Dave paints stuff

For the enthusiast who likes to make, break and recreate all things game related! Discuss painting, converting, scenery etc.
Dave Fraser
Flag: Micronesia

Dave paints stuff

Postby Dave Fraser » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:56 am

Carried over from the other forum, over the last 3 years I've painted the following model count:
2011 -538
2012 - 366 (leap year, so 1 per day :) )
2013 - 356
2014 Jan - March = 57

This was finishing off my TK figs, a bit of HE stuff and starting to finish off my Brets (still got 6 peg knights and a mage to go).

Having had a baby I've lost all my painting time but did still find some time to sit down and glue some more basing material onto my daemons:

If I had the time I'd probably go back and touch up a few of the units a bit further, the horrors are now looking a bit dull and need some sharper highlights and the plague drones could use some work just to bring the standard up. But I doubt I'll do that any time soon as I'm looking to the next army as ever.
Dave Fraser

Re: Dave paints stuff

Postby Dave Fraser » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:44 pm

Finally got brush on a model again, here's the first of what will be my peg knights.

Needs a weapon & shield added, weapon was a super thin and flimsy sword so snapped off at some point. May try a lance if angle of the arm works.

Model is an ex-illis archangel fig. Sadly they now seem to be oop so I've only got 6 of them.
Azzabat
Flag: Canada

Postby Azzabat » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:40 am

That is some seriously shiny paintwork. The feathers really pop and I'm loving the way the blue interacts with the armour. What paints/colors did you use for the blue and the armour?
I know the voices aren't real ... but they have such FASCINATING ideas!

C J = )
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:28 am

Basecoats: Blue - hawk turquoise (now oop, but a close equiv exists), metals - leadbelcher
Wash: drakenhoff nightshade (on both)
Highlight 1: basecoat colours
Highlight 2: Blue - Hawk Turquoise & white mix, Metal - Ironbreaker

The feathers is all the model really, it's just basecoat and wetbrush highlight, then a wash applied just in the spaces between the rows of feathers.
Jay

Postby Jay » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:14 pm

That's an awesome Chaos army you have there! I bet when you and Bueno hit that Fantasy table it's a real site to behold - a visual feast of beautiful models!
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:56 pm

Only ever played Ben with my TK and they're one of my worst painted! Safe to say none of my armies are quite at bens level though guess i should challenge him with my woodies for the best looking armies of the forest challenge!

But thanks jay, never gonna turn down a compliment.
Bueno

Postby Bueno » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:53 pm

Dave Fraser wrote:Only ever played Ben with my TK and they're one of my worst painted! Safe to say none of my armies are quite at bens level though guess i should challenge him with my woodies for the best looking armies of the forest challenge!

But thanks jay, never gonna turn down a compliment.

I actually really liked the painting on you Tomb Kings, think you need to get some of these other armies out for me to see. Angel dude looks awesome, really like the colour scheme.

Good to see your still finding some painting time with the new little one
Twitter: @bueno_ben

Plog: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1401
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:20 am

So my incredibly slow progress continues. I've now finished off a second mage for the army and built the rest of the peg knights (though I'm leaving off the wings and shoulderpads until they're painted and will stick them on after to make the painting process easier.

Here's the mage, he was made by chopping a reaper foot mage in half and sticking him too the legs from a glade rider, the horse is from the HE mage kit I think (got it in a heap of bits from a mate years ago). Pretty quick and simple painjob to match the rest of my stuff but I've finally remembered how to do my golds in the manner I like so that made me happy!

And here's the peg knights:

I've also now picked up 3 of the Mantic Angel guys to use as characters on pegs in the army, the styling is slightly different but hopefully will fit in ok.
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:34 pm

Forgot that I'd also knocked out the crew for the two trebs (machines were painted a year ago). As I don't have the actual treb model these guys were just random bits shoved together from what I had, there were a few Bret parts in an empire trade I'd done so I tried to use as many of them as possible but just filled the rest in with some free company guys.

Seeing as they're just wound markers nothing too fancy, I did try to make the blue and yellow look a lot drabber and dirtier to reflect that they're lowly peasants and not going to have the quality laundry service of the knights!
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:33 am

Ex-Illis Archangels. Really awesome models but sadly a game system which went bust and is no longer available. These guys are potentially a highlight of the line but really nice figs playing the part of pegasus knights in my army. Bit of a shoddy picture but I'll try and get a new one once the army is all based up.

