Zombie survival skirmish campaign

Arrange your games here. Games are currently played at the old duke

Moderator: Stu's Idle

Wiggles
Flag: Great Britain

Zombie survival skirmish campaign

Postby Wiggles » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:04 am

For the uninitiated, a few of us are wanting some skirmish campaign action, specifically zombie survival. If you're interested in joining, drop a line below.

So I've been looking at Skirmish Outbreak (now Skirmish Ragers because reasons). It's got nice production values, but apparently that didn't stretch to hiring an editor. While frequently reminding me of something I'd write in highschool, it also has some good ideas, which start appearing once you've read it all.

Campaign structure
Missions. If you win a mission you can choose the next, if not, roll randomly. This is probably the weakest part of the system. There's no real PvP battle (but then it wouldn't exactly be difficult to write one in), rather they are all scenarios - get food, get ammo, etc - with another human player sometimes playing a temporary disposible opfor. There're no rules as written "end" to the campaign but again, shouldn't be difficult to write one in.

Features
- Optional deterministic zombie control, although given how prescriptive player controlled zombie actions are it might as well be deterministic
- Incentivises stealthy play, going loud summons zombies and makes zombies already on the map more active
- Pretty good balance between horde armies and elite squads that isn't apparent until you get a grasp on the rules, so much so that I'm wanting to run at least 2 groups
- Limiting factor for powerful groups, that simultaneously allows underpowered groups to close the gap without penalising the former

There are other rulesets I could look at, but I think we've got a good starter for ten here. It might be good to have a session 0 with any interested parties
Talk is cheap. Come, face me!
740/1550/2355pts FoW Early/Mid/Late
Armada

Obligatory Wargaming Blog
All That Remains Project Blog
Azzabat
Flag: Canada

Re: Zombie survival skirmish campaign

Postby Azzabat » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:53 am

You had me at "Zombies"! :mrgreen:

Count me in.
I know the voices aren't real ... but they have such FASCINATING ideas!

C J = )
Wiggles
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Zombie survival skirmish campaign

Postby Wiggles » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:10 pm

Azzabat wrote:.
You had me at "Zombies"! :mrgreen:

Count me in.

You know I'm doing this for you!
Talk is cheap. Come, face me!
740/1550/2355pts FoW Early/Mid/Late
Armada