mission, which was insane. I recommend we either do that one again or perhaps the warp storm one.

Here's a recommended timetable for the day:

11am - 12 arrival & deployment
12 - 1 Turn 1
1 - 2 Turn 2
2 - 2.30 Break 1
2.30 - 3.30 Turn 3
3.30 - 4.30 Turn 4
4.30 - 5 Break 2
5 - 6 Turn 5
6 - 7 Turn 6

This is obviously a rough timetable, and I highly expect it to go awry! That being said, 30 minute turns worked out pretty well last time, and we had over 30,000 points on table for that game.

How does this sound to everyone?
Stunty Chamption at ACT3

Sceleris

Postby Sceleris » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:55 am

"It looks like it'll be a 3 v 2 battle, between Myself, Shaolin Wolf & Bluffreggie of the Imperials and Sceleris & josh of Chaos."

Unfortunately it's now going to be Josh on his own as I've had last minute call-up to work
Trumpkin

Postby Trumpkin » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:02 am

Oh no! What I suggest, then, is I'll team up with Josh to make it more balanced, unless he wants to go against all of us? That would be cool in principle, but I don't know if it would work!

What do you think, Josh?
Stunty Chamption at ACT3

Stuart

Postby Stuart » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:27 am

What about getting xenos involved and deploying imperials between the xenos and chaos? Never played apocalypse so don't know if that would work
Trumpkin

Postby Trumpkin » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:29 am

I've been racking my brains thinking of how a 3 way 40k game would work, but to no avail. Though, if the Xenos players wanted to form a temporary truce with Chaos, that would be a-ok by me. A pincer movement style thing could be really quite spectacular.
Stunty Chamption at ACT3

Shaolin Wolf

Postby Shaolin Wolf » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:47 am

It's looking likely I will have to pullout too, simply due to hassle getting there. The carry cases I've ordered still havent arrived, and the amount of boxes to fit a 3000 point Guard army i'll have to bring if they don't come in time will be too unweildy for the bus...

So if it helps, I'll 'volunteer' to drop out, and maybe 2 v 1 will be easier? Then hopefully we can do the big mash up again another time...
FIRST RANK, FIRE!
Trumpkin

Postby Trumpkin » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:49 am

That's what I looked like with 8,000 points of Imperial Guard and Space Marines for the last game! Where are you coming from?
Stunty Chamption at ACT3

Shaolin Wolf

Postby Shaolin Wolf » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:57 am

Bedminster. The stupid thing is that it is the right side of the river, but their are no direct buses. And I have walked there... I got plenty of exercise...
FIRST RANK, FIRE!
Trumpkin

Postby Trumpkin » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:59 am

Come ooon, I'm coming from Yate! You can do it! :D
Stunty Chamption at ACT3

Shaolin Wolf

Postby Shaolin Wolf » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:07 pm

I'll see. Hopefully my cases will come today or tomorrow and it'll be straight forward enough.

But as someone who once left his DJ bag on a bus, containing hundreds of cds, many incredibly rare, I'm very wary of overloading myself with valuable stuff when on public transport...

(that memory has just caused a horrible pain in my stomach. They pass...but the pain never really goes away...)
FIRST RANK, FIRE!
Trumpkin

Postby Trumpkin » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:22 am

Ok all, it's the day before the game. It's pretty important that we can get an idea of numbers, so we can figure out what's going on.

Can people confirm whether they can still come or not? I reckon that if we can't do a narrative game, we can still do a fun game.
Stunty Chamption at ACT3

Shaolin Wolf

Postby Shaolin Wolf » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:46 pm

Still no sign of my cases. Looks like i'm out.

very frustrating... nearly finished paintingmy centrepiece model too...
FIRST RANK, FIRE!

Return to “The Ebon Current”