The Thaig and Party Name (Old)

Moderator: DM_Tudor

DM_Tudor
Flag: Great Britain

The Thaig and Party Name (Old)

Postby DM_Tudor » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:33 pm

So! A lot happened over the course of Sessions 12 and 13, and the end result was that your party was awarded the Castirn thaig to do with as you wish. To help you make the place secure, Vicar Divine Karim has afforded you the aid of her own people, as well as acolytes from the temples of Moradin and Erathis.

My questions are then this:

1) What name did you have put down on the document that legally names you as owners of the thaig? This name is important as it is what you will be known as within Anorok and associated dwarven cities, and likely beyond (depending on your notoriety).

2) What things do you want to do to prioritise the defence of the thaig? Any breaches you want to clear, or defences you want to put in place?

3) What "additions" or changes do you want to make to the thaig that the Vicar Divine might be convinced to install/perform?

Keep in mind that both points 2 and 3 will require a degree of common sense and diplomacy. The Vicar Divine is respected but not in possession of infinite resources, and her political influence has taken a severe hit due to her treatment of the Lords (with the possible exception of Gaim).

Feel free to discuss! I would like definite decisions to be made before Session 14.
Vencent
Flag: Wales

Re: The Thaig and Party Name

Postby Vencent » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:18 am

I have a suggestions for our name
Arcane Brotherhood
SpaceCake69
Flag: Greece

Postby SpaceCake69 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:44 am

While Arcane Brotherhood sounds cool and all, not all of us are arcane practicioners ^_^

Hmm, my first suggestion is 'Deathwatch'.

You know, delivering death to evil while keeping watch for undead forces, necromancy etc. Makes sense with our setting plus i think Kumori will like this, since it also fits with the whole Raven Queen philosophy. And we need Kumori to be happy so he wont kill us accidentally or otherwise :P
Plus, Deathwatch from Warhammer 40k, nuff said
SpaceCake69
Flag: Greece

Postby SpaceCake69 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:00 am

Btw for 2) and 3) personally i would like to see a map so i can have better understanding of the place/surroundings
DM_Tudor

Postby DM_Tudor » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:32 am

Drawing up a map for Thursday. For now, try and go by memory.
Eldeth

Postby Eldeth » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:03 pm

I counter Arcane Brotherhood with Divine Sisterhood!
I think our name should reflect Torm and propose a compromise with:
Stormwatch,
Stormguard,
Stormwardens,
Agents of Storm,
The Storm!!!
StormOwls, sorry, StormWolves.
Whipet92

Postby Whipet92 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:28 pm

I'm still thinking about names, but I feel that as this is a name for the party it should attempt to represent all (Or none) of our characters, be it the party's goals, aspirations, or differences. So while all the above are good names that I like, I don't think pigeon holing the party as one gender, or one weapon proficiency/skill set, or punny followers of the same one deity would be agreeable to the rest of the characters. Also, Odo doesn't only want to be associated with death :P.
I'm trying to think of some that either represent us all, or represent none of us...I'll be back
Rgds,

Brother Odo
DM_Tudor

Postby DM_Tudor » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:06 pm

Could always default to "The S***." XD

But seriously, looking forward to seeing what you all come up with.
Whipet92

Postby Whipet92 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:46 pm

Dammit, names are hard! :roll:
The best I've come up with so far is HELP - Hunting Evil Like Prey. (Or Enemies)
"We really need HELP." "HELP is here!" "We hired HELP." "HELP, SAVE US!" "Have a second HELPing of justice/pain!" :lol:
Rgds,

Brother Odo
ZeitAki

Postby ZeitAki » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:20 am

I like DeathWatch.
Maybe Shadows... Since we come like the shadow and rid people of problems. We are hear say and do what needs to be done.
Or shibui which is Japanese for balance of complex and simplicity
Vencent
Flag: Wales

