2018: Rumour / Lies?

Moderator: Jamrowski

Jamrowski
Committee Member
Flag: Christmas Island

2018: Rumour / Lies?

Postby Jamrowski » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:14 am

Allegedly 2018 will bring us:

- New / Updated V4 Aligned Team Yankee rule book (possibly the big Summer / June release)
- New NATO Army book (French, Dutch, Canadians etc) and I assume a smattering of new models to coincide with release
- New / Updated British Army book

.....No ‘other’ WARPAC nations book until 2019 however (and still no sign of M1A1’s, Bradley’s, Blackhawks or Apaches??)
Team Yankee: US / Soviet Armour
Flames of War: EW British Armour / LW US Armour
DUST Tactics: Allied / USMC
Graeme_the_Bald
Flag: Germany

Re: 2018: Rumour / Lies?

Postby Graeme_the_Bald » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:04 pm

There’ll be a Gulf War version of TY, with all the toys. Once they’re released then nothing to stop anyone from painting them green and playing them in Europe.

Hopefully they’ll take the opportunity to fix V4 when they align with TY, rather than another cludge
Jamrowski
Committee Member
Flag: Christmas Island

Postby Jamrowski » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:20 pm

Graeme_the_Bald wrote:There’ll be a Gulf War version of TY, with all the toys. Once they’re released then nothing to stop anyone from painting them green and playing them in Europe.

Hopefully they’ll take the opportunity to fix V4 when they align with TY, rather than another cludge

A Gulf War version would be awesome! (I’m tempted to paint some of the Brits I’m hopefully getting for Xmas in a Desert Colour scheme!).

BF have seemingly gone quiet in relation to an updated British book in ‘18 (just as I was getting excited about the prospect of Challengers <the new Skytrex resin model looks amazing!>); possibly another false dawn (fuelled by fans?) in a similar way to Stripes not containing M1A1’s, Bradley’s or Apache’s :( (Still can’t believe Sgt York is in the book!)

Not quite the same but (talking of the desert...) the updated V4 aligned (allegedly!) ‘Fate of a Nation’ is due June 2018 (Surprised the original never really took off - I played a couple of games and enjoyed it......quite unique units etc made it fun <and actually quite well balanced>); plastic M60’s and T55’s May generate more interest this time around (I’m also keen to see how the link up with Osprey Publishing works.....)

Merry Christmas
Team Yankee: US / Soviet Armour
Flames of War: EW British Armour / LW US Armour
DUST Tactics: Allied / USMC
Graeme_the_Bald
Flag: Germany

Postby Graeme_the_Bald » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:11 am

For me, FoN never felt that it distinguished itself from LW FoW to make it worth the investment of time & £ in the models (which were all resin & metal). IDF were effectively Brits/Americans, with upgunned Shermans and Sho’t Centurions, while the Egyptians were Russians in all but name, with Jordan as a strange blend of the two. Maybe rebranding it as ‘Early TY’ and adding the Yom Kippur war will help, but I for one will be keeping my powder dry for Late TY and all the 90s desert toys.
BTW, Peter Pig does some very nice IDF figures, and some very nice USMC boys in early 90s kit. I plan to paint a load of them for TY, then more in desert colours for TY late. The BF figures for US seem to be v poor quality to me; I bought one Mech team a while ago and now only plan to use the Dragon teams, with the rest PP figs.

Return to “WW3 / Modern Wargaming”