Aging brushes

For the enthusiast who likes to make, break and recreate all things game related! Discuss painting, converting, scenery etc.
Dalkius
Flag: Great Britain

Aging brushes

Postby Dalkius » Fri May 20, 2016 5:21 pm

I've bought a resin model (hasn't arrived yet) and I found this thing from forge world https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/resources/PDF/Datasheets/Working_with_ResinFW.pdf - near the top of page 3 it talks about cleaning the model with an old toothbrush and makes it seem like an old brush is important (I assume it's a bit softer?). I don't happen to have an old toothbrush lying around, so was wondering if there was a way to 'age' a brush quickly. Any tips? (Tried google, and couldn't find anything.)
Dave Fraser
Flag: Micronesia

Re: Aging brushes

Postby Dave Fraser » Fri May 20, 2016 6:49 pm

Old doesn't overly matter you can buy softer toothbrushes as new if you were really bothered but if you don't have an old toothbrush lying around I'd just buy a cheapest on display supermarket one.
Dalkius

Postby Dalkius » Sat May 21, 2016 8:04 am

Yeah, I was planning on just getting some cheap brush, but the way it stressed that it should be old
thoroughly scrub each part with an old (and we stress old) toothbrush
I wasn't sure if you were in danger of scraping away detail or something (I've never worked with resin before).
Azzabat
Flag: Canada

Postby Azzabat » Sat May 21, 2016 8:52 pm

Can you give a context of that sentence that was used? Sometimes old is used in place of 'disposable'.

For example when I am using liquid latex on my props, any brushes I use are basically "one use" because the latex dries solid. Therefore I use 'old' brushes.
I know the voices aren't real ... but they have such FASCINATING ideas!

C J = )
Dave Fraser
Flag: Micronesia

Postby Dave Fraser » Sun May 22, 2016 7:30 am

I'd say not in danger unless you scrubbed ridiculously hard or it was particularly fragile resin.
Dalkius

Postby Dalkius » Sun May 22, 2016 8:19 am

Here's the entire section:
Washing

You may find that the components of your kit have a slight glossy sheen to them.This is caused by the release agent that our Production team use to remove the parts from the moulds.

You will need some warm water and a mild abrasive cleaner such as washing-up liquid. Simply place the parts into the soapy water and leave them to soak for 5-10 minutes, then thoroughly scrub each part with an old (and we stress old) toothbrush. This will ensure that any traces of release agent are removed, and you can then remove the parts, rinse them thoroughly and allow them to dry.

The glossy release agent can prevent undercoat and paint from properly adhering to the model when it’s complete, and the scrubbing
also gives a very slight abrasion to the surface of the model that aids the bonding of super glue.

I didn't feel from that that 'old' just meant 'disposable', but opinions can differ.

The last paragraph does talk about specifically abrading the surface (for reasons I find completely understandable), but if I'm not in to much danager I'll just try to be careful. I'm not sure I could recognize a particularly fragile resin until I did something catastophic, but most of the sprues I've seen come with some information printed on them, so hopefully I can just practice on that.
Stu's Idle

Postby Stu's Idle » Sun May 22, 2016 9:38 am

If the resin is soft enough to be seriously 'abraded' by a toothbrush (old or not) then there's something wrong with the resin, in my opinion.

I do think they are saying 'old' as in one you definitely won't be using as a toothbrush ever again, not that it needs to be well used and therefore soft.

I'd be more than happy to take a quick look for you next time you're at the Duke... not that I'd necessarily know much more than you do.
Flames Of War: Soviets
Team Yankee (6mm and 15mm): Soviets
Bolt Action: Soviets
DUST: SSU aka Soviets (anyone spotted the theme yet?)
Star Wars Armada: Imperials (Space Soviets, a long, long time ago)
Epic Armageddon: Imperials (Space Soviets, in the grim, far future)
Frostgrave: Dwarves (Short Soviets)
Dalkius

Postby Dalkius » Sun May 22, 2016 2:21 pm

Sounds like I got completely the wrong end of the stick there, then. Wouldn't be the first time.

Thanks for the help.
Azzabat
Flag: Canada

Postby Azzabat » Sun May 22, 2016 6:24 pm

As it specifically mentions toothbrushes I'd take that to mean 'old' as in 'disposable'. (You certainly don't want to be using it on the old toothy pegs once you've had it in W.U.L.) Also 'old' tooth brushes have bent and twisted bristles that get into all the crooks and nanny's really well.

On the subject of tooth brushes ... have they stopped making Firm ones? All I can find these days are Medium or Soft.
I know the voices aren't real ... but they have such FASCINATING ideas!

C J = )

Return to “Hobbycraft”