Mantic Angels being used to add to units/ be characters because the other model is oop, these guys are crap by comparison, the wings are junk detailwise, the heads were awful, exposed flesh and really small so I've gone for headswaps with GW knights. And of course they're made out of restic rather than plastic as per the ex-illis dudes, so just generally harder to work with. But I'm happy with the look after the headswap, helps make them a bit more imposing so glad I'll be able to add more pegs through this approach in future if I want to expand the number in my list.
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:22 am

As a nice break from army painting I pulled out a Warmachine figure to paint, Magnus the Traitor, a mercenary warcaster.

I have played a handful of games of WM&H so not something I pull out much and only own a small force but loved the look of this figure and way he plays on the table (pretty simple!).

Azzabat

Postby Azzabat » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:17 am

Loving the detail, particularly how you've done the eye. Even managed to get the angry frown look in. :)

C J = )
CH1LLYD0GG
Flag: Falkland Islands

Postby CH1LLYD0GG » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:38 am

Well done Dave.

Like your model count system. Might have to swipe that ;)
Admire the way you can stay focused on one project (I get distracted).
Keep up the good work.
Last edited by CH1LLYD0GG on Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cider I up Landlord
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:08 pm

Cheers guys, Magnus was fun to paint, smashed it out in a couple of hours.

Dogg, pm me your email and I'll send over a copy of my spreadsheet. I found it on a guys blog and tweaked it to suit my needs.

Got a bit if time to paint today an bashed out a unit of flesh hounds to add to my daemons.

Still need basing and a few highlights but more or less match the army level now.
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:35 pm

So for Chillidog's benefit I'm going to show just how easily I'm distracted! At the start of the year I had intended on painting up a High Elf army and getting that on the table. That then ended up getting put to one side while I finished off my TK and then my Brets (though I did just buy the 3 new models for them in the mantic angels). But with those projects now finished I should go back and do my HE right... Well, perhaps not.

An earlier project which equally got shelved was my empire army. Very simple and classic paintscheme of red and white being the call of the day, though to be honest most of them will be wearing head to toe armour for a proper wall of 1+ saves! That said here's the one properly finished and based model from the army:

Strictly speaking it's not the right crew, but they do the trick! To be clear this isn't a newly painted model for this year but a reminder of an older project I'm finally getting back round to.

I pulled out my trusty quartermaster programme and knocked together a list which fits the essential requirement of being ETC legal (and therefore fits virtually any comp packs) and also one for which I've got all the models in my cupboard (I recently built 20 archer models from my bits box for the army as I'd picked up a bunch of random freecompany etc in trades so had no idea if I owned enough bows for what I wanted but turns out I could do it no worries).

List I'm looking to build is:
Grandmaster
BSB on horsie
Warrior Priest on horsie
2x Mages
15 Knights - FCG
2x10 Archers
2x4 Demis
Cannon
Tank
Hurricanum

With a smattering of magic items and upgrades that comes to 2400pts on the nose.
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:43 pm

Back to finishing the Bretonnians

That's the last of the models painted, just need to base everything now, as you can see I've started to do that with the peg knights.
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Tue May 06, 2014 9:26 am

First unit of brets all based up (well actually it's what I'll be using as characters but you get the point)

Really quite happy with how it worked out, I wanted the base to be relatively drab to hopefully pop the colour scheme even more and I think that it has worked.
Munkey

Postby Munkey » Tue May 06, 2014 12:42 pm

You're right about the basing, they look just the way brets should. What have you used for the basing Dave?
Yay! I'm good with Skavens again :lol:

"F*** you Nibbles" "I thought I was going to get Best in Race...then I saw your name on the list and all hope vanished"
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Tue May 06, 2014 12:58 pm

1. Pollyfilla, into which I sink a few bits of cork and some slate then let it dry. Pollyfilla lets you build up some height differences.
2. layer of bird sand which I try to avoid going over the slate with, sometimes goes on cork, sometimes not.
3. Paint it up - Multiple layers of drybrushing over an 'off-black' colour.
- Coat d'Arms Panzer Grey (base colour)
- Rhinox Hide drybrush (put this on quite heavily)
- doombull brown drybrush
- Mourngang brown drybrush (pretty sparing on this, just patches of colour)
- XV-88 drybrush
- Karak Stone drybrush

Stones are done in a similar way:
- C'DA Panzer Grey
- Adeptus Battlegrey (OOP foundation)
- Shadow Grey (OOP GW)
- Skull White (sometimes mixed with battlegrey if I want a less stark transition, then white after)

Snow is just GW snow mixed with PVA and smeared on then more snow effect sprinkled on top.

Finally tufts are Mininatur Winter Tufts, can't remember which size would guess 6mm?

