Dave paints stuff

For the enthusiast who likes to make, break and recreate all things game related! Discuss painting, converting, scenery etc.
Bueno

Re: Dave paints stuff

Postby Bueno » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:04 am

are these going to double up as waywatchers? :)
Twitter: @bueno_ben

Plog: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1401
Dave Fraser
Flag: Micronesia

Postby Dave Fraser » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:25 am

Bueno wrote:are these going to double up as waywatchers? :)

pff no need, I've already got 20!

Found a couple of hours spare last night after the mrs went to bed and knocked out another malifaux figure. This guy is a Guild Lawyer, basically a nasty piece of work that hits you with horrible debufs stopping you doing fun stuff. So just like a real lawyer!

The highlights/shading on the black are destroyed in the picture but I'm much happier with how it looks in person.
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:11 am

And a couple of dogs (2 more to come). Had something odd happen with testors dullcoat, pulled the undercoat coulour through more than before it was on there changing my colours. Slightly annoying but think will just live with it.

Normally been using a different brand of Matt varnish (brush/airbrush on) so may well put the testors to one side when not working with a black undercoat if it's gonna do that!
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:10 pm

a rather junk picture but here's the second pair of dogs.
Azzabat
Flag: Canada

Postby Azzabat » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:55 am

I'm liking the sand color you've got on the bases. What did you use for the texture and the paint colors?
I know the voices aren't real ... but they have such FASCINATING ideas!

C J = )
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:51 pm

in this instance they are resin bases that I got in a trade when I bought the models so no idea where they came from.

Colour is actually done differently across all 4 bases as I was trying to remember how I did it! But basically it's:
coat d'arms mid stone
drybrushed coat d'arms dessert yellow
drybrushed desert yellow & white mixed together
then given a wash of seraphim sepia watered down to about 50% of out the pot consistency.
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:56 pm

Mrs was out with the kids this morning so I had some time to paint, continuing to blitz through my malifaux stuff I went after my Teddy. I picked up the Nightmare edition one from the gencon sale a few years back but until now he had sat in a box somewhat unloved. Thankfully Teddies look awesome in M2e so given me the incentive to build him and get it painted up.

For scale this is over 3" tall and on a 50mm round base, so he's now the biggest model in my Malifaux collection, currently have him stood next to lord chompy bits and chompy looks small :-( (curse never getting that nightmare edition!).

Great fun to paint, mostly just drybrushes and pick out a few details on the face, bowtie and the gaping hole in his side.
Rossi

Postby Rossi » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:56 am

Looks very sharp! Amazing model aswel.
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:23 am

Thanks, and yeah great fun to paint.

Ok, I mentioned above that once I start working on Malifaux models I can’t put them down. Well, wow, that really has been the case, since I dug it all back out I’ve been smashing out figures at a furious pace. I’ve been painting far less than the last few years so no pressure to do anything quickly, but seems that the love of these models has overtaken me!

Steampunk Abominations

Pretty simple little paintjobs, basically undead skintone which I’ve gone a bit greeny on, originally started out intending to be more grey but mid way through painting just went with a bit more colour to see how it would look. Tried to do denim style trousers on them and then a nice aged bronze/brass look to the metallics as didn’t want a steel finish. Tempted to go back and add a load of rust effect seeing as these guys are basically dead buried things that come out the ground in the stories.

Realised I've gone back to them since the pic was taken and added some more detail like the tongue colour and deepening the shading on the recesses of the skin.

Killjoy

Another really fun guy to paint, did the skin the same tones as the SPAs because I’d imagine I’ll probably use him with that crew, but will also no doubt be seeing time in some of my others seeing as he’s such a lovely beater and a merc to boot. These old original sculpts of Wyrds have a certain something about them, you can tell that they were designed just as a model to sell and not something specifically for a game they all have a certain charm about them. Played about with blood and rust effects on him to add a bit of extra detail to what otherwise would be quite a plain model.

Widow Weaver
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:45 pm

This month I have mostly been painting dragons.

I'd done the Forest, Dark and Thunder dragons before but I've painted up a heap of new ones this month.

Also painted a stompy robot with a grenade launcher gun for malifaux.
Azzabat

Postby Azzabat » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:20 pm

I like the metal effect. Almost green but not quite, almost metal but not quite. Did you use metallics or was this a Non-metallic metal paint job?

CJ = )

C J = )
Kevx3

Postby Kevx3 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:42 pm

Im loving the dragons (i have an unhealthy obsession with them). I notice the tiny reaper minature one in the back :p but where did you get your hydra-type one from. Never seen that one (that i recall)
Well, it's been fun.
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:30 am

It's the reaper hydra but with some wings added. Wings come from a reaper daemon model. Got both as part of the first bones kickstarter, same goes for the clockwork dragon.
Kevx3

Postby Kevx3 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:24 pm

Ah ha. That is pretty sweet conversion *thumbs up*
Well, it's been fun.
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:56 am

So I've been a tad lax on my updates of recent, but fear not I've been steadily plugging away at various armies over the past month.