Postby Vencent » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:35 am

I do like H-E-L-P
But here is another suggestion Kurama
DM_Tudor

Postby DM_Tudor » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:13 pm

Whipet92 wrote:Dammit, names are hard! :roll:
The best I've come up with so far is HELP - Hunting Evil Like Prey. (Or Enemies)
"We really need HELP." "HELP is here!" "We hired HELP." "HELP, SAVE US!" "Have a second HELPing of justice/pain!" :lol:

Do you mean you hunt them like a bunny hunts a wolf, or hunt THEM like they're the bunny?
DM_Tudor

Postby DM_Tudor » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:05 pm

No further input on this? Come on guys! Would like a decision before Thursday, as you'd have had two weeks.
Mitch_136

Postby Mitch_136 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:11 pm

For the name, I wondered if there were any great heroes or adventurers in the world's past? I thought we could be named something along the lines of 'Followers of _____.'

I also think some decent words to be based around that wouldn't be representative of one person are included in some of the names suggested. Things like 'Wardens,' 'Guard,' 'Watch,' possibly 'Strike,' 'Force,' or 'Guild' seem like decent words to base the name around as they're not too specific.

I think it would be hard to find something that represents us all but maybe something that does for as many of us as possible, for example: Obsidian is a type of stone, which reflects Ilithag and Eldeth, it's black, linking to our elf that likes to hide in the shadows, formed by volcanoes, like the fire in Seek, (maybe the cracks of the volcano would sound like a storm, linking with Torm?) It would also give us a signature material/object to adorn ourselves with as an indicator of who we are. I guess I'll just leave this here too, 'Well-crafted obsidian blades, can have a cutting edge many times sharper than high-quality steel.' This started out as a random example but I've become more fond of it as I've been writing :D

'Obsidian Wardens' sounds F*** cool.
ZeitAki

Postby ZeitAki » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:45 pm

Good shout Mich.
I like the name. I like Warden's sounds like a proper group.
Like we are wardens over the land. We protect against evil forces, some of us in the light. Some of us with knowlege, others from the shadows. We are the protecters of the people.

If we go with the name obsidian wardens then we should call the thaige either "The Rock", " Warden's keep "," Obsidian".

PS
The thaig I only need a small room to sleep, and one large room for tinkering and growing plants.
But I think we should set up our base with guards we pay and organise setting up a trade route/trade house for the city of anarok. This shall get us both an income, security to pay with it and get our names around.
We can also see if we can send messages to the dwarf cities to maybe secure trade through the under dark and say will help trade faster with above ground.
DM_Tudor

Postby DM_Tudor » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:50 pm

Not bad ideas. But you will need money beforehand to make most of that happen - but when you have it you can certainly try and recruit guards.

You would need to have something worth trading, but you have a blacksmith and other party members with training, so it's not impossible as plans go.

As a side note though, to establish trade with dwarf cities you would need to clear out the Deep Roads that the thaig originally connected to: since the Castirn Shield Guardians went missing, those Roads were never patrolled or watched, making incursions from other nasties very likely. But if you could clear them, and convince the dwarven cities that you had something to offer, then it could prove very worthwhile.
Seek
Flag: Canada

Postby Seek » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:17 am

I would be all about setting up trade routes. Our thaig being a gateway of trade into Anarok makes sense.

(For Seek personally, it'd hopefully be a means to getting her hands on rare books and artifacts of religious significance)
Whipet92

Postby Whipet92 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:31 pm

I like obsidian wardens!

Odo would like a small room with a pallet to sleep on (his lifestyle is poor). He would quite like a place for his woodworking and potion making but will likely only mention it once and wouldn't be insistent.
The thaig will be massive for just our party though, so could make some rooms to house many others like dorms in case we get guards or need to shelter people? Have a holding cell area? A multi-faith room?