Or if you meant how do I make my movement trays it's plasticard and 5mm square balsawood which I cut to size.
Bueno

Postby Bueno » Tue May 06, 2014 3:57 pm

should Bret's basing be peasants laying on the rode so that the knights don't get their horses fine coats dirty?

in all seriousness they look great, colour scheme is v nice and the basing sets it off exactly as you intended.
Twitter: @bueno_ben

Plog: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1401
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Thu May 08, 2014 12:16 pm

my horsies have dirty robes, don't worry the peasants can clean them later.

Cheers Ben, gonna have something else for you to take a look at come the 1 dayer next weekend. Would appreciate a good chat about painting and what my next steps should be to try and get the army up to the level of painting awards/nominations.
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Mon May 12, 2014 7:13 am

Peg knight updated with the bases, definitely happy with how the army is coming together now I'm basing them up, just seems the look of the painting on the figs (which is pretty basic).

Ex-illis

Mantic

Next up grail knights & trebs get their bases then it's just the fireforge knights and the army is done. Woot.
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:03 pm

Been frantically painting up WE in the last month or so, all stuff I'd done a basic standard on before but now trying to make it all look nice. As such no pics are going on the internet as want to keep the buzz for it's first big event which is Thundergods at the weekend.

But since I got it all finished I've cleared a couple of WIPs off my painting table that have been sat there a while.

First off a HE mage that is from the army I got all based up 6m ago and then shelved.

Secondly because I'm getting back into Malifaux I got the incentive to finally go and finish off the paintjob on my second beckoner (not that I have the crew they're designed to be used with!).

And yes, boobies.
Munkey

Postby Munkey » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:22 pm

Bewbs!
Yay! I'm good with Skavens again :lol:

"F*** you Nibbles" "I thought I was going to get Best in Race...then I saw your name on the list and all hope vanished"
Vyper

Postby Vyper » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:04 pm

I'm not sure what I'm more jealous of, the rate at which you paint models, or the smooth and bright yellows you manage. All your minis look great!
Your local Infinity War Correspondent.
Check out my wargaming blog at http://www.lead-rising.com.
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:00 pm

The yellow is incredibly easy, there are a couple of different ways I've tried but mostly come out the same. Key for me is working over a white basecoat, anything else is just a struggle.

1. paint it with yellow paint, then wash it with cassandora yellow, some highlights on raised areas with a small amount of white mixed into the yellow
2. Glaze twice with lamentors yellow glaze, cassandora.

If not working off white I have tried using the averland sunset base colour but find I end up spending forever working white and yellow layers/glazes to get it bright enough.

As for the rate I paint it's largely down to my technique and the years of learning to take every single shortcut under the sun to get a decent tabletop level army together. Very little of my painting holds up to close scruitiny but when put down as a consistent force on the table that generally gets overlooked. Most of the armies only have about 4-5 colours on them, utilise vats of washes/glazes and then increasingly I spend more time doing the base than the model which makes everyone look at that rather than notice the half assed paint job. The other thing is if you look at the brets there are only about 2 bare faces in the entire army, so saved a bunch of complex painting time there, instead it's paint helmet silver and wash. If you think about things like that in the building stage you can cut down painting time massively, but doesn't always give you the best looking end models.

I think part of my speed is the fact I use a white undercoat so get really good coverage of my base layers and then use washes to shade my recesses which are really easy to put on and leave to dry overnight/while I do something else, so I don't spend a lot of time on getting an even coverage over a dark undercoat which is what used to really slow me down when I workd off black.
Vyper

Postby Vyper » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:22 pm

I agree completely on your choice of undercoat colour. I've never been able to paint over black, it just feels counter-intuitive. I'm definitely going to give your yellow a go though - I just need to find a sacrificial chaos warrior...
Your local Infinity War Correspondent.
Check out my wargaming blog at http://www.lead-rising.com.
Azzabat

Postby Azzabat » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:28 pm

I used to paint over a white undercoat but could never get a sharp definition between colors. Tried a black undercoat leaving the black in the recesses which worked for defining different colors but was a ball-ache on bright colors. I even tried a dark brown undercoat for a while. Now I use Vallejo's Stonewall Grey with a wash of Nuln Oil. Gives me the definition between colors, and is light enough to take a single coat of reds or yellows.

C J = )
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:50 am

based up and I'll call it done.
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:48 pm

My meandering through other game systems continues. Here's a couple of infinity Adriana Line Kazaks I've basecoated & washed then done the bases on.

Return to “Hobbycraft”