Why Has The Club Terrain Been Taken From The Duke?

Info and news regarding forum
Azzabat
Flag: Canada

Why Has The Club Terrain Been Taken From The Duke?

Postby Azzabat » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:48 am

I noticed tonight whilst up in the Games Room that all the club terrain has been taken away from The Old Duke. Not only that, but several boxes of my own personal 40K/Necromunda terrain have been taken as well.

Im assuming it was being used for an event this weekend and will be returned shortly? Whilst I'm happy for everyone in the club to use my terrain whenever they like, it would have been nice to have been asked first before it was taken

It's removal (and that of my own terrain) means there is no terrain at The Old Duke for myself, or the 40K players to use on their regular weekly games nights.

Can someone please enlighten me as to the reason for its unannounced removal, and when it is being returned?

Many thanks,

C J
I know the voices aren't real ... but they have such FASCINATING ideas!

C J = )
Azzabat

Re: Why Has The Club Terrain Been Taken From The Duke?

Postby Azzabat » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:06 pm

. .
Disclaimer: These are my own personal views and comments, and do not represent the views of Vanguard, The Old Duke, or any individual person. They are mine, and mine alone.

After making a few enquiries, I've discovered the reason why all the Vanguard terrain is missing from The Duke is that someone decided to remove it all from The Duke, and put into storage down at B-I-G. No notice. No reason. They just did.

Please be aware that It's removal means that the remaining terrain left at The Old Duke is the personal property of just 2 or 3 individual people.
These folks may be happy for Vanguard members to use their personal terrain. Or they may not. I don't know, I haven't asked them.
I do know that now there is insufficient terrain to play multiple 40K and Infinity games at the same time until it is replaced.

I am happy for folk to use my terrain, which once I have retrieved it all back to The Duke, I will put in boxes and clearly label for all to use. I'm also happy (and I'm sure Stu will be too) to make some more terrain for people to use at The Duke as it seems we are no longer welcome to use Vanguards' Terrain.

To that end, can people have a think about what sort of terrain they would like?

Solid, line of sight blocking buildings?
Flat areas for big units of troops?
Multi levels/walkways?
Buildings with removable roofs?
Ruins?
Natural features like rock outcrops/vegetation etc.

If you can, post up a few pictures as well, and those of us that play at The Duke will endeavour to make some suitable terrain pieces.

Again, these are just my own personal views/rants/ravings and represent no one but myself. As you can probably tell, I'm quite pissed off, and re-wrote this post half a dozen times in order not to offend certain people ... and ensure I can still go home
(just in case Canada is reading this!)

C J . . . = )

C J = )
Josh
Committee Member
Flag: Great Britain

Postby Josh » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:37 pm

So to clarify, the club terrain was removed from the duke by the duly elected terrain rep due to concerns about damage to club terrain due to mis use (not putting it away, not packing correctly, generally it appearing to have been bashed about).

I agree this shiuld have been communicated better to the club but that is where we are. As far as is known the only non club terrain swept up in the removed boxes waere some tank traps style items. Though if you think any personal items didngo missing give me a description and i will have a look for them during spoils in october.

Agree we need to have a conversation about how we support club members gaming st the duke going forward. There will be a committee meeting late october to discuss this.
Azzabat

Postby Azzabat » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:01 am

Thanks Josh. I'll have a good look at what's not where it should be and get back to you in time for the meeting.

Many thanks.

C J. = )

C J = )
Stu's Idle

Postby Stu's Idle » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:10 pm

There are a couple of Vanguard terrain boxes in the attic at the Duke, both 'Canyons' I think.
Flames Of War: Soviets
Team Yankee (6mm and 15mm): Soviets
Bolt Action: Soviets
DUST: SSU aka Soviets (anyone spotted the theme yet?)
Star Wars Armada: Imperials (Space Soviets, a long, long time ago)
Epic Armageddon: Imperials (Space Soviets, in the grim, far future)
Frostgrave: Dwarves (Short Soviets)
Vyper

Postby Vyper » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:45 pm

Azzabat wrote:Please be aware that It's removal means that the remaining terrain left at The Old Duke is the personal property of just 2 or 3 individual people.
These folks may be happy for Vanguard members to use their personal terrain. Or they may not. I don't know, I haven't asked them.
I do know that now there is insufficient terrain to play multiple 40K and Infinity games at the same time until it is replaced.

Hi all, I haven't been frequenting the forums much lately, as most of our activity has moved to Facebook, but I've had this thread bought to my attention recently.

All the Infinity-specific scenery, about six boxes or so on the top right shelf as you come in, is my own personal scenery and was purchased so that the Infinity community would have plenty of appropriate scenery to play on. There are boxes of Micro Arts Studio, Antenociti's Workshop and the FarFinerMiniFactory custom stuff along with some Mantic Battlezone, AT-43 and other assorted bits - although note that the majority of the Battlezone scenery at the Duke isn't mine, all the grey bits, for example.