In terms of defence, well there are quite a few breaches, and areas that are blocked, So I think the breaches such as the dynamite should be fixed, walkways and tunnels repaired, blocked passages (water or otherwise) cleared including the passage to the deeproads. Should ask the dwarves If there are any hidden tunnels in that we can't see (they are masters I'm sure they could identify them). Once all routes have been uncovered, keep the main exit to the surface open, and have the deeproads passage barred from the inside so we can still access if we want, then maybe one or two escape tunnels that we have cleared, secured, and know where come out?
Rgds,

Brother Odo
DM_Tudor

Postby DM_Tudor » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:02 pm

Certainly doable! The thaig was believed to have two levels to it when it was functional, but at this time you only have access to the one. Whether you want to risk clearing the second, or sealing it off and just fortifying the first is up to you.
Mitch_136

Postby Mitch_136 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:24 pm

In terms of income and what we want to do with the thaig, I think it would be awesome to basically create a guild of adventurers that could go out and do things for themselves and bring us back loot and gold. I realise this would need a lot of setting up in terms of having to find people willing to adventure, training them, equipping them feeding them etc. so maybe not the best idea as we probably want time to actually go and adventure ourselves. But yeah, if we're going to have a forge, a plantation, woodworking tools, libraries and everything, kind of makes sense to extend all those facilities to equipping others. I also love the idea of the Wardens not just being the one group of us, and that there are multiple groups that go out and really build our renown as heroes in the world. I would really like to try and extend to the bottom floor of the thaig to accommodate this. Also I like the sound of Warden's Keep for sure.

In terms of defenses, with the threat of the umberhulks still pretty real within the thaig, I'd love to square up to Geim and go hunt them with him (I believe Ilithag could possibly convince him to do this.) Alanora could maybe have a waterbreathing potion that could help us open up that staircase that was flooded and attempt to see what the F*** is going on in the lower levels of the thaig, as we have no idea what's going on down there and I really don't want to just block it off when we could have a whole other level of thaig. Maybe we need some religious help when dealing around where we fought the king and the lower levels where the tainted dwarves were dwelling in terms of removing the demonic presence from down there. I think James covered the entrances and such very well. With the presence of the temple down near the thaig is it likely that some followers would want to settle in the thaig, or more likely that the religious paraphernalia is moved into Anarok?
DM_Tudor

Postby DM_Tudor » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:17 pm

Loving these ideas. :-D

Unless I hear any objections between now and Thursday, I am going to assume the name of the group to be "Obsidian Wardens" - if no one thinks to object, or propose a better alternative, after two weeks worth of discussion time, then they've no right to moan later. :P :D

I will sketch out the thaig for everyone on Thursday, so you can properly begin working on things and planning. As mentioned before, this coming Session will focus primarily on finishing off any "prelude business" you wish to, before we advance a few weeks ahead in-game to when the campaign begins.
Seek
Flag: Canada

Postby Seek » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:30 pm

Seconded Mitch's idea of exploring the flooded areas for sure.

The idea of creating a guild of adventurers is interesting... from a gameplay perspective, it could mean we have a roster of NPCs we could pull from to fill some specific gaps in our group abilities if we know we're going to be facing certain types of obstacles, be it in combat, exploration or even the mundane out-of-dungeon skills/life stuff. Would need to have some sensible limits imposed on it however, both for balance and to stop combat slowing to a crawl from too many characters.

Re: all the room we have, AirBnB has taught us that it's a money-making opportunity waiting to happen. Seriously, the financials are just too appealing. Not only could we be a great trade conduit for those who want to start business relations with Anarok but don't yet have backing or writs, but we could provide PREMIUM COST accomodation for those waiting to get in.

Or what about all the Dwarves in Anarok who are getting tired of above-ground living and want a nice place underground that's within commuting distance? We'd be to Anarok what Brighton is to London. Two years later the Thaig will be completely gentrified and we'll make a killing off rents.

We're gonna be rolling in gold, guys!

Return to “Legends of Allansia Campaign”