Getting into TY

Moderator: Jamrowski

Graeme_the_Bald
Flag: Germany

Getting into TY

Postby Graeme_the_Bald » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:02 pm

I can't make the TY game tomorrow, but I'm interested in getting into it. Really not sure which nation to go for, so I'm curious what everyone else is doing and whether to chuck £ at 6mm or burn £££ on 15mm.
Stu's Idle
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Getting into TY

Postby Stu's Idle » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:16 pm

Well, I've got 6mm and 15mm Soviets but I think most people who are currently playing at the Duke are using 15mm. I'm planning to pick up the East German rules at least and will probably move my 15mm stuff over to the DDR.

Hopefully a few more comments below will be more helpful.
Flames Of War: Soviets
Team Yankee (6mm and 15mm): Soviets
Bolt Action: Soviets
DUST: SSU aka Soviets (anyone spotted the theme yet?)
Star Wars Armada: Imperials (Space Soviets, a long, long time ago)
Epic Armageddon: Imperials (Space Soviets, in the grim, far future)
Frostgrave: Dwarves (Short Soviets)
Lavallin

Postby Lavallin » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:54 pm

I've got Brits in 15mm. I have found the Battlefront plastics to be an absolute joy to assemble, and they look like they're going to paint up well too. I can see the sense in 6mm though.

In terms of factions: the Soviets got hit by the Battlefront myopia again, so once again they're basically a horde faction. A bit disappointing - even the Afghantsy briefing didn't really give them the hard-hitting veterans that people expected. Their tanks are lightly armoured but have strong (if slow firing) guns. Their IFVs are probably the best in the game so far (pending the Bradley in the US 2nd wave...), just ahead of the Marder in my book. However, as with the US below, the Soviets suffer from being about half of a full briefing (plus a mini-booklet for Afghantsy), bundled in with a game book which suddenly succeeded far beyond BF's expectations...

Similarly short-changed, US are a surprisingly bland faction so far. Yes, the Abrams is tough as, but with the early Abrams they only have the 105mm gun which isn't actually that punchy. Their infantry aren't that exciting either, and they have no recce. Yes, their artillery and air options are nice, but their AA is also a bit lacking. The US are slated to be getting either one or two more books (rumoured to be tentatively: "Stripes", and "REFORGER" for USMC and US Army respectively) and unless you have an overwhelming prior interest personally I'd recommend waiting until then to commit to US.

West Germans Best Germans. These guys have the most releases so far, with a full book (Leopard) and a booklet briefing (Panzertruppen). This gives them the widest range (6) of types of company they can currently build. The Leopard 2 is currently the best tank in the game, and some of the support choices mount the powerful HOT missile, which has a huge AT of 23. Their infantry platoons are small, but respectable, and their AA choices are outstanding.

And then the Brits. The Chieftain is a lumbering tank, with a primitive stabiliser on its gun such that it is the only tank in TY so far which loses RoF when moving. However, on the defence, it's great. Well armoured and sticky as anything. And the British infantry which will be backing it up are even more so. Taking to heart the lessons of why they were bad in WW2 FoW, the Brits have now loaded up their infantry platoons with masses of integral AT weapons - Milans and Carl Gustavs everywhere. British infantry seems to be the current gold standard. Other choices are generally average to above average; AA, artillery and recce are all decent enough. Air mobility is an interesting option, although I'm not convinced that unarmed Lynxes are really a match for Hinds...

I don't know enough about the East Germans yet, but unfortunately they look like BF are going down a pretty similar path to that for the Russians so far - slightly generic hordes. It would have been very interesting to have had a range of WARPAC options, ranging from hardened veterans with worn-out, out-of-date kit, through "regulars", through to untried troops driving factory-fresh cutting-edge tanks...
Graeme_the_Bald

Postby Graeme_the_Bald » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:40 pm