The main point of work has been going back to my High Elves I'd planed to do in the first 6m of the year (then promptly boxed and abandoned).

I've now painted up 600pts of core in my wonderful Iron Bru colour scheme:

This pic is slightly wip, basing still to be finished and no shields on the Helms

Here are the finished helms:

Also been carrying on with my large monster painting but somehow ended up with no pictures of the next dragon I did or the frostheart phoenix, so will try and take some pics when I'm able.

And for malifaux I got a great deal on a Lynch crew (with a stack of extras) so painted up one of the illuminated
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:42 am

These guys had been speed painted previously (about 4hrs all in, but the fabric was all done in red as it had been a scheme I was considering but since dropped). So I’ve redone the clothing to match the army colours.

I should redo the basing to match too, but dunno if I can bring myself to do so right now or if I’ll just lump it as a slight mismatch for the tourney, will cost me some points but as the whole army is pretty basically painted and I’m not taking a particularly serious list do I care?
Kevx3

Postby Kevx3 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:50 pm

Damn fine speed painting there. 4hrs for a whole unit, very nice.
Well, it's been fun.
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:00 pm

Marauder horse:

Took me far to long to finish for what are pretty basic paintjobs, just couldn't get into these guys.

Back to the HE next plus some wild riders for the WE.
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:33 am

High Elf army for Tribute
So I got the army done but it still needs a bit more work to look ‘nice’. What’s there is basically a basecoat and wash to the position of being an acceptable min for the tabletop, my opinion obviously, mileage may vary!

When I have time (probably next year now) I’d like to go back and touch up a lot of the models, most of the white lions just have brown cloaks at the moment, so need to become white to fit their name! And a few other bits and pieces which have been subject to shortcuts such as all the orange in the army would benefit from a few highlights.

Wild Riders
Again only done to a tabletop level, would want to go back and add a lot more detail/highlights to fit in with the better painted elements of my WE.
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:15 am

Part of my crusade to paint all the armies I have done this WoC army to lend out at the maul. I didn't write the list so lacking a lot of what you normally see in a WoC army, but easy to add that at a later date!

Lord on dragon, 3 chimera, magma dragon, black dragon. A few units for 750pts of core.
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:39 pm

Been a while and I've barely painted anything, when I get like that I did the key is to paint a nice simple model with good clean detail. In this instance I also had a relatively newly assembled kickstarter for relic Knights sat in a box waiting for some love, so I picked one of them, the doctorine librarian.

Nickyc
Flag: Great Britain

Postby Nickyc » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:28 am

Not sure how I missed this thread, your work is fantastic Dave. The high elf stuff is first class, loving you Dragons.
KolgothMountaineater

Postby KolgothMountaineater » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:23 pm

That Doctorine librarian just makes me think of Bane from the Batman comics. Awesome mini and great paintwork.
That rumbling's not thunder, the great maw hungers!!

I lead the mightiest ogre horde in Bristol!

WHFB armies: High Elves, Ogre Kingdoms, Lizardmen, Skaven, Nippon Empire, Dwarf Slayers, & Orcs & Goblins.
40k armies: Black Templars & Orks
Warmahordes: Legion of Everblight & Rhulic Mercenaries
Mailifaux factions: Ten Thunders & Viktorias
Necromunda: Cawdor gang
Azzabat

Postby Azzabat » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:40 pm

Loving the flesh tones, especially the highlites. This is the color scheme I always try for, but never quite get. Excellent work.

C J = )

C J = )
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:47 am

So no updates through December. Mainly because work was crazy busy. But I did paint a load of epic stuff, seems to be kicking off big time at the club so I'm getting my army all painted up.

Done in dec:
8 dire avengers
4 dire dragons
4 dark reapers
8 scouts
5 jetbikes
1 vyper
1 vampire
1 falcon (5 already painted)
4 firestorms
3 fire prisms

Not taken pics of the rest but will do. A full army shot soon as nearly finished.
Mark_T

Postby Mark_T » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:52 am

Nice work. The jetbikes are so cute!
Dave Fraser

Postby Dave Fraser » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:02 am

Finished painting my epic eldar army.

4100pts done so far, lots still to add!
Mark_T

Postby Mark_T » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:19 am

Looks awesome
HistoricalGeorge

Postby HistoricalGeorge » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:50 am

Makes me want to get mine out!
Azzabat

Postby Azzabat » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:39 pm

HistoricalGeorge wrote:Makes me want to get mine out!

Steady on!

:lol:

C J = )

Return to “Hobbycraft”