AoS here to stay?

Grab your moaning pitch forks, its "Age of Sigmar"

Moderators: Syneri, HistoricalGeorge

ThisCharmingDan
Flag: Bhutan

AoS here to stay?

Postby ThisCharmingDan » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:25 pm

Hi Everybody
I've never played AoS or even WHFB, but I saw the new starter deals that Games Workshop put online recently and some of those models are so nice that I'm tempted to give it a go. I was just wondering if you guys think its worth investing in the system at this point or if there might be another large shake up coming in a year or so? Also, how do you all feel about the game now that its been around for a while and you've all had the opportunity to get used to the new rule set?
Thanks for any help for a newbie
Badrott

Re: AoS here to stay?

Postby Badrott » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:34 pm

AoS is here to stay.

GW would be mightily embarrassed and out of pocket if they had to shelve it now. Whether they will stick at it for 30 years like they did with other systems remains to be seen obviously. There wont be a huge shake up like the one we saw.

Locally, I don't play it myself, having taken my fantasy gaming over to Mantic's Kings of War, along with several other people, whilst a number of other ex fantasy players are taking an interest in the ETC's updated version of WHFB. That said there are a few people who play AoS so you'll still get a few games here and there, although it doesnt seem to be played as often as the aforementioned fantasy systems at the moment.

There are a few AoS events locally, so you'll get a chance to play with your new toys if you go that route.

I didnt like AoS because I like the spectacle of a massive battle that WHFB used to provide me with and KoW provides me with now - so somebody else will have to critique the game itself.
Kings of War UK number one ranked Orc general.

2016 Bristol Vanguard Dreadball League Champions - Da Pirates (Orcs+Goblins)
ThisCharmingDan

Postby ThisCharmingDan » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:15 pm

I've heard a lot of people talk about KOW. Do the models have equivalents between the two systems? What I mean is that if I bought the Malignants starter army, would I be able to play them in KOW and find something in their codex (or rule book or whatever KOW has) that I could say they are?
Wiggles
Flag: Great Britain

Postby Wiggles » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:26 pm

I think you can play literally anything you want in KoW.

I'm even thinking of resurrecting my undead army. You know. Once I get every single other project done...
Talk is cheap. Come, face me!
740/1550/2355pts FoW Early/Mid/Late
Armada

Obligatory Wargaming Blog
All That Remains Project Blog
Sceleris

Postby Sceleris » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:04 pm

Basically yes.

KoW has an army list for pretty much any of the gw armies - while not all the models are directly comparable there is enough scope (with allies, which is freely allowed by the main rules, or count as) to use what you have.

They had a number of forces that were similar to the gw lists and released a second wave that filled in the gaps.

The game is also unit footprint dependent so exact model count/individual basing style is less of an issue.

The basic rules are free from Mantic's website and the army lists can be obtained from easyarmy.

The Malignant stuff you bought could be used in either of the undead style lists KoW has, plus possibly a nightmare force as well.
ThisCharmingDan

Postby ThisCharmingDan » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:41 pm

Thanks guys, all great advice. I'm finding it hard to think of a reason why I wouldn't buy that army bundle (other than I can't afford it).

I don't know if you can tell, but I really just like the sculpts and are trying to justify buying them just for their looks
Sceleris

Postby Sceleris » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:00 pm

Buying models because they look cool is, really, the only reason to get stuff!
Rob

Postby Rob » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:32 pm

I guess the only thing you'd need to use them in Kings of War is square bases.

AoS I actually like a lot now having played it in a couple of tournaments. With various independent comp packs it works well - the main residing issue is which models/armies still "exist" in the current edition - some (Chaos, Undead, Lizards, Orcs and Goblins, Stormcast, Skaven) are confirmed, others (varieties of elves, humans, dwarfs and tomb kings) it's hard to know which models to buy. So the puck you mention would be fine but I'd be care buying extra stuff outside those ranges already re-released.
Badrott

Postby Badrott » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:57 pm

Rob wrote:I guess the only thing you'd need to use them in Kings of War is square bases.

AoS I actually like a lot now having played it in a couple of tournaments. With various independent comp packs it works well - the main residing issue is which models/armies still "exist" in the current edition - some (Chaos, Undead, Lizards, Orcs and Goblins, Stormcast, Skaven) are confirmed, others (varieties of elves, humans, dwarfs and tomb kings) it's hard to know which models to buy. So the puck you mention would be fine but I'd be care buying extra stuff outside those ranges already re-released.

Actually the only thing you would need is square movement trays to put round based models on as kow is dependent on unit footprint not the models as dave mentioned. Of course your single models like monsters would need to be square.

ThisCharmingDan

Postby ThisCharmingDan » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:31 am

So in KOW tournaments, can you use models from GW or any other company?

What is the deal with the bases in Sigmar? Do they have to be circles? Why?
HistoricalGeorge

Postby HistoricalGeorge » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:36 am

You can use any models in KOW - I don't think there is a particular reason to use round bases in AoS though someone that has been to a tournament will probably know better!
Ralphy

Postby Ralphy » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:59 pm

Age of sigmar is a great game that sadly got a lot of bad press for being dodgy "out the box". The community comp has now sorted that problem. The bases are optional on squares or circles. I still have my dwarfs on squares but all new releases are using circle bases. If you do decide to buy one of the boxes I would check element games or firestorm for a small discount. Let us know if you ever want to try it out
We are a friendly bunch.
Dave Fraser
Flag: Micronesia

Postby Dave Fraser » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:09 pm

HistoricalGeorge wrote:You can use any models in KOW - I don't think there is a particular reason to use round bases in AoS though someone that has been to a tournament will probably know better!

looks better, can have some very minor impacts on gameplay as 25mm base <1" so if you 'rank up' squares you can get more attacks in.
Badrott

Postby Badrott » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:42 pm

ThisCharmingDan wrote:So in KOW tournaments, can you use models from GW or any other company?

What is the deal with the bases in Sigmar? Do they have to be circles? Why?

Yes, they even released a book full of armies for which they dont make minatures for to cater to historicals, GW armies and even a fishmen army.

Badrott

Postby Badrott » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:48 pm

Basically, if I think the answer to your initial question is, if you want to buy some rather nice fantasy models there are enough reasons to do so.

Whilst the community has gone in several directions it does at least provide you with options should one game be not to your taste.

ThisCharmingDan

Postby ThisCharmingDan » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:23 pm

Thanks everybody! All great advice
ThisCharmingDan

Postby ThisCharmingDan » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:14 pm

Well the good news is that I've pre-ordered that set of Malignants.
The bad news is that I've just had an email to say that my order has been delayed and won't be shipped for another week. I'm tempted to cancel the order and get it from somewhere quicker
:(
Jalston

Postby Jalston » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:59 am

http://www.triplehelixwargames.co.uk/pr ... ignants-2/

Try these guys, this is the best price I can find for the box you wanted :D
ThisCharmingDan

Postby ThisCharmingDan » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:51 am

That's who I ordered with. They aren't that far away from where I live as well, but their opening hours and my busy schedule mean that I've only been there once.
I can't wait to start painting these guys up.

Return to “Age of Sigmar”