"Bleaching" clothes

For the enthusiast who likes to make, break and recreate all things game related! Discuss painting, converting, scenery etc.
Wiggles
Flag: Great Britain

"Bleaching" clothes

Postby Wiggles » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:00 pm

So, the first bunch of zombies have entered the paint queue (they've been hanging around since Necrostasis if CJ's watching and I know he is :P) and for now I think I've going to just give them nice solid block colours and highlight then maybe try out that army Army Painter dip thing (I saw a video and it seems to work) but for future zombies I want to "bleach" a lot of their clothes.

So looking at this pic, the zombie in the centre left is clearly wearing what was once a yellow dress, now bleached and covered in grime. I was wondering if anyone could think of an effective way to simulate that. Should I mix yellow with a little brown, very light brown drybrush? Would that work with the dip? Should I use a brown wash instead?

In fact, whats the difference between using the dip and just using a sepia wash? Any general pointers on using the army painter dip?
Talk is cheap. Come, face me!
740/1550/2355pts FoW Early/Mid/Late
Armada

Obligatory Wargaming Blog
All That Remains Project Blog
Azzabat
Flag: Canada

Re: "Bleaching" clothes

Postby Azzabat » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:10 am

like that you always ask really interesting questions Seb (and pictures of Zombies, what could be better!)

I've never dipped so I can't comment, but I have used basic block colors and then washed all over with Vallejo's Earth Wash and that came out quite effective. It's also quick which if you have a horde of Zombies to do I'd highly recommend. Like you I've seen tutorials on dipping and the results look good for the effort expended.

Personally for grease and grime I'd go with a darker color of the "original". So for the yellow dress mentioned I'd start with a brown like Plague or Averland Sunset (are they still called these?) followed by a limited highlight of Golden Yellow on a few highly raised/exposed areas. Knees, elbows, that sort of thing. (Though you may want to do the reverse and make these areas darker to represent contact points with the ground from crawling etc.) Then a general wash of Sepia with a final wash of Devlan Mud or Nuln Oil along the hems/cuffs, i.e. the very bottoms.

C J . . . = )
I know the voices aren't real ... but they have such FASCINATING ideas!

C J = )
Wiggles

Postby Wiggles » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:17 pm

Azzabat wrote:.
like that you always ask really interesting questions Seb (and pictures of Zombies, what could be better!)

Well, I'd hate to be boring :P

And thanks!
Armada

Azzabat
Flag: Canada

Postby Azzabat » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:06 pm

I know the voices aren't real ... but they have such FASCINATING ideas!

C J = )
Wiggles

Postby Wiggles » Sun May 15, 2016 8:29 pm

Armada

Return to “Hobbycraft”