I'm actually planning to get more scenery - a table worth of Bandua, some more FarFinerMiniFactory and additional Battlezone buildings which are currently in for repairs - to support our growing community. The aim is to be able to run monthly 6/8-man tournaments using good-quality scenery stored entirely at the Duke (as long as it's okay with Stu that we keep so much there)!

Unfortunately, there have been a few times recently where either bits of my scenery or entire boxes have been left out and I've had to spend time sorting it out and packing it away properly. A lot of the time even when it is put away it's all just thrown together and mixed up with no regard for its condition. Lately there have been a number of broken pieces showing up as well. I'm not pointing any fingers at any particular group (and have no interest in doing so) and I've also contacted the Infinity players to let them know about this and to see if we can make things work better for us.

A significant reason for me creating an independent collection of scenery is so that it could be taken to events, conventions and tournaments without having to give notice or worry about damaging other people's stuff. For this I need to be able to pick it up quickly and have everything at least reasonably sorted and ready to go at all times. It's also so that I can guarantee that we have good scenery available at all times specifically for the dense, LoS-blocking tables that Infinity needs.

As such, I think it'd be better if its use was reserved once the Duke has sufficient general-use scenery once more.

I definitely want to support the provision of club terrain and I've got a LOT of Hexagon/Platformer/Robogear stuff unassembled or new on sprue that I'd be happy to donate to the Duke if somebody is willing to take the time to assemble and paint it. I've also got a bunch of extra Mantic Battlezone stuff that is in need of TLC and might suit 40k better than Infinity. Both sets should be pretty good for Necromunda/40k.
Last edited by Vyper on Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Your local Infinity War Correspondent.
Check out my wargaming blog at http://www.lead-rising.com.
Monk
Committee Member
Flag: Germany

Postby Monk » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:29 am

From Vypers post there is a consistent theme appearing.

It's not your terrain so show some consideration and take bloody care of it!
My Painting - Http://thepaintingmonkey.wordpress.com
My Ramblings - https://twitter.com/MunkeyKungFu

Games currently playing
X-Wing| Board games Galore| Guild Ball | Warhammer Conquest | Game of Thrones LCG
Azzabat

Postby Azzabat » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:00 pm

I don't believe its wilful damage, or even people not being careful. I believe it's just a mixture of
- General wear and tear,
- People not being familiar with the terrain construction when they are handling it (I know which bits of my terrain I can safely lift it up by, and which I can't)
- Terrain being packed away ... improperly (?) i.e. Not how we owners/builders store it ourselves.

Sometimes it's just people trying to be too helpful. We've all been there. We need some buildings, some trees, some scatter terrain. We get a few bits out of 3 or 4 boxes, then can't remember which boxes it came out of. Or a different person is putting it away to the one who set it up. Hell ... half the time I can't remember which boxes I got my own stuff out of!

Don't get me wrong, I get verily pissed off when my terrain gets damaged or broken, but I realise this is a consequence of playing with or using stuff. (I think I have 1 bowl and 2 side plates left out of an 8 piece dining set.) Maybe it's because I'm older, or because I grew up with a younger brother, or because I know what humans are like. But if you use stuff, it will occasionally get damaged.

That said, these issues of terrain being damaged, and put back incorrectly, have been going on ever since I've been in Vanguard, and I've raised the issue myself at the last 2 general meetings, with suggested solutions. But nothing was done, so nothing has changed.

Stu has made great efforts to help with the shelving, providing boxes, labelling etc, but it's up to us all to take more care, and show a little more respect, and the Club General Meeting in a few weeks will be an excellent opportunity to move forward with ideas and solutions.

C J . . = )

C J = )
Azzabat

Postby Azzabat » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:42 pm

. .

We've managed to gather together enough suitable terrain to replace the Vanguard stuff, without having to use Vypers Infinity Terrain, so could I ask people not to use Vypers terrain, which usually lives on the shelves by the door and the money shelf.

The temporary terrain is mainly Cities of Death and Necromunda stuff, quite a mush-mash of colors and quality, but it's here at The Duke now, its for everyone to use, and at the moment it doesn't matter how it's packed away. So feel free to use it.

Stu and I are making a brand new bunch of terrain for people to play with at The Duke, and he's come up with some brilliant ideas to make packing away and storing the terrain simple and safe. In the meantime, it's Wargaming as usual.

CJ . . . = )

C J = )
Shaolin Wolf
Flag: Wales

Postby Shaolin Wolf » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:20 pm

Me and the usual gang I play with have generally been picking stuff out of boxes that haven't been marked 'do not use' or that are not clearly marked property of someone. If I/we have been using things we shouldn't have I can only apologise. I know I can speak for the guys as well as myself when I say we do try to look after everything we use and always put everything away when we are done.

However, as CJ points out, its not always easy to remember what came out of which box at the end of a night... as a tiny idea, maybe we could have discreet labels on the undersides of terrain with numbers corresponding to specific boxes? Or something like that...