Thx for the advice, in light of which my decision may seem odd! I'm going to go for USA, for several reasons.
First, BF are bound to expand the US offering v soon, with Bradleys, air cav, M60A3s, and lots of other good stuff rumoured to be on the way. Second, most of the models are plastic. Third, I really like the MERDC camo schemes, so there's lots of opportunity to muck about with paint, camo nets, external stowage etc.
In game terms, most of the US kit is multi-functional. The M1 is a great all-rounder, and is an objective taker, whereas the Chieftain suffers from poor moving ROF and the high cost Lepard2 might be easily inundated by a T72 horde.
So, as a 50pt starter army I can go with Bannons Boys to get 5 M1s and 2 Cobras, and add 2 VADs for air defence. That's a pretty cheap option in £, and fairly quick to paint. The other two M113s can be ITVs. To expand I can add 3 mortar carriers and a FIST from one box set, or these can swap out for the Cobras. By the time I've painted that lot, I expect the new book(s) will be out, allowing me to decide how to incorporate infantry etc.
And of course, where else do you find 4xA-10 Warthog? :D 20 pts tho ... but AT27 Mavericks!
Lavallin

Postby Lavallin » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:44 am

All sounds reasonable, and my thoughts that I scribbled above is nothing more than free advice on the internet, and therefore worth no more than you paid for it... to say nothing of the fact that everyone has preferred playing styles, and that what works for me may well not work well for anyone else.

I definitely agree with you both on the 'foot in the door' principle, and on the versatility of the Abrams. It's as good on the offence as defence, which you certainly can't say for Chieftains. I maintain that the US currently has the weakest AA provision, but ought to be getting Stingers, Bradley AA, and possibly something like the Hawk or Chapparal.
Graeme_the_Bald

Postby Graeme_the_Bald » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:17 am

Chapparal makes sense; basically US version of the tracked Rapier model (which is a US vehicle anyhoo)

Bradleys will be interesting, likely similar to W German Marder. M2 Bradley had both HEAT and sabot ammo, plus ATGM, so could be fun. M3 was Recce, so fills that gap.

I like VADS; spent many a happy hour playing Operation Flashpoint and chewing up enemies with either VADS or Shilka! They lack specific AA ability, cos rely on optical sights and hurling out a S*** ton of ordance, but gain utility for the same reason, as can ROF7 anything!
Graeme_the_Bald

Postby Graeme_the_Bald » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:45 am

Made a start on some VADS, just to experiment with MERDC. Starting army of 50pts will be:

HQ 1 x M1 8pt
2 x 2 M1 platoons 32pt
2 x Cobra 7pt
2 x VADS 3pt

If Stripes isn't out by the time I paint that lot then it will expand to:

HQ 2 x M1 16pt (2nd HQ is useful for missions with reserves)
M1 plat 4 x M1 32pt
M1 plat 4 x M1 32pt
4 x Cobra 14pt
4 x VADS 6pt

After which I can reduce one M1 platoon to 2 and add other stuff in. By which time I'll be buying Bradleys and infantry, hopefully.

Real shame that the A-10 is overpriced, both in points and £, cos it's a real icon. But then, I've never really been all that fussed about lists based on good sense ... :)
Lavallin

Postby Lavallin » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:40 am

Sounds like quite a scary list, to be honest - 10 Abrams should not be underestimated! (Although I initally mis-read your post, and thought you were adding the second tranche to the first, for a total of 15. That was terrifying...)

If you fancy a practice game at any point, noting that my stuff is in various levels of being unpainted and partly painted, I'm very happy to do so, at either 50 or 100pts.
Stu's Idle

Postby Stu's Idle » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:34 pm

Ditto
Flames Of War: Soviets
Team Yankee (6mm and 15mm): Soviets
Bolt Action: Soviets
DUST: SSU aka Soviets (anyone spotted the theme yet?)
Star Wars Armada: Imperials (Space Soviets, a long, long time ago)
Epic Armageddon: Imperials (Space Soviets, in the grim, far future)
Frostgrave: Dwarves (Short Soviets)
Graeme_the_Bald

Postby Graeme_the_Bald » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:17 pm

Thx for the offer of games, but I think I'm a while away from game readiness. Will be sure to let you know as soon as I am tho
Jamrowski
Committee Member
Flag: Christmas Island

Postby Jamrowski » Fri May 05, 2017 3:53 pm

A few of us are playing TY on a regular basis now at the Duke (all still new-ish) to everyone, so if anyone is interested, feel free to join us on a Wednesday Evening (currently playing anything from 55pts <minimum pts for anyone fielding 5x 'gribbly' West German Leopards> up to 80pts)
Team Yankee: US / Soviet Armour
Flames of War: EW British Armour / LW US Armour
DUST Tactics: Allied / USMC

Return to “WW3 / Modern Wargaming”