Anyway, I am incredibly grateful for whoever does provide the terrain, and as my terrain creating skills haven't advanced much further than the 'empty pringles tubes and drinking straws' level of my teenage years I'm always astounded at how good it is. I hope the Duke does continue to be a viable place to keep playing as BIG is just a pain to get to for most of us, and we enjoy the Duke community feel. Also, no pub. Major issue.

But if I can help out in any way, I'd be glad to!

Liam
FIRST RANK, FIRE!
Azzabat

Postby Azzabat » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:25 pm

Don't worry Liam, stuff gets damaged, misplaced and misboxed, and Stu and I are on this. We're going to use the removal of the Vanguard terrain as an opportunity to make a load of terrain 'sets' for The Duke that will be easy to remember where they came from and where they go back to, and blend into the boards rather than just sitting on the table top. As we are both ex Army we're working along the lines of making it "Squaddie(idIot)Proof".

It's going to take a while but it'll be worth it. :D

C J = )
Josh
Committee Member

Postby Josh » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:33 am

Club position to be discussed at meeting, personal position is if you need any help (time, money, bits to make into terrain) im happy to help.
bluffreggie

Postby bluffreggie » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:33 pm

As josh has stated i am too happy to provide time to this to support the players.
Nekhromosis
Committee Member

Postby Nekhromosis » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:51 pm

Ok, so a few Sunday's ago I arranged to meet a follow club member at the Duke as it was more local for him. I rarely visit the Duke these days because after work, traffic and the like it is a nightmare for me to attend to game so I have been unable to check on the terrain on a regular basis.

Whilst at the Duke I noticed that the club terrain were all mixed up with items from others boxes both club and none club owned. No care had been made to place the items in the boxes, none of the bubble wrap provided in said boxes was used and some boxes were packed so that the lids could not be properly closed. All this leads to damage beyond simple use. All the Vanguard terrain are themed which can be identified by that theme or how it has been painted. All trees together, grey buildings together, red industrial buildings together etc etc. I have made efforts to populate the boxes so no one has to be a Tentris master when it comes to packing away. There really shouldn't be any excuse why the terrain should be packed in such a slap dash manner.

As I'm sure CJ and Vyper can attest, building terrain takes time, effort and money. In the case of the Vanguard terrain it has taken two club members considerable time, effort (and in some case money) to provide the club with cool thematic terrain for use at club venues and events. It is understandable that damage does happen, and I repair where needed, but it is not acceptable for terrain to be packed away with less care than players would with there own models.

Apologies for the lack of initial notice or communication on this but I felt an impacted needed to be made.

I am currently going through all Vanguard terrain with the aim to facilitate the Duke with terrain that can live there permantly that will be easy to pack and not be needed for club events.

CJ and Vyper, I can't shed any light on the terrain you mentioned. Any terrain I removed from Vanguard boxes I either placed in another boxe, place on a shelf or left out on one of the gaming tables.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie And with strange aeons even death may die."
radegast6@gmail.com
Flag: Poland

Postby radegast6@gmail.com » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:59 pm

is 15 mm still at duke? i will play some games next week i hope, and would like to use some.
Username: radegast6@gmail.com
Games -Warmachine -Khador,dreadballveer-myn,WarzoneRessurection-Mishima,2nd.ed.BauchausMilitia,Deadzone-all Warpath-Verr-myn,Infinity Ariadna, Necromunda Malifaux - GuildBoard Games-Risk,Zombies!!!,SpaceHulk,ProjectPandora,
Games to be Xwing, Wolfsung
My painting blog -http://miniaturesconversion.blogspot.co.uk/
Lavallin

Postby Lavallin » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:29 am

At least some of it should be. The 15mm (Battlefront) houses and cobbled roads are predominantly mine and Seb's on semi-permanent loan to the club, and I believe the wooden (4Ground?) stuff may well be Stu's. I'm not certain about the other roads, or the trees, fields, etc.
Stu's Idle

Postby Stu's Idle » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:59 am

radegast6@gmail.com wrote:is 15 mm still at duke? i will play some games next week i hope, and would like to use some.

Yes, it's all still here. The stuff removed was mainly for 40K buyt we're fixing that.
Flames Of War: Soviets
Team Yankee (6mm and 15mm): Soviets
Bolt Action: Soviets
DUST: SSU aka Soviets (anyone spotted the theme yet?)
Star Wars Armada: Imperials (Space Soviets, a long, long time ago)
Epic Armageddon: Imperials (Space Soviets, in the grim, far future)
Frostgrave: Dwarves (Short Soviets)
Lt_Hedgehog
Flag: St Kitts-Nevis

Postby Lt_Hedgehog » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:33 pm

Azzabat wrote:.
"Squaddie(idIot)Proof".

Good luck with that.

Not even rubber eyecups are "Squaddie-Proof"
(They tried eating it.)
Forces in work:
15mm BAOR Squadron / Company size - Team Yankee / Sabre Squadron

Current playable (Painted):
6mm West Germans / Bundeswehr: Battalion sized-ish - Team Yankee / Sabre Squadron
X Wing (Rebels & Imperial, No Scum)

Return to “General Forum Chat”